chain problem with path8

edited July 2010 in Legacy Products
Hi dear terratrike,
I just purchased terratrike path 8 from dealer people's mover here at orange county CA. My problem is the chain and the gear socket. My terratrike has medium boom and then i changed into small medium boom. My chain came off often the wiring that hold the gear socket as well. Then my dealer tighten the chain and again the chain has come off five times. I am really disappointed of buying terratrike. is there any solution for this? i should have gone for catrike or actionbent.

Comments

• *THIS ISSUE IS BEING ADDRESSED INTERNALLY*
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • I am sorry to hear you are having issues.

The Path is a tried and true design, and of the thousands we've sold, you are one of a few that has ever had any problems with it.
    We suspect that the chain routing was incorrectly assembled by the dealer.
    Your dealer SHOULD have corrected the problem, but we always want the customer to be happy so we will take care of this for you.

We've sent an email to you to contact us. Please contact us at your convenience and we will make sure that you not only get your problem fixed, but make you love your Path again.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Sorry for my initial outburst. my chain problem has seemed to have solved now. My dealer adjusted the rear wheel to exact centre and tighten the chain bit. since then i rode probably twenty miles along santa anna bike trail and chain hasn't come off. I rode along the huntington beach CA and many people were looking with great admiration. The trike path 8 ride has been very enjoyable, comfortable, steady, relaxing and just wonderful. You terratrike guys has really design a very good trike. The joy and happiness it has given me itself worth the price of 1350. The only issue that concern me is the front power side idler which seems very stiff( not free flowing). But it doesn't seem to effect the performance, anyway should i need to change the this idler. In the future definitely i am going to buy one of more expensive trikes.( zoomer SL)
  • I bought my Path 8 3 months ago and have started having the same problem...my chain has popped off 3 times in the last week while riding normally...never while shifting...have talked to TerraTrike and am hoping to get it resolved soon...I love my trike and hate getting stranded 3 miles or more from home...first time was not good...last 2 times I was able to get the chain back on and continue...thank god for cell phones...
    terratrikebanner.jpg
    get bent and be content...
  • Yes, Sean, i think chain coming off seem to be the inherent problem of path 8. My path 8 whose chain is tightened two weeks ago has not been falling off the chain, but today after( riding for two weeks since chain tightened) the chain came off while i am pedaling fast on first gear. May be we should seek the advice of Utah trike people. They have designed a trike path 8 whose front two chain( power and return) running under the Idler. :cry:
    '
  • yeh it popped off again the other day while I was on a ride with another friend with his trike...this time it took my shifter cable off as well for the second time now and left me stranded 8 miles from home...not fun walking a crippled trike back home that far a distance...I am in talks with Terratrike and the bike shop I got my trike from to figure out the problem and where to go from here...I took the trike straight to the shop and it kills me not to be out riding the last few days...it really does become part of your routine and when it is not there to ride it just sucks...I'm hoping to get things resolved...
    terratrikebanner.jpg
  • I like Jessica Kessenich's smile.
  • yeh...she does have a nice smile...I believe my bike shop talked to her today about my problems...third person brought into my situation...hoping to know something from them in the next 24 hours...that is what my bike shop told me...there is more to this story that I have kept private but hoping to get things resolved...I really think these folks mean well and I want to get back to riding again...
    terratrikebanner.jpg
  • pema wrote:
    They have designed a trike path 8 whose front two chain( power and return) running under the Idler.

It is very difficult to address this issue without having the TerraTrike here to look at and diagnose, but this sounds like your chain may be improperly routed. To clarify, the drive and return chains should be running UNDER both front idlers. In the back, the drive chain should be running underneath and the return should be above the idlers.
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • Hi jesse,

my chain is routed correctly as you have mentioned and the chain is not comming off often. it only came off when i pedalled fast on 1st gear. I think the problem may be because of the lack of chain derailleur which the previous version of path 8 has.( the path 8 displayed in terratrike website)
  • Pema,

Please send us a digital photo of a side view of the drive side of your trike. We will do what we can to evaluate from that.

If you have any further questions please contact Mike, our Product Manager, at: 1.800.945.9910
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • thank god my local bike dealership has been more then helpfull...I went and test rode a Cruiser today...same frame as my Path 8 but with more gears...this trike felt similiar but different if that makes sense...the steering was very tight and the thing that amazed me the most was that I still felt faster in the highest gear on my Path 8 then I did on the Cruiser in its highest gear...I saw my trike for the first time today in almost a week and it hurts me not to be riding it daily since...the ride today on the Cruiser reminded me how much I have been out of sync since my trike went down last week...it has become part of my daily routine and I miss it...I thank the folks at Paradise Bicycles in Fort Myers for listening to me and helping me through this all...I spent several hours with them today and am hoping to get this all worked out eventually...just waiting on TerraTrike to get back to me...
    terratrikebanner.jpg
  • Sean, I am unaware of any issues we are suppose to get back to you on. We are working closely with the shop you purchased your TerraTrike from to address all issues.

