Foreign Hackers

Something has to be done about these foreign hackers!!  Today my screen is filled with them!!   What language is that?

Chonk, I know you are busy, but this is ruining the whole purpose of the Forum.

TheDuke

Comments

• Just flag them as spam, and they'll get removed when someone gets in the office tomorrow. (They're Russian, BTW.)

Let's not overstate what's happening. People are creating accounts and posting spam, this isn't the site getting "hacked".

Agree it's annoying, it may be time for TT to reevaluate account creation as this seems to be happening more frequently lately. Perhaps change the bot detection used?

- PaulNM
  •   Yeah, is getting a bit ridiculous and I feel bad for the moderator. And no caviar either.
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • Yup, they got tired of hacking elections so they came here
  • ROFL @ TCEd's comment
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • Hmmm, given the number of accounts involved, looks like this is being automated. Wonder if it's an issue with reCAPTCHA or Vanilla Forums? TT is using reCAPTCHA V1, maybe V2 would work better?

- PaulNM
  •   TT prolly should have some sort of filter that recognizes various Russian language letters and then blocks them. Sad part is that someone may be Russian and a customer and one day try to reach out... and stunts like these end up hurting others.

Still, is getting way out of hand. Why they picking on this forum of all places?
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • It's automated. Scan the internet for known combinations that you can deal with, then spam away. If you're lucky whoever you hit isn't paying attention or keeping thing maintained, and your spam posts get picked up by search engines. Vanilla is a widely used forum software and Google's reCAPTCHA v1 isn't supported anymore.

Really, the best solution is preventing the automated account creations as spam posts aren't the only thing they could be used for. Pretty much any other anti-spam approach has drawbacks that affect users.

- PaulNM
  •   Sort of made me wonder by all them sudden trike sales or multiples wanting to buy something that was posted in the Classifies ages ago. Though some seem ligitimate, others... .
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • Nah, those are legitimate. This is a prime time for used sales and the site's theme makes a bunch info hard to see.  Many of them aren't aware how old those posts are. Plus, we humans can be silly at times. I've seen folks respond to ancient posts on other forums where the dates were far more obvious. Plus, there was at least one post here where someone asked if the trike was still available, directly after the several year old post saying it was sold. :)

- PaulNM
  •   LOL

On MTO.org a few of us had a contest to see who could resurrect the oldest post. But there was an almost anything goes if it was done in taste. Most of what we did there would be bannable on here and Bentforums. But I've been over at MTO since about the time I was a commoner on Leatherman's elite crowd.

Way past bedtime. Had a cup of wine to relax me, it did the opposite... !  Have a good night, Paul. :)
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • I tell ya <grrrrrrrr>
    You plug one hole and they find another.

I may have to put some drastic registration restrictions on.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Thanks for cleaning up the website.  It was an absolute mess at 6 am.
  •   Thanks, @chonk - however there's another recent spammer
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • Dang. Can't report the spam using the mobile version
  • If you're using Chrome, there's a "Request desktop site" checkbox in it's menu.

- PaulNM
  • Yeah it was a ver unproductive morning.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Keep flagging them and I'll keep banning them.
    I'm also denying their IP and making all new users verify their email. I'm also denying all .ru emails
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Vanilla forums has very poor spam prevention.
    Even restrictions for new accounts is limited.
    I'm trying to make do with what I have to work with.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited May 8
      Wrote the admins at MTO.org's forums and Grant & Micah replied with:

"We are using a plug in from Stop Forum Spam which checks emails, usernames and IP addresses against a huge database, and a Captcha image to deter automated sign ups. Some still slip through but it prevents the majority of them from getting in and making a mess. Also you can submit new info if relevant (ie a known spam IP has a new email associated or vise versa)."
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • Well, somehow my account and post history was deleted.  Everything.  Nothing remained.  So there are a ton of replies or comments to posts I've made and people are going to wonder what I said that others are replying or commenting on... 

Called TT today, but I had made a new account, and Chonk couldn't restore the old over the new account.

That's what I get for trying to think ahead.  And I guess backups aren't made on the forums, so old posts aren't able to be recovered either...

Strange that the two other forums I frequent that use Vanilla for their boards can do a restore in a matter of minutes... 
  •   Seen that @jamesr's posts vanished from a topic too.
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • @Elrique64 - regard the missing as a community loss. not many doing so, your efforts in demonstrating rover adaptability appreciated.

@IdahoTrailLizard - your loss as well, perhaps. tripped over your questions from 2013 about an all terrain rover. Elrique64 probably has the ultimate in such. his comment on the kenda flames put the icing on the cake for me and his approach to electrifying a rover is, my humble, the better way, disappeared pictures and process indeed a real loss.

the plot, it thickens. unknown to forum as the old, re-registered a bit different.
  • edited May 9
      Wonder why my posts didn't get wiped out too? I did, erm, attempt to communicate with one of them bots... wonder if it's cause I've still been buying stuff from TT?

Good to see you back, @JamesR
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • Ugh. @IdahoTrailLizard, PLEASE tell me you didn't click on one of those links in the spam?????

@Elrique64 I don't know where your other forums are or what their subject is, but TT isn't an IT company and their staff is pretty small. Continuous backups and restore-on-demand are functions of a larger IT division and not something I expect from smaller companies.

This comes from a guy who works in a company with roughly 350,000 employees globally and an IT staff of 4500 (of which I am one). Yes, we would do it differently, but that's only because we have the resources.

Heck, I'm happy they have a forum at all!  Thanks @chonk !
  • I'm an IT guy, too. And even with the small companies I've worked with, backing up things like the forums were a priority.

Wonder if TT has an IT opening now? :)
  • I'm using every spam plug in available.
    Unfortunately Vanilla forums is a bit lax in that department.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Considering that their Marketing Director is doing his own IT work to maintain the forums . . . I don't think TT has an "IT" person.

I'd volunteer my services, but I'm an AntiMalware guy at the OS level. 90% of my work involves wrangling vendors, the other 10% is writing low-level OS cleaning solutions for those problems that get through and crap up an important system. @Elrique64, how about you?
  • Network design and infrastructure. Some desktop work. and media streaming solutions. Plex is one of my biggest things now.
  • Oooo, now I know who to talk to about all my IP/netmask to CIDR work!  hehehe :-)
  •   No, I don't do unfamiliar links, though I do have a sandbox. Have a degree in networking, and extensive computer background. Haven't had a critter to play with in ages, although I have a CD full of them in the archives.
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID