Alignment... never assume!

edited May 15 in Rover
Okay, so I got more serious on this issue when the inevitable happened...
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/CyberneticRanger/TerraTrike Rover i8/Oops/DSC01675_zpskpxap65b.jpg - Mountain Works Bicycles had this set at 1/2+ inch toe out.

This tire needs replaced, no tread for a 12~ inch section. Is what I get for assuming and using a flimsy tape measure. This tire only had 115 miles on it, and now it is bald in one section. /sigh

What I did was to find some sure fire method to get a firm, yet accurate measurement. Tape measure wasn't being cooperative. Too flimsy and not working on level ground. So I used a fiberglass rod from a cheap broken flagpole & a pencil.

Set the rod at lateral midpoint: inside rim of opposite wheel -> to the other wheel. Measured at the center ^ midpoint of rim. Made a pencil mark.
Repeated the same lateral midpoint for back measurement. Back and forth till both measurements were right on. Put some blue Loctite on the threads, finger tightened both ends. Then used a wrench on direct steering rod at the flats section, and another on bolts to firmly tighten. Rechecked alignment, looked good. ;)

Finally used the tape measure from middle of one tire to the next. Is at 29 7/8 inches on the Road Cruiser tires, front and back, as a triple check.

Will probably upgrade to Marathon Plus tires even though was hoping I could wait. C'est la vie.

¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID

Comments

• I have found the tape measure is not a bad tool for alignment if you have a decent 25 footer that is stiff; hook a spoke and measure spoke to spoke front and back. Of course pay attention to the spokes you use as they alternate side to side.
  • Tried that initially. Resorted to the fiberglass rod instead. :)
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • edited May 16

Tape measure is one of those solutions that'll work fine, but you have to be really precise and deliberate in using it. Some of us like that kind of stuff. :) Others are more likely to prefer more straightforward solutions like rods and other tools.

- PaulNM

• Not sure what happened. Added a post, then edited a word. Entire thing vanished.
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • edited May 16
    Wished the forum had a kudos button as would give you both one.

Tape measure was misbehaving. Sent a text to Roger to see if he had a method, but he suggested a yardstick. And the one time I had use for it I could not find the thing. Then saw a fiberglass rod laying there.
    Initially I used the measurement in the Rover manual but they were not even close. Flipped the rod around and used pencil marks. Using the rim side was a TT's video suggestion. :)

Went down the RR grade at 18 MPH. Didn't feel squirrely, but did feel different. Most the flats I was at 14 MPH, yeah I was in 8th for the slight grade down and 7th on the flats. No winds were blowing.
    In town I slow down cause of the MANY sidewalk ramps for vehicles and the numerous obstacles I have to go around and over. Still was clipping along at 8 MPH in spots, both ways.

Went to A&W for a chipolte crunch burger and a root beer. Where I moves the water bottle cage to the post it held the drink in the perfect place. ;)

Had a nice ride home, though it was dark. The RR grade got me again. Guess I wore my energy levels down in 6th to 8th gears so had to stop a couple of times.
    Once over the grade I cruised the back roads in the new housing development. Nice and easy streets with no traffic. Got 7 miles on before I crossed the highway to home.

Notice the Rover turned easier and less resistance. Although I do feel that bald section on the left tire at times. Lesson learned though, never assume. And if one method doesn't work try something else.

¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID
  • I still think something else contributed to all that wear in one section of the tire. Almost like the tire is out of round. If you had a toe in or toe out condition the tire would wear around the inner or outer edge on the complete circumference not just one spot.
  • Like for 60% of the revolution it was square then it toed in that lil bit.
  • No idea. Was that way when I found it prepping for parade rides.
    ¬ Trikin' in Payette, ID