If you have any direct questions for us please give us a call!
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • Hi sean, hope ur problem with the change has been solved by now. If this is the case , then do let me know how it was done as it would be helpful to me as well.
  • Yes i just bought my path8 not even 3 weeks ago and the chain fell off and so did the shifter cable, it happened twice yesterday and now my trike is in the shop. The bad thing is the dealer that i bought my trike from isnt near me. But there is a really good bike shop in town so there looking at it. Im just really dispointed in my terratrike. It shouldnt be in the shop i have had not even a month. I hope this issue gets resloved quick cause i really miss not being able to ride my trike. I will also be conacting terra trike about this cause i am not a very happy coustomer rite now. :(
  • Hi marc,

I bought terratrike on 1st April via dealer. I faced same problem as you on my first ride. The chain came off as well as cable from gear hub. The chain was coming off quite a lot specially i peddled aggressively on 1st gear. Then I brought it back to dealer and then he found that the rear wheel is not at the exact center of the boom. After correcting that and also tightening my chain, the problem of chain comming off and cable comming off has been solved. Now i am enjoying the terratrike path 8 very much. It is quite fast i clocked at flat terrain 18 miles ph. Trike is very comfotable, stable and fun to ride. Terratrike peole are very nice and responsive. You should contact them via dealer and then they might work together with dealer to solve the problem. Anyway teratrike should come up the special dsesign of chain routing that is less complicated.
  • hope the two of you get it resolved...I've changed to a different model without the internal hub drive assembly...after my personal experience with it on the Path 8 I'm not a fan...though I miss the slightlly higher gear range it had...I'm hoping I won't have the same issues with the Sport Elite...other then the test drive I took 2 weeks ago on a Cruiser I haven't rode in 3 weeks so I'm anxious to get riding again...I never realized how much it completed me till it wasn't there...
    terratrikebanner.jpg
  • One of the Bike shop here know how to upgrade path 8 to 26 inch wheel. I am looking forward to upgrade. Any one here who has experience of trike path 8 being upgraded with 26 wheel. If my path 8 will be nice with26 wheel, then i will shelve my plan of buying catrike expedition or ICE sprint for one year.
  • post pics of that conversion pema if you get it done...Terratrike told me they were still working on a kit for the Sport as well but it was going to be several more months before it comes out...I'm still on the fence on whether to upgrade to the bigger wheel or get a high speed drive...or both eventually...
    terratrikebanner.jpg
  • I was talking with terratrike and my bike dealer where i took my trike and my trike is fixed i hope. It looks like they put different idlers on cause there is a bar that goes across on the top back idler and there is a bar that is underneath in the front one. Im guess thats to keep the chain inline. It was 21 bucks to fix my trike but i shouldnt have to be putting into my trike already for repairs. I hope the problem is fixed for good. Does anyone know the life expencty on the internal hubs. Im just courious cause i ride everyday.
  • An important note on all TerraTrike Path models:

All bike chains experience chain stretch. This is why we offer our local customers a 30-day tune up, and highly recommend all customers get a tune up after their first month/100miles. Cables also stretch (brake and shifter cables). This is common with all bicycles, tricycles, quads, and anything else that uses similar cables and chains.

The other TerraTrike models have a less noticeable chain stretch since they have a rear derailleur that helps tension the chain.

There is a simple fix on the TerraTrike Path. With the horizontal dropouts, the rear wheel needs to be pulled back to retention the chain - you will need two people to do this, or bring it into a bike shop. The rear wheel bolts need to be tight! It is VERY important that you make sure the chain is tracking properly and the rear wheel is properly aligned.
    Jessica Kessenich
    Sales Coordinator
    TerraTrike
  • ok ive had it only 3 weeks so i wasnt expecting anything like that to happen to it. I guess the good thing its fixed and now no worries we hope.
  • I am starting to discover the beauty and goodness of my Terratrike path 8. I have thought to sell it, now it seems i won't part with path 8. today i rode along the huntington beach CA at around 9pm till laguna beach fro two hours. i clocked average speed of 15 mph. The trike is so smooth , very stable and very comfortable with my recent adjustment of my seat recline. Indirect steering is awesome. i should really commend the terratrike people for making such a wonderful and affordable trike.
  • I would like to know if this chain problem with path 8 has been identified as an assembly problem, if so does the manual actually 'clearly show' the proper way to assemble this bike. I just ordered a path 8.
    best regards
  • the chain problem was due to not placing the rear wheel at exact center. and also u need to tighten the chain little bit. Then there is no problem of chaining comming off. Congrats on trike purchase, its pure pleasure to ride.