Comments

• Very helpful. Thank you.
  • The eyes and brain sense motion. Moving legs and feet are motion. Flashing light is motion. Fluorescent hat and shirt are not motion. But Trek knows nothing.
  • (Two Cents  :D)  I rely on my two flag masts.  The first is the generic TT yellow flag with my Army flag  angled slightly backwards.  Second is vertical and has the twin lime green (reflective stripe down the middle)ribbons that flutter nicely in the breeze.

On the front is a Minoura mount (Utah Trikes: all metal, doesn't vibrate) with both a Cycliq Fly 12 set on irregular flash (simultaneous video) and a $10 light from Harbor Freight (good device!).  If it's getting dark I let the Cycliq keep on flashing and I set the HF light on constant.  I get the advantage of the flash and the constant to light the roadway.

On the rear is a $5 triangular light from Harbor Freight set so the red outer LED group is flashing.  I now also have a Cycliq Fly 6 which will video and can be set to various forms of blinking/flashing.  I still need to make a mount for the Fly 6.

In over 18 months and 3,800+ miles I've had no problem with visibility except for one chronologically challenged driver who mindlessly pulled out in front of me.  I was able to slow down and avoid that one.  I don't think that driver even saw me and it was a clear, sunny day.  I could barely see some grey hair over the door edge and some bony fingers on the steering wheel.  

I wear a helmet but generally not high vis clothing.  I but never listen to music or wear earbuds.  Even if (I'm a ham radio guy) I have my HT while I'm riding the ear piece is hanging loose and the volume is low.  If I'm called I slow down and even move over and stop if I want to have a conversation.  Riding will always be a risk.  Do your best to stay safe...

I would say that whatever you have, use and feel comfortable with... keep using it.  AND, be diligent, aware and conscious of your surroundings.  I think the latter is the most important.

Keep riding and enjoy the riding.  I do so enjoy riding and I'll take the risks involved.  Ride on!
  • I was looking for a larger flag and just found this site.
    Do you think they would see me with one of these?  The price is so good, I could buy 2.
  • edited March 1
    Better prices than some of those $60 ones I've seen.  I suggest "you" not look directly at them for any length of time because it could cause brain damage.  ~X(

You've hit on a really good flag sight.  Prices are reasonable and there's a wide selection.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Jamesr,
     Notice the actual airplane uses flashing strobes ?

• Those soundwind spinners are very cool. I've also got a wind sock shaped like a fish, brightly colored, that I need to attach to the top of one of my 2 flag poles on my Rover.

I got the idea from youtube's "SA Triker" videos - his wife rides with one of these fishy wind socks. Very visible.
  • I was looking for something bigger and more visible.  This will fit the bill.
  • Sure and Trek knows nothing.
  • JRobiso2,  I attached those ribbons to the staff using self-stick Velcro.  I wrapped a short piece of the Velcro around the very top end of the staff.  I then put a grommet through the Velcro (grommet kit from Lowe's for like $5).  I took 36" of the lime green ribbon, folded it in half and put a grommet through it.  Now I used a cable tie to attach ribbons to staff.

I watched some videos of rides from HOT (Darn, wanted to attend this year, but couldn't) and saw a colorful array of things people had on their trikes.

At the Expo before El Tour de Tucson I saw the Trek booth and they were pushing strobe lights.  The one thing I carried away from that pitch was that a strobe should be an irregular cycle.  Yep, it made sense to me.  We are so used to seeing regular flashing lights from many sources.  Irregular sequences kind of interrupt our brains and make us take notice.  When I got my new Cycliq Fly 12 it was both a video cam and a headlight.  It has a choice of an irregular flash and that's the one I use.  The Fly 6 for the rear has a choice of a circular sequence of red LEDs.  I like irregular...

Jamesr, I agree with your observations on LED lighting.  Police cars around here have strobes all over the place (built into grills and taillight areas).  Those new blue light bars are simply blinding in dark areas.  I saw an accident scene with several police and fire vehicles and was nearly blinded by the lights.  Rubber-neckin-sightseers were really affected by the scene.  Poor fools. 8-|
  • Regarding lighting. Here in Michigan our county snow plows used green flashing light this winter. They really get your attention since most everything out there is red or blue. The green would probably not work as well once the trees leaf out.
  •   Will say that Bontrager's (Trek) daytime strobe, front and rear, makes a serious difference when out on the road. Have seen reactions from other drivers since putting them on and around here people don't phase them out or other such nonsense.

With the SoundWinds reflective flag I added extra safety day & night.

Since putting the Bontrager lights on I've not had an issue of not being seen, day or night. I don't do armchair analysis, I observe people, the drivers while I'm pedaling along.

Nothing is failsafe - yet having less or none is beyond stupid if you're riding in or around traffic. You're pitting yourself against vehicles, do whatever it takes to be seen.

And remember, on a trike you're a low lower to the ground than a cyclist. Vehicles are taller than you are, and they have hoods obstructing their view. You may see them, but do they see you --- down there?