How to stabilize the Cruiser on downhill runs?

edited April 2012 in Legacy Products
Any suggestions how to improve the steering stability of the Cruiser?
My Cruiser is very twitchy on downhill runs over 25 mph. it is nerve wracking.

Background:
It has the optional 26" rear wheel.
The components are in good shape and well maintained.
I verified the bearing surfaces are snug, including the kingpin bushings and other bushings.
It has toe-in of 1/16" from front to back of the front rims.
I steer with a light touch.
I am aware of pedal and brake steer and I am careful to minimize these.

Thanks,
Doug

Comments

• Hi Doug
    On my Cruiser over 25 also is a little cracy
    all I can say it I hold the bars real easy
    Make sure your toe in or toe out is set right
    I also am thinking of some kind of Stabilizer
    Did you upgrade your steering
    Doug I will PM you my Cell # if you want to call
    “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”
  • Hi, Doug. You might like to try this.

Bump-steer is the trade off against the relative comfort provided by frame flex. For example, any steering input to the right will cause your torso, due to it's inertia, to lean left in the seat. The seat stay transfers this force to the left dropout, tilting the rear wheel slightly to the left = instant oversteer.
    Now, with the intention of raising my overall gear ratio (a fatter tyre is also a taller tyre), I fitted a nice fat BMX tyre to the rear of my Cruiser (20 x 2.1) but retained the skinny 20 x 1.25s on the front. When I took it for a spin another, unexpected, benefit was immediately apparent... INCREASED STABILITY!

I run all tyres at, or close to, 100 psi for minimum rolling resistance which keeps that rear one riding on only the central rib in a straight line. I'm assuming that when the wheel tilts and starts to drift outwards the contact area enlarges somewhat, thereby providing more grip. Whether or not that assumption is correct, my machine's natural oversteer attitude (and twitchiness at speed) has been tamed, from "wild' to "mild". Oh, by the way, it also (only slightly) delays the onset of wheelspin when pushing hard on gravel or grass.

As I said, my aim had been to increase gearing, my Cruiser being too old for the 26" wheel conversion. With a 56 tooth chainring obtained from Utah Trikes I have quite cheaply raised my gearing by an estimated 11 percent - 4% from that fat tyre and around 7% from the chainring. 102 gear inches instead of the factory specified 91. Not that I'm particularly fit, mind you, I just like to enjoy the downhills. :twisted: