Quick Pin for the rack/seat connection?

edited June 2012 in Rambler
Does anyone know if there is a cotter pin type thingy that one could use to allow quick release of the seat/rear rack connection.
Because we have to carry the Ramblers in our Priuses, the vertical clearance is limited.
We have to fold back the Rambler's seat....but now that we have the rear racks it is time consuming and I drop the little nuts and washers.
I went to home depot and they had some pins that were the right idea, but too thick.
They found me a 2.5 inch "safety pin" type device which is a sloppy solution.
With it being so sloppy, I could feel the seat twisting on the boom....so that wont work.
The bolt that comes with the bike is 2 inches long, and is described as a #8 metric.

Comments

• Please let us know if you find a good solution. I mount my Rambler on the roof of my car and it is killing my gas mileage. If that seat could quickly fold down it sure would be helpful. Like you said, the time it takes to disconnect the rack is a pain, so I skip it.
  • In looking at the design of the rack, it appears that the braces that attach from the rack to the back of the Rambler's seat have the primary purpose of preventing front to back movement of the rack. They are not truly weight bearing and would not be expected to experience strong forces.
    As such, I am thinking that one of those front-to-back braces would be sufficient. Her is a potential solution to reduce folding time by 50%.

When in use:
    Use the left front-to-back rack brace with the manufacturer's hardware but utilize a wing nut, to facilitate removal. One skinny 2" bolt will be going through both the rack brace and the top seat brace holes.

Remove the right front-to-back rack brace and store in case you need it later.
    Keep the right seat to frame connections as from the manufacturer. Hopefully you will never need to remove them.

When desiring to lay the seat back as far as possible for transport:
    Unscrew the left front-to-back rack brace/seat brace bolt/wingnut assembly. Screw it back onto a random hole for safe keeping.
    Lay the left seat brace tubing horizontally. (you may want a velcro strap to hold it in place so it doesnt scratch your car)
    Pull the grenade pin from the right seat brace.
    Lift the seat forward to pull the seat tubing apart on the right.
    Now you may lay the seat very far back.
  • Of course, the best solution would be using both struts and having 2 perfectly sized cotter pins. Perhaps Terra Trike engineers can find such pins.
  • @TNRambler. I'm a Rover owner and have been considering the same issue (reducing the vertical height of the trike by folding the seat). Stopped for coffee during a ride early this week and in the coffee shop was a fellow that works for the Fastenal Co. (they make and sell all kinds of fasteners). Saw his truck outside and struck up a conversation about replacements for the "gernade" pins on our trikes. He tells me they are really called "cotterless hitch pins" and of course his company sells them. Then I ask him about the type that has the clasp the snaps down on the pin and he tells me they are called "snapper pins" and that they carry them as well. They come in various sizes and diameters--a particular store may have to order them for you, but it appears here's a source for the very pins you were talking about and wishing you could find.

I plan to follow up at one of my local Fastenals stores and see if I can accomplish this "quick release function" for folding my Rover's seat. It's sort of a low priority for me so it may take me a while before I follow through on this quest. Thought you'd like to know about Fastenals.
    Roland.
  • Fastenal! Thanks
  • @TNRambler; Don't know if you checked on the special pins you were looking for or not, but I've checked at some local hardware stores and have had some luck. Both my Ace Hardware and the local Home depot carry those type of pins. Was unable to fine the exact size our trikes use, but the stores carry 1/4" size. Bought a couple of the snapper cap pins in that size and drilled out the holes on the seat bracket, seat adjuster tubes and the rack attachment to accept the 1/4" pin. It all fits. What I don't know yet is if it will rattle intolerably when riding. Raining here today so haven't road tested it yet. There's very little tolerance between the pin and the new holes I drilled, so I'm thinking it fits tight enough that it shouldn't rattle. FYI, Home Depot called these pins "Wire Lock Pins".
    Roland.
  • TNRambler wrote:
    Does anyone know if there is a cotter pin type thingy that one could use to allow quick release of the seat/rear rack connection.
    Because we have to carry the Ramblers in our Priuses, the vertical clearance is limited.
    We have to fold back the Rambler's seat....but now that we have the rear racks it is time consuming and I drop the little nuts and washers.
    I went to home depot and they had some pins that were the right idea, but too thick.
    They found me a 2.5 inch "safety pin" type device which is a sloppy solution.
    With it being so sloppy, I could feel the seat twisting on the boom....so that wont work.
    The bolt that comes with the bike is 2 inches long, and is described as a #8 metric.

go to your local hardware store and get a length of straight aluminum rod at the diameter that fits in the holes and long enough to go thru all of the holes with one piece of rod, then drill a hole at each end and use "Hairpin cotter pins", like these.
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... oBEPMCMAM#
    pulls out quickly for disassembly.

or get threaded rod and use a knob on each end with internal threads like these http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/KIPP-S ... _sku=6JRZ2
    your hardware store should have all of these.
  • Having the rack connected to the seat is a real pain if you want to adjust or remove the seat. I solved the issue by connecting the rack to the frame just ahead of the tire. Using a piece of 1/2" PCV pipe with folding boat top hardware purchased at a local boat store. I fastened one end to the bottom of the rack and the other end to the frame ahead of the tire. I painted it black and installed a mountain bike downtube splash guard to it.
  • Meon3 wrote:
    Having the rack connected to the seat is a real pain if you want to adjust or remove the seat. I solved the issue by connecting the rack to the frame just ahead of the tire. Using a piece of 1/2" PCV pipe with folding boat top hardware purchased at a local boat store. I fastened one end to the bottom of the rack and the other end to the frame ahead of the tire. I painted it black and installed a mountain bike downtube splash guard to it.
    Could you post some pictures? Please.
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • I'm sorry I do not know how to post pictures to this site. I have several photos of my Rover including the frame to rack support. Google: Terra Trike Owners Facebook and scroll through the photos.