Comments

• Try walking on linoleym covered cement with then on. LOL  Dude has a funny walk! :P
  • I'd love to be on a clipless setup. I already upgraded my pedals to the Shimano combo clipless/platform ones when the old pedal bearings wore out.

Two problems for me though:

I have huge feet (size 14) and have no money. :( 

Regular shoes are ridiculously expensive, especially in my size. Cycling shoes even more so.  Sometimes you see massive sales where a pair is in the $30's, but that 's usually someone trying to dump leftover stock of much smaller sizes.

- PaulNM
  • @IdahoTrailLizard ;

Most (but not all) cycling shoes tend to have a recessed area for the cleat. That way you can still clip in, yet walk normally without the cleat hitting the floor.

- PaulNM
  • Clipless mountain bike shoes are recessed
  • edited November 2016
    The soles on my Shimano shoes are hard and very stiff. There is no flex to them at all, so walking is a bit weird.
    @PaulNM. Check eBay for shoes. Might find a good deal there.
  • It is my understanding there are three basic types of cycling shoes: touring, mountain bike and road bike or racing. Touring is the most flexible, with the road/racing being the stiffest. They are designed for very little if any walking.
  • edited November 2016
    The mountain bike shoes allow you to walk or run with the bike, sometimes on your shoulder. This is an element of mountain bike riding on occasion.

My wife races mountain bikes competitively at age 65 and usually is a podium finisher in the over 50 group.
  • Living in Arizona Im able to use these year round
    Im able to walk in them just fine. I use them on my trike and both my stationary and regular bike. once you go sandals you never go back!
  • I have SIDI Road Race Clipless Shoes (hard to walk in), but recently found a Great Clipless Shoe from GIANT Bicycles...looks like, wears like, walks like a regular shoe when off the Trike.....$90.....8rvrv9d742tc.jpg
  • The pros & cons of clipless vs. non clipless have been debated on this forum without consensus before, so I'll try not to start a new debate on the topic. Suffice it to say that most cyclists prefer so-called clipless shoes & pedals, but the science does not indicate much, if any, efficiency benefit.

• On my MTB days I rode flat pedal & toe clips. Toe clips hurt my toes and I think had more ingrown toenail issues using them. Although easier to get into I think toe clips were more for comfort and seating the foot in a particular position per the pedal.
    When those got tore out due to a deer collision, it did take some time to acclimate back to flat pedals. That night actually one pedal had a clip still functional whereas the other was torn apart (irreparable).

Per the Rover i8 I've only had flat pedals with the comfort velcro straps. I never really realized any extra power with those heel slings on, and was pedal mashing.
    One downside was some bumps would dislodge the feet as I went slightly airborne and that concerned me.

When I went clipless (seems odd, you're clipped-in but they are called clipless??) the feet stayed in no matter the terrain, bumps, slipperiness, or anything. Sometimes it's a pain getting out, but my feet feel more secure. (Wished I could clip my butt into the seat like this at times too.)
    However, I have noticed that I have an extra power reserve with the SPD system. I've got 13W feet, but had to go with a Unisex 14 to get better comforts with normal socks. So I have to force the heel in the heel socket more, then lace up tight over that to keep the heel in - but have to snug down. In retrospect I wished there was a low quarter hiking boot style for an SPD system as my feet could stay seated better.

Anyhow, back to the topic. I've found that I can indeed pull back on the SPD pedal with one foot while the other is mashing. It feels odd to me as I'm not accustomed to such a technique. But I can curl my toes in the shoes to give me a tighter shoe seating and thus can pull back on pedal strokes which actually can get me up hills better than without - but I have to consciously use the skill as it is new to me. It's like having a slight energy reserve. Although at my nooby level I seems to exert more bodily resources to pull back, and I do get winded faster ... yet I've managed a few 6% to 11% inclines that I could not do before. And as an added benefit, this sort of exercise is actually doing good for the plantar fasciitis like issues my feet acquired.
    Still think I pedal mash more as I've not developed the skill to become second nature.
    And my feet feel secured in the pedals, which to me makes it the main benefit of going SPD. The rest are bonuses.

Now to go one further, first MTB was a Peugeot. Second was a Specialized Rockhopper that I still own. The latter has Biopace gears, and I personally think that gives a better rider advantage as the mashing foot is presented earlier on the downstroke in comparison to a round gear. Never used clipless pedals on an MTB.
    I think if there is an e-derailleur available to handle a Shimano Biopace I'd give that a try. Thing is I need an LBS or another mechanic that is willing to try this idea at my expense. - I have not found a bike mechanic that likes the Biopace system as much as I do. That and that a friend is riding my Rockhopper is why I haven't tried the idea out.

Wished I could land my paws on a set of new Biopace gears (28x38x48) and a capable BB derailleur to give my idea a shot.