Rear bearing(s)

Before tearing things apart and figuring out the hard ways, hoping someone can short-cut me some info.  Have a 2013 TT Tour 2 with Elite drive train (SRAM 9-gear cassette, etc.) with 3000 miles.  I just recently gave it a thorough cleaning, discovered that chain was done so replaced it.  During this, spinning the rear wheel by hand seems noisier and slows quicker than what I think to be normal.  Wondering if there is wear/tear with the rear wheel bearing and/or the cleaning (Simple Green degreaser) might have gotten in the bearing.

I have OK general and bike mechanical abilities but haven't worked on cycle rear bearings.  Are these sealed, or can they be cleaned, repacked, etc.?  Advice on replacement or regreasing?  Thanks.

(Prefer to do this stuff myself at least to become more self sufficient)

Comments

• dunno. tinkered with such and came to conclusion maybe more prudent to install a new hub: a matter of relacing with existing spokes.

despite the divorce, utah trikes is still modding rovers and such and so has available such jewels [for $10] as
    http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11618848.html

same regard, their rear wheelkits are worth looking at - $60 for a 20-inch:
    http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11615932.html

seems like past november and through the winter, utah trikes cleans out old components at interesting prices. for cheap, though, a trip to goodwill or such and $50 might end up with an interesting rear wheel, driveline set along with the accompanying 2-wheeler frame.

• edited March 13
    jamesr:  I don't think they're really doing any TT modding. Those are all leftover parts they've been trying to unload at discounted prices for a while now. I doubt they would refuse to work on one if a customer brought it in, but otherwise they simply not dealing with TT products anymore.

I second Utah Trikes for sourcing TT wheels. One thing to note is the wheels they have come drilled for presta tubes, not schrader. At least mine did, anyway.

You'd need cassette removal and installer tools either way. Installer an new wheel is cleaner and easier than trying to open a hub and repack. I'm not even sure you can open and repack these newer hubs, they're not really meant for it. At the very least, getting a new wheel will give you more time and confidence in disassembling the old one to find out if it's even possible. You won't have to worry too much if you mess it up. :) 

-- PaulNM
  • Ok so you're mechanically inclined, I'll give you the readers digest condensed version. Remove the wheel, and then the cassette. You'll need cassette removal tools for that. Remove the axel and then the bearings. Take them to your LBS and get new ones. Put it all back together as you found it. It's really not difficult, just take a pic of each step so you can put it back together without missing anything.

And you should repack your bearings every 300-500 miles.
  • Hm, thanks for the responses.  Not sure what I'm up against; I can see on TT specs that the cassette is an SRAM PG-950, and visually that matches what I have.  The cassette lock nut is marked SRAM, so perhaps the freehub & hub are SRAM?  Looking the the SRAM site, they seem to have 2010 service manuals that show replaceable bearing assemblies (sealed?) in the hub rather than removable ball bearings, then there are 2014 manuals.  The wheel rim & hub are marked TerraTrike, so I don't know what make/vintage/model they are.  Unless someone share these secrets, I'll have to wait a couple more weeks for birthday (loaded up wish list with cassette tools, etc.).  Hopefully I can tell after removing cassette and freehub what I've got.

If I need to replace hub/freehub/wheel, I may just upgrade to 26-inch and change whole drive train (will want to change gearing to keep similar gear-inches so I can continue to climb hills with my arthritic knees and non-athletic engine).
  • edited March 26
    if you havent, loosen the axle nuts a wee tad and give the wheel a spin. if unhappy still, a call to your lbs would probably result in suggestion to replace the hub, ~$20 from terratrike dealer as i recall.  you may wish to consider real advice on freehub service at http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/freehub-service

easy conjecture if you go from a 20-inch to a 26-inch wheel that the old arthritic knees would present an object lesson in regret. if the knees are talking to you on hills, an mtb crankset [22-32-44 or thereabouts] would probably be the simplest solution to continuing the pleasure of turning pedals.