Fireside Chat With Chonk

Comments

• edited May 2017
    I have no idea. :D Think they are Army. Know a lot of youths join the Air National Guard or National Guard. Almost did that myself till I heard about Army Bootcamp vs. flat feet.

Think it's its own branch?
    https://www.nationalguard.com/

¬ ITL
  • edited May 2017
    Might have to find me a wildland firefighter flag. That was a blast to do in my 30's fighting wildland & forest fires.
    424731_425164244209734_213939241_n.jpg?oh=b2f4f4786278ceb925dd0da6b1f14060&oe=59A6B724

Yup, think firefighters might need their recognition flag too. :D /GDR

¬ ITL
  • Think Air National Guard (National Guard) is an offshoot much like the Coast Guard. Some are reservists too so they still do civilian work yet go back in every so often.

¬ ITL
  • edited May 2017
    Nation Guard is a branch of military that serves under the governor of the state they serve in. Once called active they fall under the regular military command. The reserves are not under the governor.
    Think the flags available are enough.
  • Would a Veterans of Foreign Wars or American Legion membership card suffice? (You have to have served in time of conflict for the American Legion, and have to have served in theater of conflict for Veterans of Foreign Wars. These are nearly impossible to fake as the cards are only issued after properly verifying the DD-214.)

FYI the US Coast Guard is considered one of the 5 services. And as of the last few years, the Merchant Marine is now being considered as a Military Service in terms of benefits, as well. The US Marine Corps is the off-shoot. They are the Navy's foot soldiers. (Just don't tell a Marine that!) :)

I sent an "inquiry" to VFW national asking them to forward this discount on to the members, either in the VFW magazine, snail or email. And @chonk I gave them your email to get more information on this program. I hope that someone from the VFW contacts you about this excellent program. And I also hope they will want you to advertise in our magazine.

I don't think information like this should be cubby-holed. This needs to get out there. Many of my Brothers and Sisters could use these products to extend their lives, or just enjoy what this country has to offer them by riding. As a card carrying, hat wearing VFW member, I'm proud to see a company I believe in following their words up with honest action.

A heart felt thank you to TerraTrike, to @chonk and to everyone supporting this.
  • I've already had the whole "did 10 years, 2 wars, didn't stay for 20 and 'retirement' " conversation. Just have your DD-214. I know I'll have mine when I replace my Rover when I hit 250 pounds.
    I can hardly wait to see if TT replaces the Tour lineup with another low bent touring trike. I'd much rather spend my money here in Michigan than give it to the Germans for a Scorpion FS 20.
    Yes, suspension would be nice but I know that it isn't TT's gig. I can live without it. I do without it now already, right?
  • edited May 2017
    Unfortunately the DD-214 also shows your SSAN in which you need to safeguard.

¬ ITL
  • Can you get it reprinted the DD-214 without the SSN? Most of my government retirement documents only show the last four. They finally wised up.
  • white out on a copy solves that problem
  • Yeah all we need is to verify you are or were in the military
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • edited May 2017
    Want a good deal on flags and US Postal shipping. :)
    Thinking Jolly Roger & USAF. People keep thanking me for my service when I'm on the trike, or back up off the sidewalk and salute me. Dunno why, but I grin and wave, or tip the Da Brim in passing.

Toured perty much the main and back streets of Ontario this morning, after meeting with Roger and his buddies at Denny's. Did a rather large loop and still only managed 14.4 miles.
    The seat's end was poking the back end of my thighs, so scooted forward more the last few miles towards home. If wasn't for that one issue would probably of rode more, like the back end of Payette and back home.

Was a nice day today. Was in 6th and 7th a lot more too. :D Have been in 8th though that's a sturdy 14MPH gear. What am I gonna do if I'm into 8th and want to go faster? ;) Patterson??

PS: Went across the Snake River bridge in 3rd today, non-stop. Last time did it in 2nd.

¬ ITL
  • edited June 2017
    So, Mr @chonk, out of curiousity...

TT's Branch of Service flags: Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy have the branches spelled out.
    Then there is USAF. Why not "Air Force" instead? Bored-1.gif

¬ ITL
  • Or "Chair Force" >:)
  • So, Mr @chonk, out of curiousity...

TT's Branch of Service flags: Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy have the branches spelled out.
    Then there is USAF. Why not "Air Force" instead? Bored-1.gif

Flag Real Estate
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Yeah, like the Marines are a branch of the Navy, but don't tell them that!
  • Found some double-sided motorcycle flags that were a tad bigger than TT's. Have a new USA & New Style Air Force flag on. Slipped the TT Don't Tread on Me flag below the US flag.
    There is imbalance ... there is no TT flag to put on the other side to even things out.

