Trike Storage

I recently purchased my 2yr-old Rover and noticed several sellers commenting that their trike was always stored in a house and never in a garage. That got me to wondering if there is a problem with storing a trike in a garage. I live in Michigan and can see advantages to storing a trike in a house- humidity & temperature control, safer from theft, constant presence, etc.. But are there special concerns when storing a trike in a garage overnight? Over the winter? Are there safe ways to care for a garage stored trike that I should be aware of? What procedures should trike owners follow before each trike ride. I'm a newbie, and my trike came without any lbs advice, manual, tips & tricks (sounds like an idea for a new discussion?!), or instructions. I find this forum to be invaluable, and I am more than grateful for everything you all post on every discussion. Thank you!

Comments

• If you don't have to brush the snow off the seat they you've come out ahead.  ;))
  • It would be nice to have some sort of hinged collapsible handle bars to make passing through a doorway easier.
  • We store six bikes and one trike in the garage in northern Michigan year round. No problem
  • Wish I had a garage!
  • I don't have a garage, but I have a pickup. Shopped around and found a camper shell that locks. I put a handle lock on the tailgate and new locks on the shell. Keeps my Rambler safe and out of the weather. It also goes with me if I travel anywhere.
  • edited June 2016
    My son built me a storage shed for my garden tools but I use it for my trike. It fits perfect but I stand it on the rear wheel and hold it again the back wall with bungee straps. The material cost to built it was about $120.
  • Irisch, your shed looks great! - What a neat idea to hang in there... no one would suspect. One thing, looks like you need a better shed lock if you haven't added one yet.
  • I would love to have a shed like that.  I could mount my Alpaca Carrier to the wall and put the trike up on it.  They would have to steal both which would be very hard!
  • I posted on the Rover's owner group on Facebook about storing my Rover. It's in a small woodshop (it has a very good lock!). But space is at a premium! (Had to really jump at finding a storage device when I picked up the bike!)

The rack allows me to store the Rover vertically and really only cost the sheet of 4x8x3/4 plywood, some right angle brackets, 4 castors and some screws.

• That looks great, also!  How easy is it to tip the whole thing over?  My luck, I would dump it on top of me.

But, still a great idea for vertical storage!
  • edited November 2016
      Had inherited this trailer which has a large porch. The landlord said I couldn't use the porch for storage... but when I picked up the Rover I ended up putting some beams in and a 3/4 thick plywood door. He hasn't objected. Wanted to put the Rockhopper out there too, although may have to get some large hooks the hang it from as the Rover does take up most of the space.

Am liking that shed idea... image
  • Once the front wheels are in place (I spaced the right-angle brackets far enough apart to sort-of lock the front tires in place), then it's a simple matter to simply lift the rear up. It can take a bit of adjustment of the positioning of the front wheel supports to allow the rear tire (I have fenders), to clear the top. Basically the front sprocket just barely touches the bottom piece of plywood. 

I thought of mounting a gate catcher at the top to "catch" the rack, all that is needed is a cord to release the catch. Or, though I don't need it, maybe a pulley with a cord threaded through it at the top to pull the rack up until vertical, then, tied down the cord.
  • While I like the the wooden storage unit stpd built, it would be challenging for me to accomplish the same for a nominal investment. However, recently, in another discussion, someone mentioned purchasing an inexpensive rolling rack from Harbor Freight Tools and modifing it slightly to store a trike. I believe he ended up with a way to vertically store two trikes and easily move them around in his garage. He even had photos. Can someone please point me to the right discussion for this discussion entry. I believe it was here on the TT forum, but I guess it is possible it was somewhere else. Anyone remember?

• Found it! 

MOBILE DOUBLE TADPOLE TRIKE STORAGE SOLUTION 

From Nov 2nd. by NHYankee 

Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight Tools is in my near future.
  • Looks like a cool build! I have to ask though, he's lifting the heavier end up all the way to the top whereas with mine, it's just necessary to lift the front wheels about two feet off the ground, then pivot the rear end up until it latches.

It appears he has a large garage to store the bikes as well. I'm extremely limited by the size of my garage, since it really is my wood shop with some storage at the back end. (If I could get my truck through the opening, I wouldn't be able to open the doors...)

As far as the wood for my rig, have the local big-box wood supply store cut 3 lengths of 10 to 12" widths from a sheet of 4x8x3/4" plywood, then, cut one of them for the width of the bike (plus a bit more to allow for mirrors and other things that hang off the handlebars) Finally, cut a pair of 2' lengths to support the wheels. 

Get 12 right angle brackets, 2 for each corner, and 2 on each side to hold the front wheels in place. (I had had a thought to use adjustable shelving brackets, the ones where you clip in the shelf supports for the wheel braces. It would make it much easier to adjust the height of the front wheels to allow the entire unit to fit w/in the vertical space. I had to re-position my supports a number of times (x4!) to get the right length when pivoting the entire frame.)

A box of sheet-rock screws and the four castors at the bottom... that's it!
  • Have another possible solution to those who can't build their own... though it may require a bit of experimentation.

A few years ago I picked up a couple of "WallyLiftMate 10a10" bike lifts. Here's a listing on ebay for one:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/252291113026  (I've never even opened mine... I have two of them...)

It's really designed for diamond-frame bikes that weigh less than 37lbs... My rover weighs in at 47lbs, but perhaps other trikes weigh less... It appears that there is a rod that has a support to go under the seat and handlebars but unsure of the length of that bar, whether it will reach across the front pair of wheels on the Rover. But if it did... a simple way to mount a trike on a wall... no stress to lift it up and take it down!

If any one's interested, let me know...