Fender Rattling

Has anyone got a solution for noise fender mounts?

I tighten them up before every ride and within a few minutes they're rattling around making an insane amount of noise.

I'm going to try to find some rubber washers this weekend and see if that does the trick.  If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears--if I can hear over the noise!

Comments

• Are they front or rear fenders? Or both?
    TerraTrike - Customer Relations, Assembly, and Forum/ Facebook Administrator. 
  • It's the front fenders.
  • Is it the inside fender stays?
  • Most of the rattling seems to come from the screws loosening where the fender stays are mounted to the hub. Where the stays are connected to the fender doesn't seem to get as loose.
  • You said it jamesr
  • Thanks for working through this.

I've tried locktite.  It doesn't last--or it hasn't lasted for me.
  • Did you have the fenders pre-installed? 
  • Sort of.  When I bought the trike, the stays were attached but the fenders were not.
  • If you ordered your trike directly though TerraTrike the bolts certainly were not lubed. 
    I would suggest taking the bolts out that are coming loose, then check to see if the threads are ok. Double check to see if there are any shavings on the screw, or in the hub mount itself. If you find anything wrong let me know. I can send you some new ones! 
  • I went ahead and got some larger headed M3 hex screws. They're not pan heads like the ones that come with the kit--not sure what these would be called.  I also got some M3 split lock washers, and the smallest neoprene (rubber) washers I could find. It's not the most beautiful solution but so far it seems to be working.

I also permanently epoxied the fenders to the stays (but not to the mounts for obvious reasons).  I figure if I ever have to replace a fender I'll probably have to replace the stays anyway.

So far the rattling is gone--usually after three days of riding they'd be rattling like crazy.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
  • Cool. I'm glad you found a solution!