Fireside Chat With Chonk

Comments

• That is a great new storage solution.
  • edited June 2017
    Yes, the Lowrider rack is especially nice for those heavy batteries for those of us with electric assist motors... low and centered - perfect!
  • After getting the Seats where we wanted Them on Our Rover Tandem after several Trips and Miles, I simply added a #12 screw to the lower brackets and frame...no sliding, and easy to remove...We have really enjoyed Our Rover Tandem on several Tennessee Greenways, and Cades Cove and Tremont in the Smoky Mountains.....10079aewhtwg.jpg
  • @chonk : What material are the Low Rider attachment hardware made from? Looks like possible metal supports and nylon clamps.

Wonder what time the items will be arriving. ;)

¬ ITL
  • The fit kits are aluminum and nylon parts. Won't rust or corrode.
    The container with those were stuck in customs in Chicago but we just got the call that they'll be here tomorrow (Friday).
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Was trying to remember how to find one's "wish list" but was unable to find a link.
    Seems that by adding to the wishlist brought forth the mysterious wishlist.

Am assuming the Stowaway Bag requires the Low Rider Rack too?

¬ ITL
  • Am assuming the Stowaway Bag requires the Low Rider Rack too?

It does.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited June 2017
    Hmm, edited a word, replace it with two others to make it sound correct, that the post vanishes and says it has to await for approval - which means it's been tossed in the electronic waste basket.

Nevermind, made a new topic and it posted... was trying to keep topic subjects "together" as @Florida_bound had mentioned shoulder pain too. Guess am still searching for that magical sweet spot? http://www.terratrike.com/ttforum/discussion/3859/wider-seat-or-something-else?new=1
    chonk wrote: »
    Am assuming the Stowaway Bag requires the Low Rider Rack too?
    It does.

Thank you. Was going to try adding a plastic runner from the crossbar to the back of the Rover. Unsure how far to stick out in the rear. Then use an elastic bungee cord system to hold down the contents. Might be a good way to hold "take out" Thai/Chinese food, as there is Jimbo's Restaurant in Payette that I like to take home or eat at the local park. Last night takeout did not survive the trip home, all that delicious spicy gravy leaked everywhere. :Q

¬ ITL
  • @chonk Any photos available to show the Low Rider Rack on a Rover?

Here ya go.
    11v1ge8y6vrw.jpg
    5890l7t4zyxh.jpg
    3ikfwrgqh70e.jpg

Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited June 2017
    @chonk Any photos available to show the Low Rider Rack on a Rover?
    Here ya go.

Ahh, that explains more things! Have placed an order for the rack w/ Rover kit.
    That rack looks a lot bigger & beefier on the Rover. :) Thank you, @chonk

Hmm... liking the new IGH. Is there a kit to upgrade to that for those of us with SA IGHs?
    (Shifter+IGH+20" Wheel combo)

¬ ITL
  • Any speculation on this week's TT announcement? Quad runner? Sidecar?

¬ ITL
  • $300 for a nexus-8 wheel. if you are running out of gears with the sturmey, same money better spent on a patterson crankset. you wont be losing momentum with a sturmey if you select a higher shift point - kinda like double-clutching a non-synchronous auto transmission. about 20 mph with the sturmey-patterson combo if you can turn the cranks at 60 rpm. just swapping out the sturmey for a nexus-8 will get you up to 11 mph at 60 rpm.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    $300 for a nexus-8 wheel. if you are running out of gears with the sturmey, same money better spent on a patterson crankset. you wont be losing momentum with a sturmey if you select a higher shift point - kinda like double-clutching a non-synchronous auto transmission. about 20 mph with the sturmey-patterson combo if you can turn the cranks at 60 rpm. just swapping out the sturmey for a nexus-8 will get you up to 11 mph at 60 rpm.

Ahh. Thanks. :)

¬ ITL
  • Guess there is no way to check status of an order, online? @chonk

¬ ITL
  • @JamesR, What would be the total gear inches if simply adding a Patterson, and what might be a typical shifting pattern when leaving a long flat stretch of trail and having to climb a bridge requiring shifting into lowest gear upon reaching the top?

Having answers to these questions would be very helpful to me and probably others. Thanks in advance! :)
  • sturmey + patterson shifts the range from 25-80 to 21-109 gear inches. if comfortable climbing at 25 g.i., going to a 32-tooth patterson yields a range of 24-123 g.i. wish i had the knees for it - rover+sturmey+patterson makes for a fast mover.

if wanting to work your way up towards top end in small increments would top out gear 7 then shift patterson to the big ring and sturmey to gear 4. technique depends on rider variables - . i need to go by knee strain. on a flatland froggy day, might pedal to 70-80 rpm, pause a moment, shift up 2 gears and resume at 60 rpm. different direction with hill climbs - sometimes forget being decrepit, catch myself in 4th gear and slowing at which point i pause a moment and drop down 2 gears and spin. seems to work best for me whether 7 or 8 speed with either derailleur or igh hub.

havent tried a patterson with a sturmey. did ride a sturmey with 22-teeth up front for awhile until i figured out nexus made the local slopes behave much nicer. a patterson compensated nicely for the nexus high-end reduction. along the way, el cheapo discovered a 3-speed sturmey was not the best choice in trike gearing, probably a sign of senility trying that - way back, 3-speed was the envy of all.
  • Guess there is no way to check status of an order, online? @chonk

Unfortunately no. It's a limitation of our accounting software ("SlowBooks" AKA QuickBooks) and our website shopping cart. We are hopefully going to remedy that with our new website in the fall.

