Fireside Chat With Chonk

Comments

• There are t-shirts for RiderFest participants!
  • Agreed. We need mesh hats and mesh shirts (or sweat evaporating shirts)
  • edited June 2017
    Some of us have jobs and/or cannot afford the trip. And some of us fall into both categories. ;)
  • Why no TerraTrike t-shirts?

Too hard to keep 6 different sizes, male & female cuts, 3 different colors all in stock.
    We are looking to possibly do a "Print to order" option that would allow us to not stock them but still sell them. Probably in the Fall.

HOWEVER, we are printing shirts for RiderFest! But you have to attend to get one of those ;)
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • grrrrrr . . . I guess maybe I could go to Grand Rapids and the wife and daughter could do Lansing . . .
  • edited July 2017
    @chonk Why isn't this new mesh cover not on the website for ordering purposes? Is it an Area 51 Classified release item?

Debating... Stowaway Bag or Newer Mesh Cover? Already getting the hot seat, yet also wanting to move the pack gear down lower for better weight distribution.

kfssra16l13u.jpg

Rover's gotten heavier with the Low Rider Rack and Headrest on too. ;)
  • @IdahoTrailLizard - your pardon, sir, but the altitude of your cargo rack is frightening. for a seat all the way back on a 20-inch wheel https://sep.yimg.com/ay/nycewheels/tern-bicycles-cargo-rack-rear-6.jpg
  • Yup, it's UP there! When I bought Rover, the La Grande bike shop said that TT charged way too much for their accessories, said the Bontrager was as good if not better. And I took them at their word, amongst other things. ~ Cest la vie

Was expecting more from a TerraTrike Dealer. After all, people go to dealers expecting trikes to be properly setup, maintained, get good advice on accessories, & leave with a happy, joyful experience - right?

It's a good rack, for a 26" wheel!
  • edited July 2017
    Yup, it's UP there! When I bought Rover, the La Grande bike shop said that TT charged way too much for their accessories, said the Bontrager was as good if not better. And I took them at their word, amongst other things. ~ Cest la vie

Was expecting more from a TerraTrike Dealer. After all, people go to dealers expecting trikes to be properly setup, maintained, get good advice on accessories, & leave with a happy, joyful experience - right?

It's a good rack, for a 26" wheel!

eq8luw38rayb.jpg
  • How a Bontrager rack looks with a 26" rear wheel. Even on a 20" rear wheel you should only have a 3" gap, it looks much greater on your trike.
  • edited July 2017
    Rack didn't come installed. There is no height adjustment on the cargo rack.
    Bike shop was a 6 hour drive (round trip). No plans on doing business with them again either.
  • IDLizard, check my rack on my Rover (the thumbnail...), you'll see the difference!
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    @Jamesr even 21 GI is too high for me. I find myself really needing the granny gear I get from my 22T up front with the SA in back. I think that's in the neighborhood of 15GI on the bottom. :D

On the high end, with the front switched to 44T and the SA in 8th and doing about 70 rpm, I'm flying! B)

What did you use to get a 22T up front on a Rover?
  • I know. Seen them. They look nice.
    However it makes no sense to spend $70 on a replacement, even if it is lower unless it serves "a particular purpose". As have done since invested in the Low Rider Rack. Will eventually get the Stowaway Pack to go in there eliminating the need for the rack pack, save maybe carrying food and sunscreen.
  • @Captainbob -

a pretty one with chainguard: http://www.trailcraftcycles.com/compontents/elevated-cranks [its actually a lasco 152mm]

browse mtb cranksets for the smaller rings.
  • @Captainbob there's a lot of threads about putting rings up front on a Rover. Start with a search on "Rover front post". :-). Bit if you only want one ring, and the 32 it comes with isn't right for you, just buy a crankset with a single ring in the size you want.
  • @Captainbob : Of those rings, e-derailleurs, crank sets, or whatever, good luck in getting them to post the actual item they bought or tried, or even the model. Most you'll get is a company link, with a full page of stuff. Occasionally a photo.

Oh, and watch the wheel positioning in photos. You'll be wondering who let the dogs out should a wheel be off on perspective due to parallax or poor lens. /shakes head

You'll post one thing, let's say a subject on a chain tube. Next thing you know the post is about some obscure thing someone seen in a photo or a contrary point of view, and yeah, we're doing that over here cause this is Chonk's Corner, not general chit-chat.

Welcome back!
  • 12718-JarodDOE-LogoAlienwareBlue.png Back to question before common derailment ~

@chonk Why isn't this New Rambler Mesh Cover not on the website for ordering purposes? Is it an Area 51 Classified release item?
  • OK @Captainbob, if you want what I have, THIS derailleur at jensonusa.com should do the trick.
  • regarding comments on that elitist website concerning the rambler evo, i think its more a case of the europeans showing up at the dance early.

part of their problem is the locked in the box tour de france syndrome: if the frame doesnt start north of $5,000 it cant be worthwhile hanging on another $5,000 in carbon wheels, cranksets, etc.

they ignore the reality that a $9,000 hp scorpion fs folder pedelec will be left in the dust by a humble rambler evo. i think terratrike got it right again.

one of the things those folks overlook is the combo balanced battery tray low-rider cargo rack suggesting the hi-priced guys got a bit of catch-up to do. and even on this side of the pond, $2500 for a bionx setup alone facing an electrified rambler at $3,000 suggests it aint terratrike going to lose its customer base.

