?No one has a Tour II?

edited September 2012 in Tour II
Wow I just joined and are there any others who have a tour II? Am I the only one? No topics and its really hard to find any Videos. Even Terratrike has practically no Videos or info on the Tour II? Why is that? Well hopefully it will pick up soon. Love the Tour II by the way! Just got it today and I'm trying to learn everything there is to learn about it :).

Comments

• its very surprising that no where found Videos or info on the Tour II.
  • Since the Tour II model is brand new it is going to take some time for people to post and to make videos. We have our assembly video up. This trike came out late in the season so most people (at least in the north) aren't out riding yet. Expect to see a lot more posts here come this spring and summer.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Ok, I WANT a Tour II does that count? I have a 29' sailboat for sale and when it sells, I will be ordering a Tour II for myself and then my Rover 8 will be going to my wife.
  • Oh very good point Kelli about the season. I am so looking forward to this spring and summer :D . I love the Tour II and was just surprised that it is very hard to find much info on it as well as videos but like you said Kelli, once weather clears up and the Tour has been out a little longer hopefully we'll have a big Tour II fan base. I myself purchased the Tour II just last week even though it was raining cats and dogs here in Northern California (finally) because I'm an all weather type of guy and just couldn't wait :lol: . Happy Triking!
  • I have a Tour II Base now, and I love it! I previously had a Rover 8 and traded it in. It's nice. Not sure what to say about it. It's what it says it is, lightweight, 24 speed, low to the ground. I wish they made the chair wider (I'm a big guy), it seems my roommate's catrike is like that too. I'm ordering a seat pad. My rack worked good with my Rover 8 it was a hollywood rack with a trike adapter. I found that the Tour II was too low. I found that I had to re-configure the rack to get the Tour II to fit, now it fits, and looks better. I can't describe the change, but I'll eventually post some pics and videos probably.
  • Hi Harmono! Welcome to the Tour II club :D . Yes please some pictures and Vids would be great! I'm looking for a good video camera myself and I'm thinking of doing a travel log/diary. Something to motivate me to get out there and ride (not that I need much to want to get on my trike :lol: ) and to record my health/weight loss. I don't have any experience with any other trike so the Tour II is my first and I just love how low it is. Feels like a sports car that hugs the ground. I just today got mine out of shop, had to replace the Boom because silly me I ordered the wrong size when I had TerraTrike put it together for me. Kelli was FANTASTIC on helping me with this. so now that I have that sorted out as well as getting my gears adjusted (they were to tight) all is spinning smoothly and I'm so happy now. Oh and on the seat pad,. personally I like it and it does fit me well so no problems with that. I do know I'm going to love it when summer comes. I live in sunny California and summer can get HOT so having the mesh type backing is going to help with air flow (is that what its called? Mesh? ).
  • Oh hey Rainriding (love your name). I didn't see your post above in till now :oops: . Yes I do believe "wanting" a Tour II makes you a Brother/Sister in riding. Especially if your going to be selling a boat in order to get one :lol: . Once your wife see's you speeding away in one I have a feeling TerraTrikes will be getting another order in from you soon :lol: . Let us know here when you get yours. I'm going to try to put up some pictures here sometime soon but I'm going in for surgery this week, I'm Deaf and having inner ears worked on so hopefully I won't be out of it to long to ride again. See ya and happy triking all! :D
  • One of these days.
  • I am planning on a Tour II this Spring, and considering a couple of options. First, is it worthwhile to upgrade from an 8 speed to a 24 speed? Also, same question regarding upgrade to a 26" rear wheel?
  • jschulte wrote:
    I am planning on a Tour II this Spring, and considering a couple of options. First, is it worthwhile to upgrade from an 8 speed to a 24 speed? Also, same question regarding upgrade to a 26" rear wheel?

Couple thoughts...Your gear range will be better on the Tour II Base (24 speed.) Depending in where you live this may not matter. Also pertaining to terrain, the 26" rear wheel will shift your gear range up. You will lose some of your low hill climbing gears, but you will gain some high speed gearing.

Think about your area before you make either of these decisions.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • jshulte, I think it's worth upgrading to a 24 speed, however with my weight I"m not sure that a Tour II is the best option for someone over 250 pounds. The reason the 24 speed is worth it for me particularly is because it's really a pain to climb hills with an 8 speed. Then you will later on have to upgrade to a 24 speed and sell your Rover 8 like I did.

I wrote a post regarding overweight people and recumbent trikes, hoping that this feedback would help TerraTrike in design, and future model options.

http://www.terratrike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1276

In this post, in a nutshell I recommend that TerraTrike look into the possibility of a special trike for overweight people that has larger wheels (possibly) and has 24 speeds.
  • I have a Tour II pro. It has mirrors, lights, twin flags with bikeglow lighting wrapped around each one, rear rack with bag, seat bag, delux fenders and an oregon 450 GPS. Soon to have custom handle bars and a 26" rear wheel. It also carries a can of udap bear spray under the seat for overly close furry woodland creatures (or drivers with road rage.....). I'll post pics when i can get them downloaded from my I Phone.

