ldlers

edited May 2012 in Accessories
A series of questions on idlers:

1) My Tour (recent purchase) has fully-cogged idlers, yet the replacement idler that came as part of an accessory package is non-cogged. What advantage does the cogged idler provide?

2) What specific advantage does the Heavy Duty Idler Wheel kit provide? Does it employ bearings vs. bushings? The photo on the website shows one cogged one smooth wheel; refer to question 1) above.

3) If the Heavy Duty Idler Wheel kit is a distinct advantage, why is it only specified for the front, not the rear?

I ask because sometimes when I'm on a good uphill pull I can feel the vibrations in the frame from individual chain links passing over one of the components in the path. I'm uncertain whether this is one or more of the idlers, the cassette, etc.

Thanks in advance.

www.clothingshopmall.com

Comments

• With respect, I think the best answer is to call TT and talk with one of the techs. I personally know next to nothing, so would be a poor help to you.
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Based on some research I will try to answer your questions... Disclaimer: I'm probably wrong ;)

1) Cogged idlers create less friction, transfer power more efficently and create less noise. This means any time the idler comes in contact with a part of the chain carrying a load, it is better to use a cogged idler. If you apply power to your pedal while looking at your trike, it's pretty easy to tell which part of the chain is under load. The smooth idlers are fine for the 'return' part of the chain that is only under the load of it's own weight (and maybe the derailleur spring).
    Either type will work in any location on your trike, but the smooth ones will wear faster if they are placed along the load bearing path of your chain.

2) The Heavy Duty idlers are made of metal instead of the Delrin resin that Terratrike uses standard. They will last a lot longer. As far as I know all Terratrike idlers use bearings, not bushings and so do the Heavy Duty idlers. I am assuming the reason they come with one smooth & one cogged is for the reasons in question 1... one would be on the power side of the chain and one on the return.

3) I'm just guessing that your front idler set are the ones that take the most abuse when you apply power to the pedals.

Hope that helps, but I agree with Peter. The folks at Terratrike will be the best resource(s) to ask.
  • Check out the high performance idler kit from Utah Trikes by Terracycle. Different power side chain routing, 1 less idler. Mine is on order already, should have it this week. In one of dregerclock's youtube videos (over the hill on a recumbent) watch at about the 7 minute mark as he pans the drivetrain and you'll see the upgraded idler routing and idlers in action. You never hear his chain noise in the videos either.
  • mmaxon888 wrote:
    Check out the high performance idler kit from Utah Trikes by Terracycle. Different power side chain routing, 1 less idler. Mine is on order already, should have it this week. In one of dregerclock's youtube videos (over the hill on a recumbent) watch at about the 7 minute mark as he pans the drivetrain and you'll see the upgraded idler routing and idlers in action. You never hear his chain noise in the videos either.

I am using the high performance idler kit and it's OK. Chain routing is cool...it looks meaner and is way quiet, but there is more chain slack, I had to use a tube on the power side to prevent damage to my seat, and I am still running a front derailleur (not really recommended, so that's on me). I think it would be great if I had an internally geared front hub. The front der has to be too far away from the front chain ring with that chain routing to shift well. The tube defeats some of the purpose of having a clean, floating driveline, and I really don't want a Schlumpf front hub because the whole point of this drive train is to be maximally efficient. A front der is more efficient than an internal.

I've also had mixed results with Utah Trikes. They sent me the idler kit was supposed to contain a seat guard (from their web page):
    "We do include a seat guard to prevent damage to the seat."
    It did not. When I called them they said to cut and fold up a cut up plastic 2L soda bottle??? I also later emailed them about a custom boom with a front derailleur post that would be optimized for the setup. They said it would be around $200. I was interested, followed up and asked what they needed from me to get things going (drawings, down payment, whatever) and haven't heard from them since. On other contacts with them I've gotten lukewarm customer service...nothing horrible, but nothing to get excited about either.

YMMV,
    G