Chain Tension

edited May 2012 in Rambler
Does anyone know what the acceptable or rule of thumb is, when it comes to how much slack in the chain is too much? Is there a way to measure what's too much when it comes to Delailures? Can a chain be too tight? I have adjusted my front derailure several times, sometimes it will shift down and sometimes not, but if I shift to the biggest front ring gear and then all the way down to the smallest front gear it works! For some reason I thought that the chain might be too loose, is this a possible cause? I don't know what is considered too loose because of the idler wheel, so I would like some guidence on what is acceptable slack in the chain!!!

Thanks to all who reply.

Comments

• If you have it in the small ring in back you should be able to get it in the big ring in front. If not, then you need to adjust the set screws on the front derailleur. As far as slack in the chain goes, there really isn't a rule of thumb that I know of (by no means am I the authority on chain slack though ;) ) but it needs to be long enough to get all of your gearing.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • 74man wrote:
    Does anyone know what the acceptable or rule of thumb is, when it comes to how much slack in the chain is too much? Is there a way to measure what's too much when it comes to Delailures? Can a chain be too tight? I have adjusted my front derailure several times, sometimes it will shift down and sometimes not, but if I shift to the biggest front ring gear and then all the way down to the smallest front gear it works! For some reason I thought that the chain might be too loose, is this a possible cause? I don't know what is considered too loose because of the idler wheel, so I would like some guidence on what is acceptable slack in the chain!!!

Thanks to all who reply.

when you have the chain on the biggest front chain ring and on the biggest rear chain ring you should still be able to pull down on the leg of the rear derailure that takes up the slack where the idlers are. if it is tight and you can not pull down on the rear derailure the chain is too short.
    you need to be able to have your rear derailure taking up the slack.

Now move the chain to the smallest front chain ring and the smallest rear chain ring.
    If the rear derailure is folded all the way up and the chains are rubbing against each other at the idlers where the rear derailure is folded the chain is too long, or you can adjust this some with the set screw on the rear derailure that lifts the rear derailure away from the frame giving the chain room to move past each other.