Derailleur or Internal?

So, I'm looking at buying a Rover as my first trike, and the options are either a traditional derailleur or the internal hub shifter thingy.  I was wondering what the pros & cons of both are?  My experience is limited to traditional derailleurs on two wheelers, and an 11 mile test drive on an internal hub Rover.  The only issue I had on that Rover was at the turn around point, I shifted down to 1st gear, and it would not shift out of 1st.  The shop owner had to come fix it before I could continue my ride.

Thank you for your input!

-Sean

Comments

• Internal is simple to use and clean, but a little tough to fix. Also all internals are not created equal. Even Rover may have different brands I am told- Shimano and SRam apparently better (but supply is limited) than Sturmey Archer -sp, I went with an 8 spd external as it is cheaper -200-300 bucks and I understand how it works and how to service. Check my blog if you want to follow or laughmy experience. I have extensive  experience w my Rover- a whole two weeks and 300km  http://bentonabudget.blogspot.com/
  • I have the Rover with the NuVinci hub. I like that it's easy to operate and you can shift it on the move or standing still. There was a learning curve I had to go through when I first got the trike, but now I think I have it pretty well figured out. I am also having a Schlumpf HSD installed to increase the gear range.
  • I have a Rover 8 with an internal hub.  The only issue I had was one time it would not move to the higher gears.  I found out I had a broken cable.  Once replace, I have not had any problems.

I would have bought an external if it were available.  I, too, understand how a derailleur works and would have loved to pay the lower price.  But, I don't remember seeing the external on the website and was not offered that option when I went to the lbs to try one and order it.

My main concern is I don't know how the internal gears work.  But, I'm getting well known at the lbs so, I'm sure they can fix any problem. 

Look at the picture of the Rover with external gears on this website.  If the mechanism hanging down that far is not a problem, go for it!
  • I collect and restore vintage British bicycles for a hobby, some with derailleurs, most with internally geared hubs. I prefer the IGH bikes as they are in fact more durable and easier to work on. IGH bikes have been around for over a hundred years and are built to last. Stop for a moment and consider this; the driving mechanisms on internal geared hubs are totally protected from the elements and from objects that could cause damage. Derailleurs, on the other hand, are completely exposed to the elements and can easily be damaged through falls onto rocks, curbs or pavement as well as through collisions. And yes, people can and have tipped over on trikes. Another factor to consider is the possibility of missed shifts and the chain coming off of the gears with derailleurs. Oh, I actually own a TT Path with a S/A 8 speed internal hub and I love it.

Just my two cents.

• I stopped during my ride yesterday to get a drink of water.  Because the drink holder is so far up on the bike, (I wish they had mounted it near the crossbar) I have to stop and take my feet off the pedals to bend forward to reach it.  Suddenly, I was thinking about how I would have had to gear down before stopping if I did not have a Rover 8 with internal gears.  I normally must drop a few gears to start up again.

I'm liking internal gears more every day!