26 inch wheel and panniers

edited October 2013 in Tour II
Greetings All,

I am new to the forum and joined to learn more about the TT Tour II in particular. I am going to be test riding one as soon as it comes in (about 10 days) along with a Rambler. My question concerns the addition of the 26 inch rear wheel. I am wondering if the rack and panniers sold by TT will still fit with the taller wheel?

As an aside, I was wondering if anyone has test ridden the Rambler and the Tour II for comparison? Am I correct in thinking that the Rambler is a bit of a mix of Rover and Tour II? I am definitely looking for a bike to tour on, but think the idea of a higher seat sounds intriguing.

I would be pleased to hear any thoughts.

Sincerely,

Randel

Comments

• Hey Randel,

The rack and panniers will work with the 20" or 26" rear wheel on any of our trikes.

You are correct in saying that the Rambler is a mix of the Rover and TourII; however it will ride more like the Rover. The Rambler has the same frame material as the TourII, and it is available it models up to the pro level(27sp). It still has the higher seat and direct steer which makes it more similar to the Rover. It sounds like you may like the Rambler more because of the higher seat, but I would shy away from the TourII just yet. Definitely try them both out!

Please let us know if you have anymore questions!
    Lydia R.
    Customer Service Manager
    TerraTrike - Part of the Solution
  • Lydia,

Thank you for the reply. I am actually leaning more toward the Tour II since I suspect it will be more comfortable since it is designed for touring. I am more interested in comfort, stability, and the ability to carry panniers than I am about riding at higher speeds. So thank you for helping clear things up for me.

I will probably have more questions once I have test ridden both the Rambler and the Tour II.

Thank you again for your assistance,

Randel
  • Lydia,

I have been looking for the 26" wheels and cannot find them. Can you point me in the correct direction please?

Sincerely,

Randel
  • I've been looking for the 26" wheel upgrade as well. Haven't seen it since the site revamp.

I love my Tour II, and for touring and standard riding the 20" rear is fine. However, on long rides with by buddies on standard bikes, I find it nearly impossible to keep up with them. I was thinking the 26" rear tire would give about a 3 to 5 mph top speed change, and put me back in the running.

Also, when in high gear the rear derailleur sits very, very close to the ground on 20" tire. I've lost count of the times its caught something during a ride. Having that sit up a bit higher would be nice as well.

Kinda kicking myself for not just ordering it that way in the first place....
  • Nightbender,

I also have read that the 26 inch rear wheel makes it a more comfortable ride. I need to call and get a quote for a Tour II with the 26 inch rear wheel, the rack, the fenders, and the panniers. I think that will give me a good idea of what to order right away and what will be better to wait for. I am thinking the rear wheel would be first and then going back and getting the rest of the touring gear after the fact if altogether is just too much.

Best regards,

Randel
  • Randel,

Knowing what I do now, that's exactly what I would have done. Gone with the 26" rear tire at the start, then picked up the basic touring package after the fact. I will say, the rack and panniers are something I could not do without at this point. When I do group rides, I'm the pack mule for the group. Also the panniers have 2 netted bottle holders on each side. For long rides, they come in very handy.

While I wish I would have gone about the extras different, but I LOVE this bike! I hope you'll enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Nightbender
  • Just an interesting note. When I went down to order my Tour II my dealer asked me several questions to see if I had done my research and to make sure I was getting a bike that suited my needs. It was nice that he cared about that instead of just making the bucks. Anyway, I told him I wanted a 26 inch rear wheel and he asked "why." I said that I had read that it made the ride more comfortable and that while it changed the gear ratio slightly on both the climbing end and the go fast end it seemed like the correct choice for me. He got a big smile and said, ok those are the right answers and by the way, I would get the 26 inch rear wheel myself! The next question came when he asked what color I wanted and I told him that they come in one color unless you wish to pay for a custom color. He said, "you have done your homework, that makes me feel good that I am selling you the trike that is right for you." So it should arrive on Tuesday! Yahoo!

Randel
  • I received 26" rear wheel and have it on the bike (Local shop did the swap and basic check-up for 80 bucks). I took it for a 35 mile last weekend, and I'm very happy with the upgrade. The ride is a lot smoother, and I gained roughly 5 mph to my top end speed. I haven't found hills to be much harder, but it does take a bit more cardio/leg strength to maintain speed in the higher gears.

Very happy!

Let us know how you find the new bike Randel. It sounds like you had a good buying experience at least.

photo~0.JPG
  • Lydia,

Just a note to let you know that I have purchased the tour II with the 26 inch wheel and have been attempting to ride as much as possible. I got the tt rack and fit very well. Also got some panniers with which I am extremely happy. Thank you for your help. I could not be more pleased with my trike. Do you all still do the testimonials for the website? If so I would enjoy sharing my experience as a re-entry rider.

Sincerely,

Randel
    Randel wrote:
    Lydia,

I have been looking for the 26" wheels and cannot find them. Can you point me in the correct direction please?

Sincerely,

Randel
  • Nightbender,

I finally received my trike and took it out for a real test ride about two days later. I did ride home from the bike shop about a mile, but the first ride was about 20 miles. I actually bit off a bit more than I should have. I later found out that the locals consider it a pretty challenging ride! So, I rode my trike and frankly I can't say anything but how great it is. After riding all those miles and let me tell you I have not done anything physical in at least five years, I was not noticeably sore the next day. I had one day off and went with a local group for about 16 miles. This is great and I am so excited about riding again. I find myself anticipating getting to get on the road again. My wife is starting to catch the fever as well. We went on her first real ride this morning and she did 10 miles on a regular bike. I think she is waiting to see how this trike works out and then I think she will want to get one for herself. How cool is that! Anyway, the only thing that tops my buying experience is my riding experience. As it should be right? So I can't wait until I can get into better shape for more miles. 35 sounds like a wonderful goal for me.

later,

Randel
    I received 26" rear wheel and have it on the bike (Local shop did the swap and basic check-up for 80 bucks). I took it for a 35 mile last weekend, and I'm very happy with the upgrade. The ride is a lot smoother, and I gained roughly 5 mph to my top end speed. I haven't found hills to be much harder, but it does take a bit more cardio/leg strength to maintain speed in the higher gears.

Very happy!

Let us know how you find the new bike Randel. It sounds like you had a good buying experience at least.

photo~0.JPG
  • I too have one of these with the 26" wheel and rear rack...and I have a suggestion, and a question...

For those doing serious pedaling, might I suggest the heel slings or clip pedals...when I installed the rear rack, there's a bolt that sits extremely close to the lowest gears on the rear wheel. On occasion, while shifting into or out of those gears, the chain will wedge itself between the cassette and the bolt and lock the pedals in place. If your foot slips off the pedal when the pedals lock up like that while you are moving, it will catch on the ground and force your ankle straight into the frame of the bike. Happened to me twice while riding the Louisiana MS 150 and the second time around, it hurt something fierce, forcing me to stop and catch a SAG to the basecamp.

Which brings me to the question: how do I properly mount that rear rack so that bolt does not interfere with the chain on the rear wheel...
  • I used the Terra Trike rack and had no trouble with the mounting or the chain. My rack had extenders that
    Came straight down from the bottom of the rack and attached to these black extensions that were mounted to the frame. Did you get the frame mounted extensions?

Randel
  • I don't know how to attach an image or I would send a picture for you.

Randel