What is the best model for a disabled person?

My wife suffered a stroke and now has a hemiplegia that severely limits the movement of his right hand. What is the best model for her? I would want to give away for Christmas. Thank you

Comments

• I have limited use of my right hand after my strokes. I was worried about that also. You might try the one hand brake on a trike. Try some at a dealer. Make sure she can get in and out with out help. I have very limited feeling on my right side, that was a large concern for me. I got a Rambler 24 speed due to steep hills (basement parking garage). I am able to sit and get out without assistance. If it were any lower I feel I would have trouble.
  • I bought a Rover 8 this summer, had a smaller crank installed, and have little trouble riding it with severe arthritis in my knees.  Also, I used to ride a mountain bike and my hands would go numb due to the angle of my wrists.  I don't have any problems with hand numbness on the Rover 8.   
  • I would do Rover or Rambler. Both have higher seat position which make them easier to get on and off.  There are a lot of disabled persons riding trikes, and TerraTrike is probably the leader in helping folks make modifications to suit their needs.  I would call Customer Service and talk to someone there that can help you directly.  I think you would be well pleased with their efforts to help you.
  • I PURCHASED MY FIRST TRIKE A ROVER WITH NUVINCI 360 ON REAR AND PATTERSON CRANK ON THE FRONT. BOTH AUTOMATIC , NO MAINTENANCE WITH EASE OF SHIFTING AND YOUR TRIKE WILL HANDLE ANY HILL. 
  • I'm brand new to recumbent trikes.
    Rode my first two days ago inside dealer's shop. Fell in love with this Rambler b4 I got off of it--(didn't have a clue how to mount and dismount) the first time. Got it now-(:..........My Question: "do recumbent riders ever upgrade or trade in their trike for another model"?
  • Thanks so much! Is buying off Craigslist or Ads risky?--especially, for someone that is unfamiliar with the trike.......does the recumbent take a hit (price) as much as a car when you drive it off the lot or showroom floor?
    Rather than list, is one better off taking back to dealer for a trade-in (if upgrading)?
  • im also disabled i have aa rover and found out if you turn to sharp its impossable to straighten up the wheels one handed, i also have a kmx and it doesnt turn nearly as sharp, and the steering returns bACK TO CENTER ON IT OWN,  sorry about caps, those the only 2 recumbents i have any experience with, 
  • Have you ever noticed how radically cambered the inside wheel is in that full lock position?
  • James,

Is your Rover the older model with the frame tubes bolted together or the newer version with grub screws?
  • James,

I'm trying to visualize what happens to wheel caster when the cruciform if flipped. Seems to me that it would move from leading the tire contact patch to a trailing patch. Not sure what effect that would have. I am not that conversant with steering geometry.

I ran the gear calculator this morning for a Patterson/NuVinci 360 combo assuming a 20" Big Apple on the rear. Came up with a GI range of 15.5 to 55 in low range and 24.9 to 89.5 in high range.
  • Hokay.... did some brief reading. Positive caster enhances the wheel's ability to self center on its direction of travel but produces a heavier steering action. Negative camber lightens the steering action and results in a greater tendency to "wander" in the absence of correcting influence. I don't know what the Rover's caster angle is or that knowledge of it is of any great importance other than the trivia value.m.
  • The m. was Maggie's signature as she jumped on the keyboard as I clicked on [Post Comment].
  • The riders weight is a significant contributor to a high center of gravity and roll potential.
  • Balance is much more important and making sure you slow properly before turning.  I have the 24" wheels and never had a problem with my Rover even leaning.
  • Not sure if this is a tendency with all rovers, but I thought mine was a bit squirrelly the faster I went. Now I don't notice it. The first few times going downhill and having to make course corrections made my heart jump into my throat.