Wireless computers

Do wireless computers work on trikes? I'm not interested in GPS or using my phone as I ride in no service areas.

Comments

• Yes. They work fine. The only problem is setting it up initially so you don't block the signal with your body or framework. I've run one with the pickup on my rear wheel and the computer/receiver on my left hand grip. Has worked perfectly for three years now. It runs surprisingly close to the cell phone gps when I checked it a couple times.
  • edited June 2017
    I'm not really happy with my current one on the hand grip. Do they work on the pose at the cranks?
  • Have a Bell wireless (Apr 2016) that became redundant when I installed Bafang BBSO2 w 750C Colour display. But found the 750C has a few shortcomings. I tend to lose the ODO readings when I get playing around with it and no way I've found to re enter them simply resets to zero. The Bell however allows to enter ODO #s which is nice so can keep better idea of mileage. Short of handle real estate and had it mounted above the display, but found display when on interfered w wireless signal to Bell. Solution mounted it on the bottom of steering arm by kingpin. Works great and actually more visible under certain light/glare conditions than the 750C.
  • edited June 2017
    I use the display on my motor as well as my phone to figure my riding speeds and distances. The motor's display gives me a RT display of that info. The phone app (RideWithGPS) gives me an over-all. After the ride is over I import it to my rides and I can go back through them to see specifics, including grades, average speeds, best speeds, etc...

As the motor's display can't be "fine-tuned" for the tires and wheels (just get generic info, such as 20" or 26", etc...) RideWithGPS is generally more accurate. But it relies on accessing GPS sats... And trees and cloud cover can interfere with that... (Western Washington means I have to deal with both of these...) :)

Generally the two systems are pretty close. And that's good enough for me, at this point... :)
  • edited June 2017
    Wireless have too much LOS issues, and some higher intensity headlamps will interfere with the computer's signal.

I'd like to get a quality wired cycle-computer that has a thermometer built in. Cadence am not worried about; if I get whooped I stop pedaling or go to reservist or pull pedaling.
    Cateye used to have a solar powered cycle-computer but it seemed to fizzle away back in the 80's.

I've got a bomb-proof computer but don't have the bracket for it anymore, and it's been through a lot of moves.

nt2rfaovqyel.jpg
    Cateye ATC
  • Do your computers tell change in elevation? If so, how much do you see in a ride?

This feature was just added to my Apple Watch app. Living at sea level, I didn't expect much. However, the last ride was 45 feet. The hills kind of sneak up on you here.
  • RideWithGPS does this, but the real information shows up after you sync the ride and look at it on the computer. The grade of parts of the ride can be viewed then. RT you don't get grade, but you can get elevation changes.
  • Similar to Elrique64, I use my Bafang electric assist motor's computer (DPC-14) and a phone app (MapMyRide).
  • Do your computers tell change in elevation? If so, how much do you see in a ride?

This feature was just added to my Apple Watch app. Living at sea level, I didn't expect much. However, the last ride was 45 feet. The hills kind of sneak up on you here.

There are bike computers that show real time elevation, big with MTB crowd.
  • The MTB crowd rides real hills. They need to know elevation changes. I'm riding on 25 mph streets. It's good information to have. If I have major elevation changes and my average heart rate stays low, I'm getting in better shape.