On another note, while riding the flats of the Weiser River Trail I had some up with an idea for a seat cam.
    When the seat gets raised up the seat-to-pedal comfort shortens. When laying the seat back the seat-to-pedal comfort lengthens.
    Design a cam to go in the center seat mount to help alleviate the comfort changes. When the seat gets raised, the cam shifts the seat back. When the seat gets laid back, the cam moves the seat forward. This way once a person adjusts their seat-to-pedal comfort zone the cam will adjust any changes from there on.

Happened that the right end post of the seat was jabbing the back of my thigh. Earlier on with the bumps that poking became rather annoying. Before hitting the flats I was trying to move my right thing inward of the tube end, which did not help.
    Ended up sliding more forward though I did not bring a half inch wrench along to remove the two U bolts so I could adjust the seat, and the right knee started to complain. /shrug
    Just bared the discomfort, and rode onward.

Cannot justify the expense of a wider seat. Read that the wider seat only moves the bars out an inch to either side. Unsure of that would be enough, or would be moving the pressure to another part of the thighs.

Sitting up made the thigh poking less aggressive, though think I ride better laid back at 2 notches at the end as opposed to 3. An adjustment cam would of been worth its weight in gold if I had one at the time.

Will have to see about a thick seat cushion to rise the seat area above the seat ends. The wedge doesn't help there.

¬ ITL
  • @IdahoTrailLizard, Ventisit comfort cushion could be the ticket... (https://www.ventisit.nl/en/#!/78x42-cm-Terratrike-Anthrotech/p/29453357)

The comfort level is, among other things, determined by the thickness of the Ventisit pad and the surface under it. The comfort version has a bit more cushioning (what they call suspension) than the classic version and there is a larger air layer running between your back and the seat which can really keep you cool in the summer or when working up a sweat. The Ventisit seat pad features a very open mesh cover with a thick foam pad for added comfort. The non-slip grip allows you to simply lay it on your seat without fear of sliding around. The "comfort" version is nearly an inch and a quarter thick! And the classic version is no slouch at nearlly 7/8" thick. I have been told that a Ventisit seat cushion and Schwalbe Big Apple tires (filled to ~60%) on a Rover, is almost like having suspension!?! I suspect the size made for TerraTrike seats would be fine, but you might consider an oversized one to fit over top of the TT seat frame. They cost ~ $100-$120 and both Hostel Shoppe and Utah Trikes carry them, among others.
  • Any updates about Ride Fest.  With just a little over a month away figure there would be more information on it than just a date.  I am planning on heading up there that weekend but I would like to see some more info so I can plan my weekend better. 
  • @chonk Any plans of a large persons AT vehicle with FAT tires? Or a TerraTrike Trailer with 20 inch wheels?

¬ ITL
  • edited June 2017
    Oh, and @chonk, liking those new added packs. LOTS to choose from now.
    Going to have to save up for the Stowaway & Versa Bag now.
    TT600345-7T.jpg
    http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600345.htm

Is the Low Rider Rack required for the Stowaway Bag on a Rover?
    TT600361-4T.jpg
    http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600361.htm

This is such an awesome extension people have been wanting on their trikes, and much classier. I'm going to need to find me a 3rd job now.

¬ ITL
  • very stable, pop-off 20-inch wheels, hang on a wall when not in use, easily rebuilt.
    http://www.wicycle.com/index.php/products/cargo-trailers/wike-heavy-duty-flatbed-bike-trailer/
  • @jamesr I think I would like to see it with dual-sided mounts to the rear wheel, rather than single sided.
  • @chonk Any plans of a large persons AT vehicle with FAT tires? Or a TerraTrike Trailer with 20 inch wheels?

I hope to get the signup posted next week
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited June 2017
    Imagining putting a Rechargeable LED Road Flare on each side of the Low Rider Frame. Bet that would really be catchy for side lighting.

Already get people driving by when I have the blue one up front on the cross member. People say it looks like "Batman" lights. (www.superbrightleds.com)
    rechargeable-led-road-flares.jpg
    So far no Police or Sheriff have pulled me over having it on. Was a couple of times they stopped or drove by slow.

¬ ITL
  • edited June 2017
    @chonk - does the Low Rider Rack sit up higher on the Rover? Wondering if speed bumps and/or speed dips would cause scraping on the Low Rider Rack.

And, how rigid is the 'flooring' of the Stowaway Bag? Wondering if adding an acrylic or aluminum base would provide better stability as the rack doesn't appear, from the lack of proper photos, to have much width in comparison to the bag.

Wished was a local dealer in or around Boise, Idaho that had these coming in to compare.