You are not alone.....Tour II,s rock!!!!!!!
  • Thanks to the folks at TT I recieved my Tour II Elite. It has been fitted with pedal clips, Origin8 155mm cranks, lights, flag, seat bag, rear rack w/bag, bell, mirrors, GPS, Ipod holder, 2 water bottle holders, pump, and a tool kit. I've been having a blast riding for the last 2 weeks. Trying to get used to the comments from non bent riders on the trails but I just think they are jealous that I am riding in comfort!!
  • Hi Mossyfrog, check out terrafirma I believe he has a tour II, He is my hero, with all those cool videos he has on Utube as trikboy in the trike squadron.
  • I have a Tour II since the end of March. I'm over 1300 miles already and have really enjoyed it. Also bought my wife a Rover 8 shortly after, since she was so impressed with it, and she's over 650 miles since end of May. I have BE shifters, 26" rear wheel, TT rack, pan bags, cool BikeFlagUSA.com custom flags, and the high-perf idler kit by TerraCycle. I used a velco-attached mirror on my left BE. Questions are welcome. I do my own install/maint if anyone has a question about something I may have done or needs a better picture of some part. I had a few hiccups from the LBS assembly as it was his first TT assembly, but his customer service is great so I can't complain too much. I can't seem to post any pics here...
  • Having the 24 speed drivetrain is nice if you are already accustomed to it. My wife's Rover 8 hub drivetrain is pretty cool, but I prefer derailleurs. Someday, I'll upgrade her to a 26" rear with a wider gearset, maybe a Nuvinci type.

The 26" kit is worth it. Slightly less rolling resistance, longer wheelbase, better over bumps, looks cool. I can email pictures if requested, but am unable to post pics here for some reason.
  • I purchased a Tour II this spring and have managed to put about 1000 miles on it so far. I really do love this bike!

Pros
    Hills - Going down you'll blow by everyone else.
    Comfort - Can you say portable lawn chair?
    Perceptions - Most people and specially kids always comment on it.

Cons
    Hills - Going up everyone will pass you.
    Comfort - Your feet will swell due to position and pressure. Loosen your shoes and take short stand up breaks.
    Perceptions - Hardcore cyclist will turn their nose up at you (I think they're just jealous!).
    Visibility - It is very low profile, and cars tend to miss it on the sides and rear. A flag is a must if riding in automotive heavy areas.

Lessons Learned
    Knowing what I do now, I'd have:
    -Upgraded the back wheel to the 26" from the start.
    -Skipped the fenders.
    -Bought good biking shoes with the sole plate in them from the start.

The rear rack with panniers is something I don't think I'd could do without now.

I only knew the very basics when it came to adjusting brakes and derailleurs. I've learned a lot along those lines, but I do spend more time on upkeep compared to my buddies. That was something I wasn't aware of when started looking into tadpoles.

Bent knee always on the side you are turning towards. On sharp turns, lean with the turn. My first sharp curve at speed was a tip over. Now my buddies make comments on my rally car driving. A nice curving path at speed is a blast!

Transporting it by vehicle was a bit of a challenge. I ended up getting a HitchRider rack for my vehicle.

It can be challenging to find a spot to chain it up when out and about (grocery run).

JVCBike.jpg
  • mossyfrog wrote:
    Wow I just joined and are there any others who have a tour II? Am I the only one? No topics and its really hard to find any Videos. Even Terratrike has practically no Videos or info on the Tour II? Why is that? Well hopefully it will pick up soon. Love the Tour II by the way! Just got it today and I'm trying to learn everything there is to learn about it :).

You are not alone, I have had a Tour Two for about 3 months and love it. Can't tell you much about it except I enjoy riding it, and I must warn you. It can be turned on its side. 90 degree turn to the right, (a little to fast and the left wheel off the sidewalk, and over I went. I had to adjust the brake handles a little since I landed on the left side. I have read more of the info on the website and there is a warning. I have been bragging to my friends that I got it because I couldn't fall off of it. I'm a little smarter now.

Enjoy

Dave
  • jschulte wrote:
    I am planning on a Tour II this Spring, and considering a couple of options. First, is it worthwhile to upgrade from an 8 speed to a 24 speed? Also, same question regarding upgrade to a 26" rear wheel?

I just ordered a Tour II and it will be here on Tuesday by the way. I ordered mine with a 26 inch wheel. I did some research and found that the larger wheel provides a more comfortable ride, very important to me, and that the other effects were that it increases the gear inches on the lower end from an 18 to a 25 and the same on the top end. So, that means slightly more work going up hills and slightly faster when on the flats. One reviewer said that getting the 26 inch wheel was a "no brainer" for anyone who was going to do any distance riding.

Sincerely,

Randel
  • Just picked mine up yesterday! Had some issues getting it to fit me (6'4" tall) my dealer had to order in a long boom so for now my boom is blue. I kinda like the blue color better but he would'nt paint the rest to match :x . It took some configuring on my part but I finally got my Nuvinci rear wheel on it, cause I hate derailers! Rides out real nice now!