Going over 18 MPH

edited May 4 in Rover
  One area near home has a curved road that goes under a railroad pass, though this road is bermed I have no real fear in letting the Rover go past 18 MPH, though I don't dare try to pedal when approaching 20 MPH. It's when the trike slows down to 16 that i can start pedaling in 8th and having some control.
  At times this makes me pucker in my seat going that fast, which is probably due to me not being used to riding the Rover.

Yesterday doing down-across the Snake River bridge I was starting to accelerate past 14, but the road surface was wobbly, so started breaking. Perhaps it's the fear that right at the base of the grade is a right-hand turning lane for vehicles turning into Walmart and I had a close call on the Rockhopper once, or that there is far more traffic here, but I lightly brakes to keep myself at 12 MPH.

Other grades, like coming down a freeway overpass, was clipping along at 15 MPH was rather fun. Think I'm clinching up when I'm in more traffic and going down hills?

Am having a lot of fun on the Rover, though am thinking perhaps I should adjust the handlebars to give them more of an angle rather than being so forward and horizontal. Are there any tips others can share about adjusting handlebars from their own personal/professional experience?

At low speeds am okay though. Have noticed after riding that my shoulders seems to get slightly sore, probably from using the muscles in different ways or that I'm clinching. Going up hills I find myself gripping the bars and tugging as I'm pedaling, like what I did with the Rockhopper. Wondering of this is a bad habit that I need to break?

An older photo with old pedals, though the handlebars haven't been changed

Comments

•   I know this video. :)  Guess am sort of wondering how others have theirs adjusted.

• edited May 4
    In the time I rode my TT Rambler GT (26" rear)  2,714 miles, my Catrike 559 (900+) and now my Catrike Dumont (total now at least 4,000+ miles) I've naturally come to play with seat and handlebar adjustments based upon how I feel after a good, long drive.  

Getting to know the handling characteristics and comfort feel of a trike boils down to experience.  I would urge everyone to experiment by making tiny adjustments as you come to know your trike better and better.  Every trike is different and every person (your body) is different.  Your riding situation is different.

I realized how much difference there was between the TTRGT and the 559 because the TT sat much higher and the 559 sat much lower. It's the laws of physics.  As you ride you'll come to know your limitations and those of your trike.  High speeds definitely increases the pucker factor!

I grew to love the Shimano clip pedals.  My body had to tell me that I expended a lot of leg energy making sure my feet were always firmly on the pedals (fear of leg suck).  That was wasted energy I could use for applying power to the pedals (longer rides with less fatigue, peace of mind).

I went from horizontal grips to vertical grips which were less stressful for me because my arms were now closer to my body and my shoulders more relaxed.  I had originally gone with horizontal grips (and grip shifters) because my bike was that way and it was a natural transition.  For you things may be different because of your height, the length of your legs and even the size of your hands.

I was totally new to trikes and I had to learn all of these things through experience and experimentation.  Pay attention to your body and don't be afraid to tweak adjustments.  Experience is the best teacher and, of course, reading and participating in this forum system.   I've learned so much from here myself.
  • What equipment do I have on the trikes
    for a mph reading??
  • I use a Planet Bike Protege 9 computer.  It give MPH, temperature, time on the ride, ODO and other stuff I don't use and would have to look up.  It uses a sensor on the wheel (not wireless).
  • Seems there r apps for my iPhone but holding it up while keeping an eye out is not the best. State Police are out in disguise these days in Michigan. I'll have to look for a unit.
  • edited May 4
      Had two cruisers look at me. One was on the sidewalk in Ontario OR: the police cruiser looked at me (panic) I waved, he waved, I check rear view mirror, exhaled, pedaled onwards.

Use CycleDroid on smartphone via a Joby GripMount Pro, yet is easier to look down at the Sigma BC-1009. Not a fan of twist lock as this particular Sigma model comes out if brushed up against.
      Much preferred a mount like the extinct Cateye ATC CC-8000. But yours has a temperature gauge on it, how cool! If only had an altimeter/barometer too I'd be all over it. ;)

Use the phone mostly to play music with a JBL Flip 3 Bluetooth Speakers hanging behind the set in a TerraTrike Seat Bag. That bluetooth speaker has like 10 hours of life in it.
  • Its funny how you feel about speed as time goes by when I first got my rover going downhill at 14MPH had me horrified after a year of riding I cruise at 12MPH on the flats and go downhill at 20 no worries. But there is a 5 mile grade near my place iI rode 2 weekends ago comming down I hit 27MPH (Varified by speedometer and th speed limit warning sign} and all I could think was dang this is fun. Of corse Im crazy
  • edited May 5
      ROFLMAO!! :D  Man, that's would be worth posting, being on a human-only powered trike and breaking the speed limit on radar. Get a pic of hat and post it. Definitely would be bragging rights!
  • Mostly I cruise at 7 to 10 mph enjoying the scenery, but once in a while it's fun to go a bit faster.  Last November (2016) when I rode in El Tour de Tucson there was a l-o-n-g gentle stretch downhill.  It was fairly straight, and new smooth pavement, and I was able to get into the big ring (high gear).  I topped at 30-32 mph and I was passing bicycles.  They'd look down at me in wonder... It was exhilarating.  Little did they know that I was more concerned in getting to the finish line before the cutoff time.  Most didn't see me huffing and puffing on the long upgrades or into the stiff headwind on the latter part of the circuit.  And, I wasn't about to share that with any of them.  I wore my medal with pride...
  • Almost hit a woman standing in the middle of the path,looking up at birds, binocs glued to her eyes. She backed up and came close. Gotta put those sleigh bells back on my upright. Will ride her Rover tonight. Bought a small bell for her handlebars. Don't need someone falling in my lap!
  • edited May 5
      Thought about an AirZounds, but where to mount one? Under/On a Versa Bar maybe??

