a few tech questions for the group

edited May 2013 in Rambler
1. Are any mods required to fit the 26" rear wheel to the Rambler or is it a straight swap out?
2. Does the straight frame design of the Rambler cause clearance issues with the pedals if the 26" wheel is used?
3. Is there a crank chain ring guard available for the Rambler?
4. Would it be better to just go with the 100 psi tires rather than the larger rear wheel?

Comments

• I will answer #4 - If you have lots of hills stay with the 20" tire. Going to the 100PSI tire increased my speed by 3mph+ on the flats & down hill. On the up hill it increase 2MPH+. I am only using only 70psi in the tires per dealer recommendation. We have lots of hills where I do most of my pedaling.
  • I have a rover, but the frames are very similar. The no. 2 issue really depends on how far the boom is extended, and the size of your feet. I have ridden a 26" rear quite a few times, and have had heel strike every time. That along with the higher hearing is enough to keep me away from it.
  • lrogers wrote:
    1. Are any mods required to fit the 26" rear wheel to the Rambler or is it a straight swap out?
    2. Does the straight frame design of the Rambler cause clearance issues with the pedals if the 26" wheel is used?
    3. Is there a crank chain ring guard available for the Rambler?
    4. Would it be better to just go with the 100 psi tires rather than the larger rear wheel?

i have had both the 26" and now the 20" rear wheel on my Rambler.
    for #1 , yes it is a straight swap out, one advantage is you gain some nice ground clearance for the rear derailleur, a disadvantage is you will probably want a rear fender since even with using a rear rack the 26" wheel kicks up a lot of sand from the road and the back of my neck was nice and gritty at the end of a 20 mile ride.
    #2 , no, there were no issues with the pedals, i use the SPD pedals and cleats on my shoes so i'm clipped in and never hit the ground.
    #3 , i dont know.
    #4, i have the 100 psi tires but i use 80 psi in them, rolls easy, i have the 20" tires and even changed out the small front chain ring to a 20 tooth i believe, not sure, i think it came with a 27 tooth and swapped it for a 20 so now with the 20" tire, 20 tooth chain ring in low gear i can climb a wall...lol the only problem i have with climbing steep climbs is the rear tire spins loose in the dirt or stones or grass so even though i'm geared for it i cant climb it so if i really want to pursue that part of it i guess i need a good knobby.