Rambler Base or Tour II base?

edited April 2013 in Rambler
Hello folks!
I'm heading to Sun Coast Cycles this weekend to "test drive" a Rambler and a Tour II. Pretty sure I'll be coming home with one or the other. Since they are so equal in price and features, I'm bouncing between the two of them like a super ball on steriods! I Really like the higher seat of the Rambler and I THINK the handlebars would be more comfortable. As I understand it, with the lower CG and seating postion of the Tour II it would be the faster of the two and the write ups say it's a good long distance machine.
I'm nearly 59, have bad knees and need to lose some weight. Top speed is not an issue for me, but I would like to do some long distance riding. So, how is the Rambler on longer rides? Any suggestions as to which Accessories I should be considering?
Not many Trikes around Mobile, Al. so I'll appreciate any and all suggestions!

Comments

• I would ride both of them for awhile, an then buy the one you like the best.
  • Try getting up and down on each, if you have bad knees the Tour may be impossible to get off of with any style or grace. My wife and I love the seat height of the rover and rambler. unless to are racing I think that you will also. I also have a crusier (forrunner of the tour) and made an adapter to raise the seat to the same height as the rover to make it easier to get up off of it.
    IF I was buying another trike it would be a rover 8 speed then I would have a two speed front drive such as a patterson unit installed. This will give you a gear range to ride most anywhere comfortably. We bought such a unit for her last year and it is fantastic.
  • old biker wrote:
    Try getting up and down on each, if you have bad knees the Tour may be impossible to get off of with any style or grace. My wife and I love the seat height of the rover and rambler. unless to are racing I think that you will also. I also have a crusier (forrunner of the tour) and made an adapter to raise the seat to the same height as the rover to make it easier to get up off of it.
    IF I was buying another trike it would be a rover 8 speed then I would have a two speed front drive such as a patterson unit installed. This will give you a gear range to ride most anywhere comfortably. We bought such a unit for her last year and it is fantastic.

I tried sitting on 2 low trikes before I got my Rover, and there was no way I would have ridden either one of them, even if they had given them to me for free. I then sat on a Rover and I was sold. The Patterson front drive won't give you a gear much lower than the Rover already comes with. If you live in a very hilly area, I would look at the 24 speed Rambler. The tour seat is 12". so it isn't the lowest of the trikes, but the Rambler and Rover are higher.
  • AlexisK wrote:
    It all depends on what end up feeling comfortable for you and also depends on the the kind if riding you are planning on doing.

I've noticed that most people who are switching from an upright bike to a trike usually end up going with the Tour II. It has "linkage" steering which means your hands will be in a vertical position down close to your sides. You twist shift with your pinky/palm/ring finger. These are also available with an upgrade to "Bar End" shifters which you use by shifting with your thumbs.
    The Tour II has very a very smooth and compact feeling. The low seat height brings your center of gravity lower and is easier to handle going at high speeds.
    If you have trouble getting out of a normal lawn chair, it may not be the right trike for you. It's a great trike for long distances which is one of the reasons it's called the "tour II".

The Rambler is also a great model and the Tour II's equal in quality. But it's still a completely different animal.
    The Rambler has "Direct" steering. You hands will be in a horizontal position, similar to normal bike handlebars. It's straight frame allows for the rider to better see their surroundings and is also much easier to get in and out of than the Tour II It's great for long distances as well. We have many customers that go 50+ miles in a day and they love it. It's a good all-around trike. At high speeds, it's a little bit more difficult to handle, but it's definitely doable.

As far as accessories go, we always recommend a flag and a mirror. Other nice things to have that come people consider necessities are Fenders, Heels Slings (to prevent your feet slipping off of the pedals) and a bottle cage.

Hope this helps out a bit!
    Alexis

My recommendation is clipless pedals.
  • Thanks everyone. I ended up with the Rambler and my friend got the Tour II.
    In the end it was a "seat-of-the-pants" decision. I was more comfortable in the Rambler. I have 60plus miles on it all ready and love it.
    A test ride is HIGHLY recommended since both have their own unique feel.
  • i have a rambler that i enjoy.. the steerring is a little flaky downhill when you start getting up there on the speed. it is for this reason i am contemplating selling it and maybe going to a tour. i have made adjustments on the wheels and it still wants to wobble going downhill. other than that i have enjoyed the bike and have over 160 miles on it.
  • This is an old discussion, but I wanted to mention that it helped me make a decision. I found a Tour ll at a nice discount, as it has been discontinued. I like the low seating, not only for riding, but also because it allowed me to put it in my Prius. I also realized I like the vertical grips better. I only have 60 miles on it, but I already love it. Very much appreciate this forum.
  • I saw vertical grips for the first time a few weeks ago but didn't have time to test ride it.  They look so easy to use.
  • $10 at your lbs to buy add-on vertical bars. Move your brakes to them and you're good to go. I did it with my Rover.