speeds with hubs

How fas can one expect to cruise with a Rover or Rambler using the hubs, on a flat?
It will be my first trike and will expect to get one in a month.  Wife will prob get hers
in August.  I liked to go fast on my upright but now i am
feeling uneasy on it.  I would like to lose 25 lbs riding. Not working now so would 
have the time to ride.  I will have the 30 return policy so I can decide if this is the
right one for me.  Thanks for any input.  da Finn.

• What about the important accessories to get first? Will you get "stoned" without fenders? A flag, yes! My wife will try it out too. If she likes it and I don't , I will look for another. Are there any other "high seat" bike mfg's? I don't want feet above my body, aka cat Trike.
    Thanks again.
  • Me again. Can the Rover be taken apart with a rack installed behind the seat?
  • It CAN be, but really the Rover isn't meant to be taken apart and put back together a lot. Especially if you ordered the i8, as the chain will be "straight", unfettered by derailleurs and other "slack" devices.

If you find that the gearing on your Rover is insufficient, a popular add-on is a Patterson Drive to replace the front crankset. It can extend the gearing considerably. Price point is around $300. 
  • Prob going with the NuVinci hub, wether it be the Rover or Rambler. We have a 5x10' aluminum trailer that we tote our kayaks in. It would suffice for two trikes assembled I believe. We go north a few times a year. Bike path by Gaylord is crushed limestone. Wife won't ride up there on roads because of a lower profile on a trike.
  • Unless you're in super physical shape you probably will not be able to maintain the speeds you did on your upright. My wife rides a Trek Madone with Cherry Capital over in Traverse City. She does three long rides a week with a 16-18mph pace and this includes all the hills in the area. I'm in pretty good shape riding a light Zoomer trike and cannot keep up with her.
  • We will see how it goes. We rode the bike in late December around the store. Too cold to take it outside plus we had no place to store it. Now we do. Hope these bikes are the godsend so we can ride pain free. Is the snow gone in TC
  •   At 17MPH I was a bit concerned on the Rover, course was going down hill. Had ever so lightly applied the brakes as I don't feel comfortable going any faster. Even in 8th gear I can't pedal that fast - and the trike starts swaying side to side cause there's no friction.

If Mark Powers could get the the replacement post out to me I could get larger chainrings on the front. Going down hill I could set the chain into top gear and maybe find something I can pedal with and have some friction to pedal with.

Was funny though. the left wheel came off the ground twice today, but not doing high speeds. More of the dips and ramps in sidewalks for cars.
  • Finn58
    Snow is gone, been riding finally
  • If you can go with $50, you can use an e-type derailleur and use your old post just for the cable stop. Oh, also a $9 Origin8 clamp on cable stop that clamps to the post and allows down-routing of the cable to the derailleur.
  • We may pick up a Rover first. I want to ride a Rambler while at dealer in a week or so. But I want wife to put in time on this trike b4 we get hers in August, no matter what model we buy first. Can't wait. Walking for exercise is getting old.
  • i'm thinking of buying a rover, but i don't understand the information given in the specifications section.  what is the difference in the various gearing packages?  i like the sound of the internal hub, because i never had much luck with derailleurs on regular bikes, so i probably wouldn't on a trike.  i'm also concerned about my size.  i'm 6'4', 330 lbs with a 48" inch waist.  will i need the big, wide, fat boy handle bars and seat?  I live in Carlsbad NM, so there isn't a dealer within a days journey and will have to have it shipped to me from the factory.  since i'm kind of an idiot were tools are involved, will i be in over my head?  thanks, guys.
  • How flat is your land? Yes get the bars. Maybe on the seat. I'm 54" waist and the regular seat is too skinny.

IGH is great, but leaves little room for modification of the drivetrain. @jamesr is our expert there. Don't get the i8, ask for the NuVinci 380 when you call. i8 uses Sturmey-Archer which makes you stop pedaling to shift. NuVinci can be changed any time. @jamesr do I have that right?
  • Hi @carl   You'll probably get more answers if you start a new discussion instead, but here are my thoughts.

You're well under the weight limit of 400lbs, even if you add weight via panniers/bags/accessories. Height-wise you're fine as well, the seat and boom are adjustable. I'm 6-6'1" myself and don't have the seat all the way back. Nor do I have my boom extended to the max.

Wide seat and handle bars are a good question. I'm ~245lbs with a 42-44 waist, and find the standard Rover pretty roomy. I suspect you'll certainly fit, it's really a question of comfort. There are a few folks on these forums who have gone with wide route. One reason I can recall is that they didn't like the handlebars rubbing on their thighs, so it depends on your body type and where the weight is as well, One thing to be aware of is that they do push the handlebars out more, so if you have short arms it could be an issue. I don't know how much wider the wide seat is, so not sure how much of a benefit it gives. The wide seat and handlebars don't require each other, so you can go wide on both, standard on both, or standard for one and wide for the other.