There are times with I want to carry something that is flat, like Chinese take-out in a styrofoam container with lid, or say something like a large pizza (don't do that but once every 3 months), a pie, or if a relative or friend wants to send me home with food items, or taking something home from church pot-luck.
    Panniers would squish stuff together, or have to load in vertically which stuff would run everywhere. So there is really no way to pack-carry Chinese or Thai take-out, ride to the park for lunch or dinner, or to take something home.
    The center part of the Stowaway Bag looks like it could be of use for such take-out.

The outer compartments would be good to carry a lightweight jacket & pants in, extra bungee cords. Don't think I could safely get a concert Ukulele in there, and definitely not a didgeridoo. Would have to succumb getting a plastic (blek) Didjeribone to carry, as a 5 foot bloodwood eucalyptus didge won't fit without some of overhead rack. :neutral:
    Although... could rig up something to fit between the crossmember to the Low Rider Rack if I went with a lighter weight didge. Heck, could carry a fishing pole that way too perhaps.

¬ ITL
  • @chonk - does the Low Rider Rack sit up higher on the Rover? Wondering if speed bumps and/or speed dips would cause scraping on the Low Rider Rack.

It will sit higher just because the Rover itself sits higher. It will mount in the same position as it does on the other trikes. You should have no issues with the rack hitting the ground, however, depending on the bag you attach there could be some clearance issues. Obviously an Adventure Pannier on the low rider would probably hang down enough to drag on the ground. YMMV.
    And, how rigid is the 'flooring' of the Stowaway Bag? Wondering if adding an acrylic or aluminum base would provide better stability as the rack doesn't appear, from the lack of proper photos, to have much width in comparison to the bag.

It's pretty rigid - much like a camera bag. Unless you are putting REALLY heavy things in there I'm sure there will be no issues with "sag" there as well. It would be very easy to put a reinforced bottom inside if you wanted as the bag is completely open all the way through once you take the velcro dividers out.
    Wished was a local dealer in or around Boise, Idaho that had these coming in to compare.

We have a dealer in Boise:
    Georges Cycles
    5515 W State St.
    Boise, ID
    208-343-3782
    http://georgescycles.com/

Contact them to get one in to try - actually they might have one on order already.
    There are times with I want to carry something that is flat, like Chinese take-out in a styrofoam container with lid, or say something like a large pizza (don't do that but once every 3 months), a pie, or if a relative or friend wants to send me home with food items, or taking something home from church pot-luck.
    Panniers would squish stuff together, or have to load in vertically which stuff would run everywhere. So there is really no way to pack-carry Chinese or Thai take-out, ride to the park for lunch or dinner, or to take something home.
    The center part of the Stowaway Bag looks like it could be of use for such take-out.

I'm not sure you'd get a pizza box in there but I like your thinking ;).
    I actually saw a guy that had several pizza boxes bungied to the top of a rack once.
    The outer compartments would be good to carry a lightweight jacket & pants in, extra bungee cords. Don't think I could safely get a concert Ukulele in there, and definitely not a didgeridoo. Would have to succumb getting a plastic (blek) Didjeribone to carry, as a 5 foot bloodwood eucalyptus didge won't fit without some of overhead rack. :neutral:
    Although... could rig up something to fit between the crossmember to the Low Rider Rack if I went with a lighter weight didge. Heck, could carry a fishing pole that way too perhaps.

You might be able to get a uke in there, but I might suggest the Expedition Pannier. With it's zippered extensions opened, it'll easily fit a tent, beach chair, fishing rod etc.

I suspect you'll see these in dealers shortly. They are slowly being shipped with orders .

We'll also have them all at RiderFest this year too. You could always make a trip to come see them and us!
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited June 2017
    I have a question about the new Low Rider Rack and where it mounts on the Rover. (With the rover hardware.) The Rover's rear frame has the square tubing that then has the two chainstays welded on it. Just in front of this is one of the bolts for tightening the boom up to the rear of the frame.

Does the hardware fit in this space between the boom bolt and the chainstays?

If so, I might need to do a little reworking on how to mount it. My Bafang BBS02 has it's BB in this spot. I can't move this forward without risking cutting the seat mesh straps with the motor's chain ring. So I would need to put the hardware further forward, then make some sort of extension to allow the rack to sit in its normal position.

That's not going to stop me from ordering one, though... I like the idea immensely. And will be putting at least one battery pack on the left side when I get it mounted and ready... :)
  • @chonk Any photos available to show the Low Rider Rack on a Rover?

¬ ITL
  • @chonk Any photos available to show the Low Rider Rack on a Rover?

Not yet but I'll see what I can do.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• It appears that only the Rover attachment kit is available to pre-order. The Stowaway Bag and Low Rider Rack say out of stock - which am guessing it means TT has sold out of all those that are incoming.

¬ ITL