New Path 8 Owner

edited July 2013 in Legacy Products
I became the owner of a Path 8 last Thursday. Another forum member was selling his upgraded Path and I was fortunate to be at the right place at the right time.

This actually the second time I tried to buy this exact Path 8; first time being a couple of years ago when the original owner listed it on the St. Louis Craigslist. I just missed it back then. Through posting on this site, I started chatting with, unknown to me at the time, the new owner of that Path 8.
Over time, I followed how the new owner upgraded the Path by installing a 2 speed crank system, in effect making the Path 8 a 16 speed trike.

Last week, just before I came home for Christmas, I checked the St. Louis Craigslist for recumbent trikes and found that same Path 8. This time I was successful in my attempt to buy it. Thursday I met the seller, took a test ride, handed over the cash and loaded the Path in the back of my SUV. Now it's my turn to upgrade the trike by adding a few accessories; fenders, locking brake levers, mirrors and possibly a rear rack. I'll post pictures as I follow thru.

Looking forward to hitting the trails around St. Louis and meeting other TerraTrike owners.

Gary
St. Louis, MO

Comments

• Hey Gary. I know you posted a while back, but just curious your thoughts on the Path after having it a while?
  • Rxman wrote:
    Hey Gary. I know you posted a while back, but just curious your thoughts on the Path after having it a while?

Hi RXman,

Loving the Path, though I still need to get more time in the saddle. Between my work schedule, fr4erquent trips home and uncooperative weather, haven't had too many chances to ride. I did have a negative experience several weeks ago when what was to be a short 4 mile ride turned into a 2 mile ride and a two mile walk; back to the car due to my rear tire going flat. Have since had protective liners put in all wheels and have a couple rides since.

Since buying the Path I've added a couple of mirrors, front and rear lights, Planet Bike rear fender, a high pressure pump, a TT rear rack, a set of Nasbar panniers and a couple of flags that my wife made for me. Next upgrade is a pair of shoes so I can use the clipless pedals that were on the trike when I bought it.

Gary.JPG

Tell me about you Path and feel free to post some photos.
  • I've had my Path for several years, have added mirrors, speedometer, rear fender, smaller front sprocket (for better hill climbing) and a Dog Powered Scooter rig so that my Golden Retriever can run along with me. She usually does a fast walk at about 6 mph but can hit 19 mph while chasing squirrels. You do have to take along water and be sure that she doesn't overheat. (Temps below 50 degrees are best for her.)

You can see the rig on Dog Powered Scooter's photo page, labeled "Golden Trike": http://dogpoweredscooter.com/PHOTO_PAGE.php
  • fsvoboda wrote:
    I've had my Path for several years, have added mirrors, speedometer, rear fender, smaller front sprocket (for better hill climbing) and a Dog Powered Scooter rig so that my Golden Retriever can run along with me. She usually does a fast walk at about 6 mph but can hit 19 mph while chasing squirrels. You do have to take along water and be sure that she doesn't overheat. (Temps below 50 degrees are best for her.)

You can see the rig on Dog Powered Scooter's photo page, labeled "Golden Trike": http://dogpoweredscooter.com/PHOTO_PAGE.php

The problem with a dog overheating is once you realize that is happening, it is probably too late to get the animal to an emergency vet. Dog's are not designed for long runs in summer weather, more for short hops with rests in between. My son in law, a vet, says the average cost to treat heat stroke in a dog today is well over $1,000.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... troke.aspx
  • Yep, Captainbob, I haven't had her out running for at least a month, won't do so again until it cools down--or in early morning. Rest/water stops every mile or so are in order, also.