quite impressed with terra trike progress and appropriate, my humble, to say that like the rover, the evo is going to revolutionize the recumbent marketplace.
  • edited July 2017
    JamesR wrote: »
    regarding comments on that elitist website concerning the rambler evo, i think its more a case of the europeans showing up at the dance early.

part of their problem is the locked in the box tour de france syndrome: if the frame doesnt start north of $5,000 it cant be worthwhile hanging on another $5,000 in carbon wheels, cranksets, etc.

they ignore the reality that a $9,000 hp scorpion fs folder pedelec will be left in the dust by a humble rambler evo. i think terratrike got it right again.

one of the things those folks overlook is the combo balanced battery tray low-rider cargo rack suggesting the hi-priced guys got a bit of catch-up to do. and even on this side of the pond, $2500 for a bionx setup alone facing an electrified rambler at $3,000 suggests it aint terratrike going to lose its customer base.

quite impressed with terra trike progress and appropriate, my humble, to say that like the rover, the evo is going to revolutionize the recumbent marketplace.

I have to agree that there always is an elitist attitude placing stuff from Europe over the others but didn't Japan show Europe how to build better for less ? and now Korea has also raised the bar.

What is helping the recumbent business is all the baby boomers that want to maintain a level of physical fitness.
  • stpd wrote: »
    IDLizard, check my rack on my Rover (the thumbnail...), you'll see the difference!

Can we get a bigger and/or closer picture of your rack?
  • Copy and paste the image onto a blank word doc and then enlarge.
  • YamiYuki wrote: »
    stpd wrote: »
    IDLizard, check my rack on my Rover (the thumbnail...), you'll see the difference!

Can we get a bigger and/or closer picture of your rack?

This has a few decent perspective photos (minus hanging straps)
    http://www.utahtrikes.com/RECENTTRIKE-TerraTrike_Rover_Bumblebee.html
  • 12718-JarodDOE-LogoAlienwareBlue.png Back to question before common derailment ~

@chonk Why isn't this New Rambler Mesh Cover not on the website for ordering purposes? Is it an Area 51 Classified release item?

I spoke with someone at TT, and they said you can order it at any Terratrike dealer or from Terratrike directly.
  • I've just been too busy to put it on there (and "out of sight - out of mind").
    I will try to get it on the site soon.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• I also applaud that you guys "get it" when it comes to the EVO.
    I'm not here to argue the benefits of an e-assist trike or whether we are "revolutionary" or not with it. I feel we are.

We understand our customer very well, and most just want a little help with those big hills or some added assist with longer rides. We also know that most people are intimidated with complexity. That is the beauty of the EVO - Just get on it and ride.

Plus, as I've stated over and over, this is a PURPOSE BUILT trike. All the other systems are just diamond frame systems ADAPTED to trikes. This is done without the consideration of stability of battery mounting, the unique torques that trikes pose, 20" tires, frame geometry, etc.

We spent over a year just refining the algorithm for the Falco system to be smooth, and operate seamlessly and appropriately for our trike. Even Falco said that recumbent trikes are a different beast when it comes to e-assist.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding right? We are now close to 200% oversold on the EVO's and our dealers are ECSTATIC about them. They are tired of trying to retrofit existing systems and all the problems that incurs as well as customer satisfaction because they don't perform as they should.

And if anything, we are revolutionary in the price point.

Plus, this is just the start of great things to come ;)
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• chonk wrote: »
    I also applaud that you guys "get it" when it comes to the EVO.
    I'm not here to argue the benefits of an e-assist trike or whether we are "revolutionary" or not with it. I feel we are.

We understand our customer very well, and most just want a little help with those big hills or some added assist with longer rides. We also know that most people are intimidated with complexity. That is the beauty of the EVO - Just get on it and ride.

Plus, as I've stated over and over, this is a PURPOSE BUILT trike. All the other systems are just diamond frame systems ADAPTED to trikes. This is done without the consideration of stability of battery mounting, the unique torques that trikes pose, 20" tires, frame geometry, etc.

We spent over a year just refining the algorithm for the Falco system to be smooth, and operate seamlessly and appropriately for our trike. Even Falco said that recumbent trikes are a different beast when it comes to e-assist.

Ultimately the proof is in the pudding right? We are now close to 200% oversold on the EVO's and our dealers are ECSTATIC about them. They are tired of trying to retrofit existing systems and all the problems that incurs as well as customer satisfaction because they don't perform as they should.

And if anything, we are revolutionary in the price point.

Plus, this is just the start of great things to come ;)

Exactly, most riders that want an E trike want plug and play. Ride it and charge the battery, they're not electronics geeks.
  • +1 on plug and play. for all the various considers of diy electrifying, excellent article at http://midislandtrikeadventures.weebly.com/electric-trikes.html

if you have followed various posts on this forum about adding electric assist to your favorite terratrike its easy to conclude doing such is a learning experience.

terratrike has, once again, caught the industry napping with the intoduction of a purpose-built assisted trike. having had electric wheels on both rover and rambler, several deltas, and a misguided effort of a powered wheel on a bob trailer, we shall [assuming i can get the cat to ride with me] be ordering a rambler evo for greeting the new year properly.

shall have a rover all-terrain up for sale shortly to aid in evo acquisition.
  • edited July 2017
    Weiser River trail's board of directors opened discussion on e-assisted bikes, and of course I threw input and examples of an e-assisted trike.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/weiserrivertrail/?ref=group_header

Unfortunately I don't have access to such e-assisted trike/bike to prove a point that one could actually ride up the trail, and then back. I'm not sure if it could be done, but I opened up the possibility since trying to find shuttle service isn't always easy or affordable.