Traveler with N-380?

Although TerraTrike doesn't offer the traveler with a Nuvinci, I wonder if it did, would it fold as easily.  I'm still trying to decide on a Trike.

Comments

• The Traveler should fold just as easily with a NuVince... or any IGH... as it does with a derailleur.
  • I know this thread is 2 years old, but FWIW, I just test-rode one yesterday that was ordered with the N380.
  • How did you like it? Were there enough gears for your need?
  • For the record, last winter I put a Nuvinci 380 and a 24" wheel on my wife's Traveler. She loves the change. I had discussed putting a 26" wheel on the back of the Traveler with TerraTrike, and was advised against it. I was told a 26" would lower the front too much. And with the 24" wheel, the Traveler still folds (although not as small), and the NuVinci, while heavier, poses no issues with the fold. TimC, you should note that the Traveler has a 275# weight limit I believe.
  • How did you like it? Were there enough gears for your need?

I only got to ride up and down a small side street by the bike shop. This one also had e-assist. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, but I did keep it on the lowest boost setting. Still, with that on, I couldn't really say 100%, but there was a slight incline that was no problem pedaling up it. :D
    I do like the N380, and this was the second time I rode with one. The other was a Rambler, but it was the very first tadpole I had ever ridden, and I was concentrating more on the pedaling and the handling (all over flat ground) I love the no clicks and infinite speeds you get with it, whether is is a using twist of the grip, or even just the slightest twist, there is a change of ratio. Both times I used a N380 were in relatively confined areas, so couldn't really tell about total top end, but I was able to hit 11mph. And yes, my wife claimed that even the minimal boost setting had to be helping me!

Birder, the spec sheet shows it's 300#, at least for the newest models. The only ones not 300# are the Rover, Sportster and the tandems.terratrike.com/specifications.php
    That, plus I'm already starting to lose a couple of pounds just thinking about pedaling a trike all over the place, lol.
  • Good to here on both counts... your continuing weight loss and the the trike supporting riders of #300. I should have checked on the current rider weight limit specification instead of relying on my deteriorating memory. How much were they asking for the electric assist Traveler with N380 hub?
  • $3295.00 plus tax. That was the same as several of their electric bicycles, although several of those also went up over $4,000, so it really seemed like a good deal for the Traveler. Especially good since he said to add that same drive to a trike I might bring in would cost at least $1,500. If I had the money I'd probably buy that Traveler.
    Note- Since this was a mid-drive unit, I don't think it had any front derailleur system, just the N380.
  • If that mid-drive is a BBSHD, and the Traveler is new (newish?) that is a very good price!
  • whether a good price depends on the battery that comes with the package
  • I can't speak to either the motor model or the battery. Sorry bout that.
  • The Traveler I have now has 18 speeds (triple chainring x 6 on the rear cassette, but I don't see that combination listed in the specs on this website) and an e-assist mounted on (around?) the rear hub. Can the motor be removed, or do I have to replace the entire rear wheel to get rid of the motor, as I don't really have a use for a motor?
    If I have to replace the wheel, I may try to just find a wheel with the Shimano i8 hub, possibly even find a trade for the e-assist set-up. That plus the triple up front should be sweet!
  • edited September 26
    My sister in law is going to be getting a Trike soon. She has a late model Chevy Malibu. No hitch. I told her the Traveler folds up. But one has to remove the seat. Doubt she’ll want to do this every outing. Sent her the video on it. Exactly how small does it become? Fit in back seat? Trunk?
  • edited September 27
    I believe it folds-up into one of the smallest bundles available on a folding trike because the front wheel structures also fold over. Mine is sitting in the corner right now, all folded. It's not light, but I would think the folded unit would fit into the trunk of a Malibu. Heck, put a blanket on the back seat (if it's a 4-door) and it would probably fit there. Just make sure she can pick it up to move it around.
  • toting a rover
  • We wanted to show her ours and let her try one this weekend but seems she is never available. Doubt she wants to lift one. Small trailer with a ramp might be the easiest.
  • I've seen a folded Traveler and a folded Cattrike in the back of a Prius with a ton of soft luggage and photography equipment. I think it will fit in most cars.
  • Ok. Thanks. It’s just the seat removal each and every time will get old, knowing her.
  • The seat on the Traveler is super easy to remove, it takes 30 seconds if your slow ;)

And yes, my Catrike 5.5.9. and wife's TT Traveler (complete with 24" rear and NuVinci N380) fit into our Prius V along with two months worth of supplies, camera gear, and birdwatching gear (scopes, guides, binoculars, etc.). And we don't even fold in the front wheels as it gets plenty small without needing to. I don't think your sister-in-law will have any problems. Hope this helps:
    9xdg9drfrr43.png
  • Nah. Gotta take the Rover to carry your mega
    lens...