headlight mounting position

edited June 2014 in Rambler
Where do my fellow Ramblers mount their head light? For now, I have it on the vertical portion of the left handlebar. However, with the backward rake of the bars, I'm afraid my light is going to blinding on coming drivers. Soon it will be hot enough here that late evening rides will be the best.

Comments

• I use a Minoura mount on the front derailleur post.
    Fran
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • Thanks Fran. Does the section on mount that holds the bar rotate so the bar can be set to the horizontal position when mounted to the tube?
  • I ordered a Topeak bar extender from Amazon (http://amzn.com/B000FIAVN) and mounted it on the front derailleur post.
  • I saw that on Amazon yesterday. Is it holding up okay for you? One of the reviews I read wasn't too good.
  • It seems to be doing all right, but my headlight (Cygolite Mitycross) is really small--
  • Sorry, to be late answering but yes the bar is horizontal. This is basically what I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Minoura-4-5-Inch- ... r+extender
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • I ordered one of the Minoura mounts. I'm thinking if I mount it to the left steering bar just above my fender and slide the horizontal bar far left, I can mount the head light and the tail light on the bar and be able to turn them both on/off from the seat. It if does in fact work out that way I'll probably order a second for the right bar and run a dual light set up. That and the dual flags should make me visible!
  • Well, I ended up getting the Minoura SGL-300 size s (22mm-29mm) mount. It arrived today and I got it mounted to the Rambler's left steering bar. The unit is well made, all metal and very adjustable. The mounting bar came set up vertically (for the Rambler), but one screw and it became horizontal! The hex wrench required for all adjustments is included. Changing the mount bar from vertical to horizontal is a bit of a pain since you can only get about a 1/4 turn of the wrench before you have to reposition it. The mounting bar will also adjust sideways/up-down (depending on how you set it) by about 20 mm. For my install, I slid it all the way to the left. The mount attaches to the steering bar by a really neat adjustable quick clamp. The adjusting screw needs to be set all the way in for mounting on the Rambler steering bar. The mount includes two different thicknesses of a clear plastic shim stock to protect the finish of the bar. With the thicker of the two pieces wrapped around the bar, the mount clamped on nice and secure. I mounted both the head and tail light to the outboard end of the bar. I placed the head light on first followed by the tail light. Both are easily seen and the on/off switch can be operated with ease while on the go. I think I'm going to lower it about another 1/2", that will still give me clearance on the fender. The mounting bar was perfect for the headlight, but was a little small for the tail light so I shimmed the bar with black plastic electrical tape; perfect! As an added bonus, I was able to loop a zip tie through the mount and around the brake/shifter cable and pull them in slightly so they stopped rubbing against my leg. I then took off and gave it a 7 mile shake-down ride. :D
    Bottom line, I'm very pleased with this mount and plan to add one to the right steering bar so I can run a dual light set up.
  • [img][/img]20140608_074731.jpg I built a small thing using pvc pipe. used 3/4 pvc wrapped with duct tape for fit and have a 90 degree turn on it. works really well.