Idlers

edited June 2009 in Accessories
A series of questions on idlers:

1) My Tour (recent purchase) has fully-cogged idlers, yet the replacement idler that came as part of an accessory package is non-cogged. What advantage does the cogged idler provide?

2) What specific advantage does the Heavy Duty Idler Wheel kit provide? Does it employ bearings vs. bushings? The photo on the website shows one cogged one smooth wheel; refer to question 1) above.

3) If the Heavy Duty Idler Wheel kit is a distinct advantage, why is it only specified for the front, not the rear?

I ask because sometimes when I'm on a good uphill pull I can feel the vibrations in the frame from individual chain links passing over one of the components in the path. I'm uncertain whether this is one or more of the idlers, the cassette, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Emmitt Dove

Comments

• 1) The cogged idler helps reduce noise and lasts longer.

2) VERY quiet, and it will virtually last forever. The reason one is smooth is because that idler (on the outside) do not see any drive train tension, therefore it doesn't need the cogs. All of our idlers, standard to Terracycle, integrates sealed bearings.

3) There is a kit available by Terracycle for the rear idlers(and they are awesome idlers). We typically suggest just using the front idler system since that is where the drive train tension is.
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • I have a 2006 carbon edge that has a rear idler. Should I take it off or upgrade it? It is the cheapo plastic idler.
  • We have those idlers specially made for our TT Edge. None of the upgraded idlers will fit on the rear of the Edge.

You do NOT want to remove the rear idler.
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • Jess,

Status report: I upgraded to Terracycle idlers front and rear, and they've made a huge difference in the noise level and vibration I was feeling as I pushed uphill. I just have to keep the shaft of the rear idler well lubed or it chirps as the idlers move side-to-side.
  • Makes a world of a difference, doesn't it?

Glad to hear of your awesome upgrades!
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike