Problem with path 8 sturmey archer hub

edited September 2011 in Legacy Products
Hello,

My girlfriend have terratrike path with 8 speed S-A hub. Recently I removed back wheel when maintaining the trike and noticed that
lock washers (item 41 on part list http://www.sturmey-archer.com/pdfs/XRF8.pdf, upper one) were in bad
shape (axle threads were "eating" to the washer and washer was quite hard to remove). After reattaching the back wheel to trike, lock
washers didn't prevent hub from rotating while pedalling. Now I would need a pair of new lock washers. I tried to contact S-A europe and usa but with no reply. Could you tell what is correct spare part and where is best to obtain these lock washers?

- Antti

ps. We live in Finland

Comments

• We currently have those on order! If you email me with a note about the washers you need, I will email you as soon as we get them in: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:jessica@TerraTrike.com">jessica@TerraTrike.com</a><!-- e -->
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • edited August 2011
    :( I'm not the only one with Hub problem wtf. Ok was riding home from church and went to down shift and had no gears and the shifter kept twisting and the trike felt like it was stuck in gear.
  • You can give your dealer a call (or us if we are your dealer) or you can go to our website and view our hub adjustment video. We are there if you need us!
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • @ Bentcrazy - First welcome to the forum, and second, how about being a bit nicer? Am sorry you are having problems, but all of us are here to help! If it's an adjustment issue, there is a video here on the site that will teach you how to set the adjustment correctly, if it's more than that, either your dealer, or TT directly will be happy to help you.

I have only read of two hubs that were actually defective, and both were quickly replaced. Everything else was a simple needed adjustment.

Cheer~!
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Peter_C wrote:
    @ Bentcrazy - First welcome to the forum, and second, how about being a bit nicer? Am sorry you are having problems, but all of us are here to help! If it's an adjustment issue, there is a video here on the site that will teach you how to set the adjustment correctly, if it's more than that, either your dealer, or TT directly will be happy to help you.

I have only read of two hubs that were actually defective, and both were quickly replaced. Everything else was a simple needed adjustment.

Cheer~!

Exactly!!!! :)
  • Ok sorry for my earlier post. I haven't even had the path 8 a month yet and it messes up on me. that's what I was upset about. It survived the first 100. Then finishing up a short run blam. That's what made me so upset.
  • So we know more, and can possibly help you?

Is this a new trike, or a new to you trike?

Are you the only person that *ever* rides the trike?

Has your path been repaired yet? If so, do you know what was wrong?

The simplest thing to check is to make sure the shifter is adjusted correctly. Did you check out the video and see if it was out of adjustment? Was that the issue? (If you have little ones, the adjustment knob on the 8-speed is very easy to turn, thereby putting it out of adjustment)

The one thing to be sorta careful of, is it's best to either pause pedaling during a shift, or else pedal very lightly during a shift - shifting under a load can be a strain on any IGH.

Lastly, if the shifter is not out of adjustment, simply contact whom you bought the trike from for warranty, and/or call TT for what to check?

Please let us know your results?
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Saw the video really dont't have the patience to look at the trike. Everytime i do I think I should have just stayed in 1 instead of using the higher gear around town or at least 2 and spun my butt off.
  • I am the first owner and going to be the only owner. Usually don't sell anything.
  • I think you should take it back to the dealer, if you feel you are not up to adjusting the shift mechanism which is pretty simple. Getting angry at something mechanical that is possibly just out of adjustment, solves nothing.
  • :D :D Not the hub it's the darn shifter.that broke on me just so happy it's not the hub. Sold my EZ 3 SX to a bike machanic he took a look at my TT Path 8 an it's not the hub it's the shifter itself. kinda bumbed about the shifter but glad it's not the hub.
  • Am kinda confused why you are posting the same issue on multiple threads? By starting your own thread we can better assist you rather than searching other threads for info on your problem - just a thought?
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Peter_C wrote:
    Am kinda confused why you are posting the same issue on multiple threads? By starting your own thread we can better assist you rather than searching other threads for info on your problem - just a thought?

Using Gigantic Fonts doesn't add too much to the discussion either...... :?
  • Hehe - true, but perhaps his vision is poor? My mother in-law needs fonts like this to read on a computer.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Peter_C wrote:
    Hehe - true, but perhaps his vision is poor? My mother in-law needs fonts like this to read on a computer.

Bet she can't read this. ;)
  • :D TTry Legally Blind and still ride my TT on the streets.Oh and I kid you not if I am going into a crowded or strange place I bring my Chris Park Carbon Fiber Telescoping cane with me only if it's totally bright. I have Ocular Albinism. Docs told me when I was a kid I couldn't ride a bike well I am riding a trike on the path and the street.
  • Oh and have the screen up to 200 so now you all know. Oh and I ride solo. There aren't many legally blind folks who are either brave or crazy enough to ride solo let alone ride a century solo. Thank God for protection. Will have Bumble Bee blessed.
  • Cool Cane :)

I'm sorry but most of the folks here, are here to help, yet I feel that all of your posts come across like you have a really big chip on your shoulder. I asked you a few direct questions while trying to help you that you never answered.

Did you buy your Path new? (are you the first owner?)

I can understand why you may not wish to work on your trike yourself, but if you are the first owner, this issue should be covered under warranty. Sometimes a new part is messed-up from the get-go, that's why TT has a great warranty!

If you are not the first owner, it still should not be too spendy to fix. But before changing the shifter itself, I would have the shifter cable and housing checked first - as those would be the most common (along with adjustment) issues, as well as the least expensive to fix.

FYI - no one here can read minds (that I know of), and if my mother in-law were to post on a forum, or write an email to someone new, she would simply add a note that she is legally blind, and not "SHOUTING" - and would the replies please be sent in a larger font? That helps both you, and us - as to (many of) us your replies simply come across very hostile.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Had to adjust my hub today no problem my LBS told me how to do it over the phone. It's totaly ridable again.