If you've had experience with external gearing and didn't like it, or had issues with adjusting it, you'll experience the same with a trike. Aside from the frame, a majority of the trike components are standard bike components. (Pedals, chain, tires, disc brakes, shifters, derailleurs, etc)  If you have a competent bike shop or bike mechanic nearby, they shouldn't have issues servicing the trike even if they're not an "official dealer". 

The gearing ranges are somewhat similar across the four rover variants. (The i8 comes with one of two different internal hubs.)  Check out http://terratrike.com/comparemodels.php for more details. Basically the i8 with a Sram hub has the lowest gearing, the x8 is ever so slightly higher, the i8 with an SA hub has the highest gearing, and the n330 has a really wide range. It goes as low as the Sram hub, and almost as high as the SA. 

The i8 and n330 variants certainly have a cleaner chainline. There are no derailleurs or tensioners needed, so less stuff to adjust. 

Which gearing works for you depends on the kind of hills and surface you'll be taking. It's hard to figure out without test rides if you don't have direct experience with recumbents and or trikes. You mentioned using upright bikes before. Recently? Do you recall what kind of gearing was on that, and how it felt to you? Gearing between different vehicles (especially different types) isn't 1-to-1, but at least it could get us into the ballpark.

I'd strongly suggest calling TerraTrike about what you want as well. For one, it'll let you do a custom order. Secondly, it may save you money. I don't know what TT's policy is, but it's possible they won't charge you the full cost of wider bars/seat if they consider it an upgrade. (On the other hand they may just consider it an extra purchase, and still ship the original parts as well.)

As I write this only the i8 is listed as being in stock, but that can change at any time.

- PaulNM

• Most internal hubs need you to back off pressure on the pedals to shift. The Nuvinci n330 (and n360/380 variants) is an exception to this. There is a benefit, though. You can fully shift while stopped, whereas an external setup requires you to be moving to shift. 

I've heard the Nuvinci hubs might not be able to fully shift from one extreme to the other without at least some movement, but they can be shifted while stopped as well.

- PaulNM
  • thanks, guys.  i'm 60, so any bike experience i've had is lost in the haze of time.  i will be peddling on mostly flat or gently rolling, as my lower back and knees are almost shot.  i will order a nuvi style hub, with regular seats.  my fat is pretty much evenly distributed.  can't wait.  thanks again.
  • I rode a mountain occasionally until 2007.  I bought a Rover in 2014 and it was a miracle.  My arthritic knees worked again.  Wish I had a trike years ago.  And, the trike does not make my arthritic back hurt.  Actually, it feels better after riding.  BTW, I'm about the same age.  
  • Just got done walking a mile and a half with my better half near Lake
    Michigan on a bike path. My right hip started in not long after starting.
    Saturday we are going to a bike shop with the trikes. Can't wait. Wish it was
    tomorrow. Going to ride Rover and Rambler I hope. Hope to ride a few minutes to see if the hip starts in. Used to leave my wife in the dust walking.
    Tonight she had to wait for me. Happy to hear about all of you getting
    mobile again by using trikes. I need some more patience I guess. Have to
    wait a bit longer.
  • Finn58,
    Which dealer you using ?
  • West Michigan bike & Fitness in Holland. Closest one. They have three stores. Grandville and the Kentwood store is not far from Corp Terra Trike. Teased wife at work, telling her I'd text her from Holland. Living on the edge...
  • Saw some blue on radar NW of you o'er da Lake. Get excited...☃️
  • They're tied in with the factory pretty well. Cold here today.
  • Anyone ever put different tires on to run
    Dirt trails or crushed stone like some paths in northern Michigan? Off road
    Rambler had some, but with heavier
    duty rims. Now that model is discontinued.
  • Crushed stone is fine (especially the crushed limestone they use here in MI) for regular tires. Just remember that your chain and gears will need more frequent cleaning (mitrails.org says to try to clean and relube every 20 miles if practical).

I wouldn't off-road without a fat tad in Michigan, though. At least not in the eastern half, being what seems like overgrown swamp. West MI actually has more beneath the grass than bog peet, so maybe there. Still, trikes aren't the best choice for forging a new path through the woods.

West MI Bike and Fitness is the right place. The Kentwood location by TT HQ has everything, and of course is the company TT chose to partner with when they closed the retail half of their building. I've heard rumors that the Holland location is just as good.
  • I learned the components are shipped to this store and assembled there.
    Welding and paint in Kentwood.