Have a cling-cling bell. It's almost worthless is this day of age when people are plugged-in or are distracted with their lives. Have noticed that some pedestrians aren't good at being pedestrians. Sure, I have a cool ride, but could you please move out of my path - not more into it. LOL
      BLAAAAP! Yeah, that might cause terror and get sued for an audible attack on a pedestrian ... though it sure would be good to have at times.
  • I've seen AirZound bottles mounted under the frame, with the hose up to the blower mounted on the handlebar vertical portion.
  • AirZound for roadways. Don't need that noise on a trail.
  • Or at least bleed off some pressure from the bottle so it's not as loud.

- PaulNM
  • Airzounds are adjustable, so you can tune the sound down a bit.

As far as tension on the shoulders... I find that when I start feeling it, I start riding one-handed.  Put the other hand on my leg or grab my soda or vape stick. I can ease the tension a lot that way. If it's both shoulders then I alternate. 

Or I just plain stop and walk for a bit...  Always something nice to see on the trails here. 
  • Vape stick? I'm trying to quit smoking. Do those things help?
  • edited May 9
    I know a few people who were finally able to quit using them. The big thing is that the juices come in a variety of nicotine levels. You can slowly replace occasional smoke breaks with a vape unit, until you're only vaping. Then start dropping the nicotine levels until you hit zero. Plenty of flavors, too.

- PaulNM
  • Hmmmm. Thanks.
  • I was a two pack a day Marb Red habit. (So about $20/day at Washington prices or most bar prices.) I go through about $0.40 a day in nico now. Haven't had a cig in over 4 years.

10 days after I started vaping I realized I hadn't had a cig in almost 3 days.

So do they help? Oh yeah. BUT stay away from the prebuilt ones like Blu. Get into something like either an EGo or a mod. Depending on what you smoke now, keep the nico level fairly low. I started with 24mg/ml and am now down to 12mg/ml. But I had a VERY serious habit...

I buy nico from reputable US sellers in 2x1 liter bottles and it lasts me 15-18 months. When it's gone (or nearly) I order the next level down in nico. Mix my own flavors as well, and they are food grade flavorings from US dealers.
  • Thanks. I'm a 1 pack per day Marb Red. I had stopped for a few weeks, but then had a "cheater" and . . . one thing led to another, and I'm at it again.
  •   You do realized you're plugging up the air intake of your engine by doing that. /GDR
  • Exactly, James. I hear my own heavy wheezing while riding and feel disgusted with myself for failing in my effort to totally quit. 

But enough about my mid-life psychology . . . .
  •   Got the Da Brim visor in today. Now to see if it works with my helmet. Going to be hot two days, then cooling down and possible rain again next week. :\
  • We expect a full report - in a new post. I think we've done enough tangents in this one, eh?
  •   Had hoped to of kept everything on my end on one post... but that didn't last long. Looking back of some of my initial inquires I felt like swatting myself with a large pool noodle a time or two.
  • my british army pith helmet came in today, about same price as da brim. weighs 3 or 4 ounces, shades eyes, ears, back of neck. in theory, soak in water and have several hours evaporative cooling riding in the sun. out and about 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. from june-september in florida is sweaty head time even with a floppy hat. its brim, however, folds back during those rare moments doing 7 mph or so with gravity assist, hence the pith hat.
  •   Mine is an approved bicycle helmet. Done been down on it once but I kept it. Could of gotten a free replacement from Bontrager if I wanted it. Figured I'd wait in case I took a more serious fall, but then I got a Rover. :)

Yours is a hat, probably would shatter on initial impact and do nothing for real protection when you needed it.
  • You mean his skull would shatter on impact :-)
  •   Friend wanted to ride the Rockhopper, so dug it out and aired it up. Hopped on and whoa, was like I hadn't ridden before. Was all wobbly and what not, and I was not liking the leaning forward one bit. Riding a trike messed me up for riding a bicycle, not that I'm complaining.

Friend is considering riding down the WRT with me but doesn't want to take his Schwinn single speed, so he asked to borrow the Rockhopper.
  • Haven't you stolen all the Rockhopper's good parts for use on the Rover?