You can always call us and we'll check your order.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• @Jamesr even 21 GI is too high for me. I find myself really needing the granny gear I get from my 22T up front with the SA in back. I think that's in the neighborhood of 15GI on the bottom. :D

On the high end, with the front switched to 44T and the SA in 8th and doing about 70 rpm, I'm flying! B)
  • edited June 2017
    Guess there is no way to check status of an order, online? @chonk

Unfortunately no. It's a limitation of our accounting software ("SlowBooks" AKA QuickBooks) and our website shopping cart. We are hopefully going to remedy that with our new website in the fall.

You can always call us and we'll check your order.

Seen the order shipped today. No worries. Awesome staff you have there! :)
    The original order (rack) was amended yesterday (headrest). Saw confirmation today. Online conformation only showed original, not amended. Called and was assured both items are on their way out. - Appears that orders go out before noon. -

¬ ITL
  • New product to debut in 20 minutes, yes? :D @chonk

¬ ITL
  • edited June 2017
    I'm stuck in a staff meeting. What was it? Whoops, lemme check the product list . . .
  • Dude! I WANT ONE. PLUS an extra battery so I can go beyond 60 miles!
  • edited June 2017
    I asked. they did state an extra battery can be installed on the other side. Was having video issues on my end, no surprise there, so my comments were delayed. :\

No comment seen if a headlamp/tail0lights can be run from the battery. Asked about a solar panel input for long/tour riders. TT said was a good idea and they would look into it.

@chonk said the motor can recharge the batteries when going down hills, has a coast mode to help you get going/change gears, and has a reverse!

82fzp08pl0ou.jpg

If these were on Rovers can you imagine the extra sales on that, especially for disabled or riders with limited pedaling capacities? Of course this is not an add-on, but having a local warranty would be a good thing.
    5 year warranty on the electricals, unknown if battery is warrantied that long.

Edit: There's already a review posted: https://www.treehugger.com/bikes/terratrike-adds-750w-electric-assist-its-rambler-recumbent-trike.html

¬ ITL
  • edited June 2017
    So I'm in the middle of updating our site with the new EVO info, but let me answer a couple quick questions.

Yes you can easily hang another battery on the other side. Technically you could prolly get 4-5 batteries if you used our regular rack as well - but really?

The regenerative mode is something you will need the optional console in order to turn on. Those should be available around the same time as the trikes arrive but I haven't all the information from Falco yet to put on our website - it'll come soon. But yes, it will allow you to re-charge the battery as you coast down a hill. It does create a little drag when doing it so it's not something you'll want to leave on while riding. Thats why the console (or Plus minus switch) will be nice as you can turn it on and off as you go.

The solar powered idea and an optional USB port to charge your phone, accessories is in the works through Falco.

Also as I eluded, there may be a time soon where you will be able to buy the kit to retrofit other trikes, however, that will be a little ways down the road.

I gotta tell you I'm really excited about this trike. It is VERY intuitive in its operation. It "senses" when you need help and just kicks in smoothly and effectively. You really fee like your bionic (or Bionx - sorry too easy) when riding this.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited June 2017
    Anyone notice that the trike menu from the forums is different than from other access points?uap5qllrlubs.jpg
    -vs-
    spn52wfpq0kd.jpg

¬ ITL
  • @chonk
    Last July my wife and I each bought a Sportster in the x30 configuration.  As of this date, I have roughly 600 miles on mine and my wife is at 450 on hers. We have been riding trails in both peninsulas of Michigan as well as two trips to Georgia last winter.  We also purchased the Cycleops Hammer smart trainer for each of us and did several hundred miles of virtual riding in our basement gym through the winter.  All in all, we both are thrilled with our Sportsters.  I am curious regarding the reason that the x30 configuration is no longer available.  Can you shed some light on that decision for us?
  • Anyone notice that the trike menu from the forums is different than from other access points?uap5qllrlubs.jpg
    -vs-
    spn52wfpq0kd.jpg

Yeah I need to fix that
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• edited June 2017
    Anyone notice that the trike menu from the forums is different than from other access points?

Yeah I need to fix that

I see that! :) Thanks, from all of us.

¬ ITL
  • Fixed ;)
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• Why no TerraTrike t-shirts?

Only seems to be caps, fashion buttons, keychain, and those weird OSFA socks. BTW, when one wears a size 13/14 shoe, a OSFA sock won't.

Wouldn't mind a cap if it was a breathable type.

¬ ITL