Maintenance Schedule

edited September 2009 in Legacy Products
I purchased a Path 8 with a Schlumpf drive in early April of this year. I have a ride planned for September and I'm wondering about what periodic maintenance is recommended on this machine. It has about 350 miles on it at the moment.
Thanks!

Comments

• You will need to lube the Schlumpf drive every 2,000-3,000miles or every year and a half or so.
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • How about bearings, cables, steering bushings, etc.
    Thanks!
  • Maintenance on a trike is just like a bike. After about a month you will want to get it tuned up, mostly to adjust for cable stretch. Nuts and bolts should be checked periodically - make sure everything is tight, but not too tight when it comes to steering. Cleaning and lubing the chain a couple times a year, depending on where you're riding and how dirty the chain gets.
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • Thank you for the help and information.

ONe thing I'm noticing is the bike has approximately 500 miles on it and there seems to be a lot of wiggle in either the front wheel bearings or the steering pivot on each side. The "kingpin" bolt. Both have the same wiggle so is it unheard of to add shims to pivot on each side to tighten it up or if the sloppiness is in the bearing, should it be? I don't know how much is too much but it's certainly changed since it was new. Which makes sense too...
    Confused and concerned!
  • The lower level trikes tend to have more play in the hubmounts, naturally. The up-and-down play isn't anything to be concerned about; however, the lateral (diagonal) play in the hubmount would be of concern. If the lateral play is greater than .25" you may want to replace the bushings. The lateral play can be created from a number of things - rough riding, accidents, or even if the bushings were reamed out too much.
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • Thanks again...I would assume the play is more like a 1/8" not a 1/4". I'll probably fool with it in the offseason.