Picked up a 2yr old Rover Internal 8 - Looking for tips & tricks

Howdy fellow trike riders... boy does that sound great!

I bought a 2yr-old Rover in great shape for a fair price this weekend. It came equipped with upgraded disk brakes (or so I was told), Schawbe Marathon tires, and a rear rack. I believe those are the only changes that didn't come stock. I haven't ridden bike for a quarter century, and I have 25#s I need to lose. I am mid-sixty's and in fair shape. My plan is to primarily ride along Lansing Michigan's Riverwalk Trail.

I plan to take it to Spin Bicycle Shop for sizing and examination and have them install fenders, rear view mirror, and probably headlight & taillight. But what else should I get? Do I need a helmet? Which brands and models make a good value? How about a trike/bike computer? Or should I just get a good app for my phone? Should I get head/tail lights that are USB rechargeable? or battery operated? or maybe I don't even need one If I don't plan to ride near dark? Is there a must have tool kit? Or is there a "kit" that gives one everything they need get started? Are there any must haves? If you could have only one piece of equipment, what would you choose?

Is there anything you learned after miles of riding or trike ownership that you wished you would have known from the get go?

If you have any words of advice, tips for Lansing area trails, cleaning or lubing tips (or products to use or avoid), really anything at all, please share it here... thanks in advance to all who reply to this post. I bet we will all learn things!?

Mike

Comments

• Welcome to the group.  Hope you enjoy your trike as much as we all do!
  • Well as a rider of a couple years now. Lights are nice to have, These days the LED lights and batteries are fine. A flag (you can get them cheap from Walmart). I ride with the helmet and yes it has a light on it.

Needed for safety, probably not. But it makes the wife feel good. :) Have fun riding.

P.S. When I stop at a LBS I usually end up being an attraction. Usually only stop to drink water and rest. But I've had a few interesting conversations either about the trike or my Ukulele which I often carry.

• Don't get caught up in all the various gearing options until you've put on a significant amount of miles and feel you're in need of gearing help due to limitations or you're in physically better shape and need a upgrade for better performance.
  • I wish after watching all the videos on you tube and seeing how "easy" it looked someone would have told me I was going to learn how to ride an entirely different animal. Don't be discouraged. Once you figure out the nuances you'll never ride anything else, except maybe a velomobile. I also wish I had upgraded to better tires from the get-go.
  • I agree with TCEd.  Ride the trike for a while and find out what you like and don't like.  Don't spend extra money if you don't need it.
  • Great suggestions everyone. Thank you all so very much. And by all means, please keep the ideas and suggestions coming.
  • I just bought a rover and am getting used to the trike thinking different tire on back and deffently need the locking brakes. good luck from Mich to
  • TrikeBirder, does your name mean you are a bird watcher?  If so, what kind of viewing/recording equipment do you take with you on rides?  How do you carry them?

Because a trike is so quiet, it would be excellent for bird watching.  
  • Hi Florida_bound, yes, I am a birdwatcher... or perhaps more accurately a bird photographer. And yes, one of the main reasons for buying my trike was the stealth feature of silently approaching wildlife without looking like a threatening human. I have binoculars I wear harnessed to my chest, and a 150-600mm Sigma Sport lens attached to one of my Nikon bodies. I'm lucky enough to live about 1/2 mile from Lansing Michigan's Riverwalk Trail. I believe it is currently 12 miles in length and soon to be 20 miles in length. Since it borders much of the Red Cedar River, it is a great place to get wildlife photos. Finding a way to comfortably yet carefully transport the camera while attached to the big lens has been a real challenge. My best effort to date has been to attach the camera/lens to a Black Rapid shoulder strap and place the camera/lens on a piece of foam on my lap. I am open to all suggestions and ideas you and any others may have for a more secure and comfortable option.
  • That's great!  We have yet another use for a tricycle.

Terracycle has some under seat side mounts that might work for you.
    You might even be able to use your camera bag with them.