Trasporting a Tandem Pro

edited November 2013 in Tandem
I am in the process of purchasing aTandem Pro but have concerns about transporting it. Will it fit in a mini van with only rear seat and pedals removed as mentioned in the Bent Rider reviews? I really do not want a trailer or the expence of a seperate vehicle like a truck.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• We just bought the Rover tandem. We have a 2010 RAV4, and that tandem is about 10 feet long about the same length as the standard tandem. If we roll the back wheel all the way forward between the front seats it sticks out the back door about a foot and I use bungee cords to link it to the back seats and it does not move. The challenge is the front pedals stick out significantly. With a van you might consider a homemade rack for the top or adapt a rear bike rack to go vertically in the back. I could make our standard tandem fit inside a subaru impreza wagon with if it stuck slightly out of the window. Good luck!! It is so much fun riding it will be worth the trouble!!
  • Michellez,
    Thank you for your comments. The research I've done indicates a Chrysler, Dodge or Honda minivan have 120" back door to dash. The factory indicates with the short boom on the Tandem Pro it will be 117". We've been upright tandem riders for 28 years and are now ready to get more comfort on our rides.
  • I see the wheelbase on the Rover Tandem is listed at 6" less than on the Tandem Pro. Have you looked at getting the Rover Tandem instead of the much more expensive Tandem Pro? The Rover Tandem comes at about 40% the price of the Tandem Pro. You can buy your Rover Tandem from your dealer with a few top-of-the-line upgrades pre-installed, and still come in at a price cheaper than the Pro. Plus, you get a more comfortable seat height (higher), a higher load limit, an internal hub, and the ability to easily downsize it to a single-rider trike.
  • Thanks for your comments. We are looking to travel quite a bit riding Rail Trails all over the country and feel the additional gearing offered by the Tandem Pro to be more benificial along with the lower weight. My wife is also sold on the Red.
  • Sold is good. We're all rooting for you. Hope you can do many happy miles together on your Pro. Give me a holler if you ever come to ride the trails in Central Illinois. Maybe we can meet up and ride together.
  • We have owned a Tandem Pro since May, and are loving it. We bought a 5-bike hanging hitch rack, with the plan to take it apart and put the two halves on the rack. It served to get it home from the bike shop (5 hours away), but we haven't used it since. It was just too hard and time consuming to take it apart and put it together, and too hard to get on the rack. Instead, we converted a jet ski trailer that we already owned with a piece of plywood and some fasteners to strap it on, and it is very convenient, and we have no trouble transporting it and lifting it on and off of the trailer. We are 80 and 83. The original bike rack is for sale on Craigslist.
    John and Jackie Mallery, Long Lake, NY
  • I built a rack for my 2006 Scion XA to haul our Tandem Pro.

Used carrier rack on the back of the car built post off back of rack with wheel cradle on top for rear wheel. Then used car top rack to hold front wheels on top of car and then secured with straps.

We tow our car behind our motorhome each winter. We did not want to leave our Tandem Pro at home.

Will try to figure out how to attach a picture.....I am new to posting.
  • Hopefully providing url to a picture

photo.php?fbid=536873029657166&l=2f8c8a9515
  • We have practiced disassembling our Tandem Pro and it then fits on the rear trailer-hitch cargo platform of our RV but have not tried that mode of transporting it yet.
    We have a home made roof rack that is just angle aluminum in an H configuration that is bolted to the luggage rack on our Ford Explorer and have used that for many miles of trike hauling. When we traveled to Omaha from NM to purchase the Tandem Pro we used a 4 X 8 foot utility trailer to haul it and carried it with no problems by opening the tailgate to the horizontal position and strapping the trike in.
  • It's not a Tandem pro, but you get the idea. This is one of our employees bringing a Rover Tandem home to his mom.

RoverTandemCar1.JPG
    RoverTandemCar2.JPG
    RoverTandemCar3.JPG
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Can you show us how the front of the trike is mounted on the car?
  • It's actually there, just being cut off by the forum. If you right click and "view as" or drag to your desktop and open it will show the entire picture.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • We purchased a tandem pro in 2012, and love it. We also purchased a pop-up camper with the objective to get our camper and trike to a campsite near a rail-trail, and then transport it to the trailhead without moving the camper. We have a Subaru Outback as the towing vehicle. Our solution, which has worked really well, was to a buy a lightweight (and inexpensive) utility trailer kit from Northern Tools. We then built a plywood bed for the trike. We then built a platform and ramps for the top of the pop-up. We hooked this up with a winch which we could drive with an electric drill, and so the bike trailer, holding the trike, could go on top of the camper. We gave up trying to take the trike apart for transportation. It was much to hard to do this every time we rode. The trailer was the way to go, and not very difficult to build. We are in our 80's. I will try to include picture of the whole rig. Jackie and John Mallery, Long Lake, NY
  • Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and come from a traditional tandem bike we rode many years ago and enjoyed it a great deal. Now we are retired and are very interested in buying a tandem Pro. We also just bought a new 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite and it will take objects up to 10 feet long if you remove the front seat center console. You should be able to close the rear hatch with the trike inside.

Before we take the plunge, we'd like to test ride the TT Tandem Pro but the two dealers in western Washington State don't have one to try out sad to say. There is a private owner of a 2-year old TT Tandem Pro selling it for $3000. Reportedly it's in mint condition with few miles on it. It's encouraging to hear all the positive comments on the trike, so a test ride will probably seal the deal.

Mike in Edmonds, WA
  • By all means, Pilot, you need to ride it and get Hooked! We got the Rover Tandem a year and a half ago, and have enjoyed it immensely. We just finished riding all 49 of the trails listed on TrailLink http://www.traillink.com/for downstate IL.

Western Washington. You don't happen to know the couple on this blog, do you? http://tandemriding.blogspot.com/ They have a TTTandem, too. We used to see their posts here, but they seem to have just disappeared. At least in the days of their blog-keeping, they had an very good time exploring in your area. They took their travels places we wouldn't go; but they always had a great adventure.
  • We've decided to take a close look at a used TT Pro not to far from us. Awaiting dealer to call back with time to come take a test ride and see if it fits inside our 2014 Honda Odyssey. Honda says that if you remove the center console between the front seats, you'll have 120 inches of room to the back hatch in the closed position. The TT Pro is 1.5 inches longer than this. We'll report on how the TT Pro fits in the vehicle.

Mike and Laura in Edmonds, WA
  • The seller we were working with decided to keep his TT Tandem Pro, so we bought a new one! It arrives in two weeks. What fun hitting the local cycle shops getting all the accessories for the trike. I remeasured the interior length of our 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite and found that it is exactly 121.5 inches from the front center console dash to the inside of the back hatch when closed. Talk about a squeaker... The Tandem Pro is exactly 121.5 inches long. There may be just enough room to place a towel over the front sprocket to prevent scratching the rear hatch. The measurement was taken at a height of 10 inches off the floor, about where the rear wheel will touch the dash. The only fly in the ointment is knowing how high the front crank sprocket is off the floor. The back hatch slopes toward the front and may reduce the overall length. We'll know for sure when we go pick up the trike.

Laura and Mike in Edmonds WA.