Carrying 2 Terratrikes

Hi:

My wife has had a Whizwheel for a couple of years now. Yesterday, I finally joined the Terratrike family by buying a left over 2011 Tour!

Do any of your carry 2 Terratrikes on your cars? How do you carry them?

The Prius does not support anything heavier than a Class 1 trailer hitch, so the Draftmaster type carriers won't work. These manufacturers appear to be pretty admant that you can not exceed 50% of the trailer hitch's tongue weight. The Draftmaster or ATOC racks weigh about 60 pounds and each of our trikes tip the scales at 37 pounds each. Between the hitch and the two trikes, I am well over the over 50% limit of my 200 pound tongue weight hitch.

I have a Yakima rack system for my Prius which we used for our two wheel bikes but the hardware does not work for the trikes. Hoping that Yakima had a trike solution, I went on their website looking and found nothing. What I did see was a wheel cup which clamps a wheel to the crossbar that is part of a model Boa rack mount. With the Boa, you take off the front wheel and clamp the bike in in it. For the back wheel, you use a wheel cup. Fortunately, I have square crossbars so this cup will not be able to rotate. What I was thinking was buying 6 of these as spare parts and using them to secure the trike's wheels to the crossbars. Has anybody tried anything like that? If so, how did it work?

Thanks! I can't wait for the ice and snow to clear out so I can ride the Tour!

Comments

• I do something similar to what you mention earlier. I had two Yakima racks on my Toyota truck that I used to carry upright/recumbent bikes on. I purchased a third tray from a guy on Craigslist,on it I just use the cinch straps.So I just use the three trays and cinch straps on three wheels.It works well.The other thing you could do,is carry one trike on top,and one trike on a truck mounted rack such as a Saris Bones.You would mount the cross member of the trike to the rack and rest the rear wheel on the trunk or back window. I hope this is helpful.
    Andrew
  • I have thought of a small trailer to transport my Rover, even more so, when I found out that Harbor Freight Tools sells a small 870# capacity trailer for only $219.00 + tax and shipping.
    It can be set up for two trikes next to each other, like one facing forward and the other facing to the rear you can use it for hauling many other things as well. I also have a class I hitch on my Suzuki SX4 crossover, I guess you can see that I am a frugal kind of guy. :roll: :idea:
    Happy Trikings !
  • Dear Amonk and TriKings:

Many thanks for your promp responses!

If I wasn't able to get the plastic wheel cups from Yakima, I was going to get trays like Amonk did. I am amazed that Yakima isn't marketing this as a trike carrying solution.

TriKing, I had thought of the trailer as well and that will be the day to day carrier for our trikes. I am looking for a used 5' by 8' utility trailer with a ramp right now. It will be so easy to use that my wife is excited about doing it by herself. She wants to be able to take the trike by herself and ride while I am at work. The problem is that when we travel in our Motorhome, we tow the Prius behind it and I can not tow the trike trailer behind the Prius.

Thanks again!
  • I'm trying to figure out the solution to this as well. I drive a 2002 Prius, and finally got the hitch installed at UHaul yesterday. Have you considered an Alpaca double trike carrier? Mike at Easy Street Recumbents suggested it, as the hitch has an additional strap which can hook onto the trunk or hatchback to help minimize some of the stress on the hitch. I wish I could find someone who is presently using this trike carrier on a 1 1/4 hitch for some feedback.
  • So far, I only have one trike, and lucky for me, it fits in the back of my Tucson. In time I hope to get a second trike for my lovely wife to ride with me, so I too am very interested. I have a 5X8 utility trailer, and two trikes *will* fit in it with no hassle, but for those that do not yet have a trailer, it is a hassle to keep a trailer around, year-round. Plate costs (depending on what state you live in), parking space for the trailer, and yearly maintenance on the trailer add up.

Plus, the reality of wanting to go for a few hour ride, it's a bit of work to hook up the trailer, load the trikes, parking, and so on - kinda feels like (at times) it's move of a hassle than it's worth.

A 'hitch-type' rack seems to be the best solution, as it is a one-time cost, and does not take up the space of having a trailer. My concern, besides the cost of such a rack, is that many of us do not have a 2" receiver hitch, but rather the 1.25" type. And from what I have read (no real experience), I am concerned that two trikes on a rack connected to a 1.25" receiver may risk to much side-loading and torque. So, that concern makes me circle right back to the trailer, and all the hassles it brings...

Thoughts?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • I use a Tractor Supply 4x6 trailer attached to my Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) to haul my path and The Wife's rover. One warning about using a trailer... they are designed to haul considerably more weight than just a couple of trikes and gear. Unless the trailer has a torsion axle (which most cheap trailers don't), they tend to bounce/vibrate with the light weight of the trikes. Make sure all your nuts are nice & tight (good general advice right there) and everything is strapped down good. I have lost a couple of the grenade pins, 1 headlamp and various other parts due to the vibration of the trailer. I now have a pretty decent spare parts kit that I keep in the car just in case the vibration is too much for the loc-tite blue. I also take any quick release accessories off before hitting the road. I've considered removing one of the 3 leaf-springs to try and soften the ride a little, but not being a mechanic or an engineer, I'm not sure how safe that would be.

On the plus side, I keep the trikes on the trailer in the garage and because it is so light it makes it really easy to move both trikes out of the way when needed. I've also bolted on a couple of the yakima bicycle carriers to either side rail, so that I can bring the kid's DF bikes with us easily.
  • I don't have 2 trikes, yet, however I do carry my rover and my wife's hybrid bike both on a hitchrider rack that fits in the 1.25 receiver on my Subaru Legacy, without any problems.
  • A 'hitch-type' rack seems to be the best solution, as it is a one-time cost, and does not take up the space of having a trailer. My concern, besides the cost of such a rack, is that many of us do not have a 2" receiver hitch, but rather the 1.25" type. And from what I have read (no real experience), I am concerned that two trikes on a rack connected to a 1.25" receiver may risk to much side-loading and torque. So, that concern makes me circle right back to the trailer, and all the hassles it brings...

Rc Helicopter|Rc Helicopters
  • there is a carrier available for 2 at.
    http://www.hitchrider.com/carriers.htm.
  • My wife and I can fit 2 Rovers in our 2007 Kia Rondo. They fit in very easily and we have plenty of room to spare.