24" upgrade

edited June 2014 in Rambler
has anyone upgraded their 20" inch drive wheel for a 24"? I am contemplating this upgrade, wondering what the results would be?

Comments

• 24" was only one of my ideas of upgrading.  the more i keep reading post on another forum the more i lean towards selling my rambler and look for something else. however, the rambler is doing what i intended for it when i bought it,  i am getting out and actually exercising !
  • Have been pondering this as well! I notice it says it's good for flat trails only, and I live where there are hills. Read something the other day that categorized bikers as either spinners or mashers - I am definitely the latter; prefer to really bear down on pedals rater than pedaling furiously in a low gear.

My other option would be to use the Rambler to build strength and then switch to a faster trike in 3 years or so when I plan on finding a trike-friendly Triathalon for my 40th birthday!

• Get the 24" wheels for the front. It adds 2" more ground clearance at the wheels. The 26" rear wheel tilted your pedals way closer to the ground as the pivot point is the front axles. I was having trouble with catching my heels with the stock 20" wheels. That's one reason I went with the 24" wheel upgrade. Solved my problem and gave me a much smoother ride.
  • Is Terra Trike going to get the Schwalbe Marathon in 24"? I would think that will be a good combination.

• If I am understanding this correctly. 24" all around is the same as it come as far as the chance of heel strikes goes. But going to a 26 inch rear and 24 inch in front will help some compared to just going to a 26" rear wheel.
    The reason for going to a larger rear wheel is more speed and a smoother ride ?
    If talking about wanting more speed isn't there a slightly larger front sproket that would equate to the 26" wheel ??? 

• 24" all around gives you 2" more ground clearance all around. On my Rambler I found they ride much nicer than the stock 20". The extra 2" ground clearance was a HUGE help for me as my streets can have some deep dips at intersections. I had my heels strike more than a few times. Now I don't.
    Did a quick check on Amazon and bigger front chain rings are available.
    I needed a lower gear for the hills. My local shop talked me into a 24 tooth ring on the crank instead of bigger sprocket for low on the cassette. Works absolutely MARVELOUS!!!
  • Right now my base Rambler seems to have no issues with heels strike for me... It could be that being 5'11" wearing an 8.5 i on the smaller size for guys . Or the fact that I have yet tried to take speed bumps at power I tend to put my feet horizontal and hang on when I go over bumps of any size.
  • Well I do have a pair of J.C. water-walkers. Size 11 and 5'9", but rather wide (aka FAT)
    =))
  • My head is ready to explode After reding these posts.
  • I just pedal and go as fast as I get.
  • I agree that for many going to a larger wheel is neither going to make their trike magically faster . But if you find that on flat ground your often on the highest of gears on the front and only have 1 or 2 gears further to go to be maxed out. It might be worth going to larger tires/wheels to allow you to have a little more for downhill.

• edited August 2015
    This stuff is not complicated! Larger wheels = more heel clearance and more distance per wheel revolution. 

Gearing is a matter of taste and knowing your riding style, strengths, and limitations. With modern cassettes it is a simple matter of choosing a cassette that matches your needs and terrain. Any wheel from a 29er on down to 20" can be tuned to the abilities and taste of any rider. I have several cassettes and swap them out based on the terrain I will be riding 12-23 for the flat to rolling terrain near my home 12-27 for the SW Wisconsin driftless area where the climbs are longer 12-32 for the big passes out west. 

Well built wheels are capable of handling tons of lateral stress and the chance of any well built wheel collapsing under cornering stress is almost zero. Tadpole trikes like the Rambler are prone to rolling because of the high center of gravity and the weight being behind the front axles. If you do not want your rambler or any tadpole trike to roll just lean forward over the inside wheel and you will be fine. 
  • I just put 24's on my Rambler. With the 24 speed I can find a gear that works with out a problem. I do find the tires have more rolling resistance but will hold speed better. Only problem is the tires sent with are no good. after 1800 miles on my marathons and no flats I road 9 miles and have two flats this morning. Aired the tires up and blew a tube. Next month I am ordering a set of marathons for it.
  • So you're saying the inside of the wheels are so rough, they are puncturing the tubes?  I've never seen that and I've change a lot of bike tires.

I'd be on the phone to the distributor/manufacturer first thing Monday.  You really can't blame the dealer who sold them.
  • Just had to make a comment about the 24" package and with Marathons. It works great! You do set up higher. If you make a sharp turn and will upset you, it can go over very easy. For normal trail riding it's great,for the effort to go 10mph I can easy go 16mph and drop 4 gears. I can hit 24mph and still have two more gears.
    With the 20" on one of our trails I made 23mph. Same trail with 24" Marathons I made 36mph, slight down hill. It is enough that I really don't want try that again. I have set my alignment at .01 toe in. I got a 3/8 aluminum rod and fastened a dial indicator on it to measure the rims.