Fairing?

edited October 2013 in Rambler
Has anyone put a fairing on a Rambler? My sense is that a fairing could extend the riding season by keeping me warmer. Since the trike is pretty much my favorite form of exercise, this could keep me much more active till winter solidly sets in here in upstate NY. Anybody with any experience on this?

Ken

Comments

• Has anyone put a fairing on a Rambler? My sense is that a fairing could extend the riding season by keeping me warmer. Since the trike is pretty much my favorite form of exercise, this could keep me much more active till winter solidly sets in here in upstate NY. Anybody with any experience on this?

Ken

I had a fairing on my Rans Tailwind Recumbent and it did help a bit in cold weather, to keep the wind off you . I haven't bothered to put one on my Rover.
  • I have a buddy who rides a recumbent to work year round here in the upper midwest and he has a Windwrap WGX one point mount fairing. Pricey but very effective in keeping the wind out. We also get plenty of snow here in SE Wisconsin but when the roads are dry we ride. The trick is to start out just a bit cold and warm up as you ride. You will be properly dressed when you start shivering after just standing outside for 3-4 minutes. The great thing about a trike is you can use just about any glove you like since there is no need for padding on the palms. For me I hate cold feet so I use geeky shoe covers I picked up years ago. A balaclava you can pull down if you get too warm and earmuffs for sure. Light weight silk long underwear or polypro as a base then tights and a mid weight top with a Gortex jacket that has pit zips and you should be fine down to 15f without a fairing. There is something oddly beautiful about tooling along on a sunny winter day with 4' snow drifts right next to the road.