Longest ride to date

edited May 2013 in Rambler
I finally hit the jackpot of decent weather and time in order to get an 8 mile ride in today. The second ride and the longest one on my new Rambler.

Five good things and one mystery:
The good:
1. It was fun.
2. The trike and the components worked well with one exception noted below.
3. Cars and trucks gave me plenty of room, more than you get on an upright bike.
4. Although I was a little slower than on my upright bike, a lot of that had to do with me testing stuff out and a couple of stops for adjustments.
5. I definitely need to develop bent legs, but no hand, arm or neck soreness at the end.

Now for the mystery:
At the speeds of 9 to 12 mph or faster the left front wheel makes a ``schlang'' sound. I've heard the sound before and thought I'd solved it with a disc brake adjustment. I can't recreate the noise, it only occurs when riding. Does it have to do with weight on the bike? I ``loosened'' the disc brakes a little, but that didn't help. The fact that I can't recreate the sound off the road makes it hard to know what adjustment to make. I bought the Rambler at a LBS that is about 45 miles away so getting the dealer to adjust it is possible, but not preferable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• I finally hit the jackpot of decent weather and time in order to get an 8 mile ride in today. The second ride and the longest one on my new Rambler.

Five good things and one mystery:
    The good:
    1. It was fun.
    2. The trike and the components worked well with one exception noted below.
    3. Cars and trucks gave me plenty of room, more than you get on an upright bike.
    4. Although I was a little slower than on my upright bike, a lot of that had to do with me testing stuff out and a couple of stops for adjustments.
    5. I definitely need to develop bent legs, but no hand, arm or neck soreness at the end.

Now for the mystery:
    At the speeds of 9 to 12 mph or faster the left front wheel makes a ``schlang'' sound. I've heard the sound before and thought I'd solved it with a disc brake adjustment. I can't recreate the noise, it only occurs when riding. Does it have to do with weight on the bike? I ``loosened'' the disc brakes a little, but that didn't help. The fact that I can't recreate the sound off the road makes it hard to know what adjustment to make. I bought the Rambler at a LBS that is about 45 miles away so getting the dealer to adjust it is possible, but not preferable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i get the same noise, its the disc brake rotor vibrating. my front left is quiet until i hit exactly 14MPH, then, "schlang" "schlang" "schlang" "schlang" until i get going faster or slow down.
    based on tons of research that i did on the web it all has to do with the natural vibrations in anything.
    since there is no suspension to absorb vibrations the rotor starts into its natural harmonic vibration at a certain speed, mine happens to be right at 14MPH where it starts vibrating and shaking and banging against the caliper housing. you could check and make sure your rotor isnt bent.
    carefully hold something like a screw driver against the rotor as you turn the wheel and listen for a high spot, if it hits in one spot take a cresent wrench, close it down onto the rotor and carefully bend the rotor where it is bent and recheck.
    the rotors are very tough metal and hard to straighten, i bend mine over about 1/2", it springs back and if i am lucky i moved it maybe .010" or .020"
  • When adjusting the brakes with no weight on the trike, you will most likely not notice the sound. When at faster speeds, or turning with a load, it will cause more lateral force on the wheels, causing the rotors to bump and make that noise. With some adjusting, you should be able to get that sound to disappear.

Always feel free to call and speak to our Techs with any questions!
    616-455-5988
    Lydia R.
    Customer Service Manager
    TerraTrike - Part of the Solution