Shifter Problem

edited August 2012 in Rambler
I bought a pair of Ramblers a couple of months ago and have about 300 miles on them. Mine broke a shifter cable yesterday. Also the handle bar shifter seems locked, as well, into gears 6, 7 or 8. Will I need to replace the shifter unit along with the cable? Any experiences out there? How big a deal replacing this? Thanks!

Comments

• Give us a call to talk to one of our techs. If you purchased through a dealer you can give them a call as well. We'll get you back on the road!
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • w8aq wrote:
    I bought a pair of Ramblers a couple of months ago and have about 300 miles on them. Mine broke a shifter cable yesterday. Also the handle bar shifter seems locked, as well, into gears 6, 7 or 8. Will I need to replace the shifter unit along with the cable? Any experiences out there? How big a deal replacing this? Thanks!
    Usually most shifter problems are the result of the derailleur simply needing to be adjusted and the stop limits set up properly. The process only takes a few min. for an experienced mech. OBTW, love the ham shack dit dit km5cw
  • Sounds to me like we are going to have to create a Ham-Triker topic here in the forum index.

I guessed right away that Jack was ham-radio-active with his call sign Nickname but I bet there are others.

I just purchased a dual-band J-pole and will be mounting it to a 6' fiberglass rod slipped into one of my seat tubes to extend my 2mtr/450 range on the trails but end goal is to have a KX3 mounted on a boom that I can position right in front of me and operate HF CW while pedaling away down the trail

We could start new award.

"W-A-T-T-A" (Worked all Tera-Trike Amateurs)

Whatdya think guys?

73's
    Red (WB8CCV) Rover
  • I have a question about the Rambler Internal 8. I just bought a his and hers Rambler 8, got the first one and tried it out. The cable for the shifter kept coming off at the hub because it was to long and would get stuck in the sprocket. Has anyone else had this problem or did I just get a lemon for a mechanic? Also, the internal hub is making a "clicking" sound, gets louder as I go faster, again, is it an adjustment? I do not recall hearing anything from the hub when I test rode a Rambler 8 internal before I bought these two, just 10 days ago... last I bought two rear racks and the mechanic install one, still waiting on the second one (after 10 days?), but he attached it to the rear adjustment tube by way of the "pins" on the tub.... is this the right way to do this...? Sorry, I do not have a good taste in my mouth over this first experience with my new trike(s)!! :(
  • I have a rover, but the hubs are the same. Never had the issue with the cable popping off, so can't really help you there. As for the noise, these can be noisy depending on how hard/fast you're pedaling, especially in 4th. I would check the adjustment (I adjust mine about every 2 weeks)

For the rack, I'm not sure what you mean by the pins on the tub. Any chance of getting a picture up for reference? I've installed one on the Rover and would assume the installation is very similar.

Also, don't let the mechanic turn you off to the company as a whole. If there is anything wrong, give TT a call and they will do their best to help you. Unfortunately, the same can not be said about some of their dealers.