New kind of tires - I want these!

LoopWheels - If only we could order these on our TerraTrike trikes!

Imagine - a full suspension trike without the engineering and costs of a suspension system.

• They have them for mountain bikes. 26" MTB wheels and tires fit on the rover. And I know it will throw off the gearing and you will have to make changes to accommodate that. Point is it is just a small step from a mountain bike to a trike.

However, this is why it won't work.........
  • According to their site, they started with 20" wheels. Their own "foldable" bike uses 20" wheels. So . . . tell me again why they won't work?
  • One on the rear should fit if the trike is wide enough and you use a derailleur or 3 speed.
    "2: Width of the Drop-out centre The "drop out centre" on a bike is the distance between the forks where the hub fits. People also refer to the overlock nut dimension: it's basically the same measurement. Watch out to check your forks are wide enough for our hubs!On the rear, it must be: 117mm for the 3 speed rear wheel or 135mm for the derailleur loopwheel. On the front, it must be: 100mm3:"
  • I think spendy is going to be a very generous word for the number you get. Should we start a pool?
    I'm thinking $500@. Plus tire and cassette.
  • The 20 inch "Original Loopwheel" is £833.33, or ~$1,028 usd. And that's a sale, the usual price is £999.99 ($1,233.59).

Personally, I have some concerns about this concept. For starters, what kind of rolling resistance does this add? This would depend on how stiff the particular wheel is as they do vary. If it's soft, the axle will be under the center of the wheel and therefore cause a fair amount of rolling resistance. If stiffer, then I fail to see how this would be any better than having a Big Apple/Ben or other balloon tire.

Another more trike-centric concern is how good is the lateral support? Trikes (usually) don't lean, the front wheels in particular experience a good deal of lateral forces. I suspect wear and tear will be quite high on this kind of wheel design, if not outright failure during riding.

I'm not saying they're a scam, they do seem useful for light folding city bikes and wheelchairs. I just don't think trikes are a good fit for them. Even ignoring cost, I also don't see how this would be any better suspension than a good tire. In fact I think it's the opposite, as a tire can warp around smaller road disturbances that'll make the entire loopwheel jerk around.

- PaulNM
  • $200 per wheel? I thought you had said $1200 per wheel. At $1200 they are losing their freeking minds!
  • Costs? Who knows what volume might do ? 20" units would bolt right on the front of the Rover, Now if they could be fitted w brake rotors There are other ones on the horizon with different designs but similar concepts. The YouTube videos are quite impressive as to how well they work and the lateral stability. They have MTB 26 in with disc brakes being tested and prototyped currently.Wouldn't pooh pooh them too quickly Paul NM. That's what a lot of trikers did to the Rover when it was introduced.

This is a pretty revolutionary concept that might well revolutionize suspension. I'll keep an open mind and wait and watch.
  • Ok. One, it's not revolutionary. This concept has been around for quite awhile, and several people have come up with similar variants on the idea. That said, the Loopwheel is one of the better ones.

There's a difference between critical analysis and pooh poohing an idea. There are a bunch of other "innovative" ideas out there that generate excitement and interest, but that doesn't mean they're any good. (Things like magical angled crank arms that supposedly even out pedaling.) I made it a point to say these wheels aren't a scam and mention things they are good for, but there are concerns that need to be addressed regarding trike usage.  

The one thing they do *really* well is handle large shocks gracefully. That's what makes them absolutely ideal for wheelchairs. Most bike/trike riding also has to deal with many smaller bumps/shocks. These type of wheels will handle them, but not as well as a balloon tire would. 

The few videos I can find are more marketing oriented, and I haven't found any involving a trike. They are impressive in their ability to dampen vertical shocks, but I see nothing that addresses lateral stability. Aside from trikes having far more lateral forces on wheels, even the bike videos tend to just show people riding straight forward.

At one point they said they were developing a trike version, that page no longer exists. I've looked at a bunch of articles and reviews, none talk about lateral stability. I have a hard time finding anything from an actual owner, just reviewers who only had the wheels for a short time.

In wheel suspension will naturally cause extra rolling resistance. Loopwheels are heavier than spoke wheels. There's limited info about their longevity and/or durability. They may be worth the high cost compared to spoke wheels, assuming you're ok with the downsides. (Like many wheelchair users.)

The thing is this thread has been mostly about using them as a suspension system, in which case they're far inferior to a good set of balloon tires for most riding situations. Given all the other issues and unknowns regarding Loopwheels, that makes a very small group for whom it makes sense.

I was way off on the price, though. The ~$1,000-$1,300 was for an entire folding bike. Their wheelchair wheels are around $935 - $1,333 usd per pair. Reviews/articles about the 20 inch wheels put them at ~$462 usd depending on the type you get.

- PaulNM

• OK, let's understand something about my goals here. I don't know where you are riding, but my Michigan roads and sidewalks SUCK. 3, 4, and even 5 inch drops and rises - and those are just the places I dare to ride my trike on. My fat ass is getting banged hard going over those things. My only other option is to load up the trike and drive 20 miles to a MUP, and sometimes I just want to get out and ride the neighborhood.

These wheels look fairly firm on solid ground (not horrible rolling resistance); and they use standard tire rubber and tubes. 

So, take these and put Big Apple rubber on them and you should have all your bases covered. 
    Assuming, of course, that they can take the lateral forces everyone keeps talking about.
  • Received the following from loopwheels. Reply was within 12 hrs. Pretty impressive to get a response from any manufacturer that quickly even if it wasn't what I'd hoped

"Thanks for getting in touch  and for your enquiry for trike wheels.

Unfortunately we no longer produce 20” wheels for trikes or bikes, these had hub brakes.

We stopped manufacture late last year as the wheelchair wheels took over massively so we took a diversion into the mobility market.

We had a great deal of interest in disc brake wheels so this is something we’d love to introduce in the future so watch this space!"

Sorry if 'pooh poohing'' comment touched a nerve, Wasn't meant to

• I also emailed them, and their answer to me was the same with an added "watch this space for great news coming soon", so perhaps the wait won't be too horrific.