Numb feet

I'm a new Terra trike rider and have a rover. I have found my feet get numb only after riding 1 mile. Any suggestions?

Comments

• May be your shoes, may be your health. I'd see a family doctor.
  • This is called "Hot Foot" in the upright biking community. Most of the time it's cleat placement on clipless pedals/shoes that resolve the problem. Here are some other possibilities:

It could be your foot placement on the pedals, try shortening the straps on the Comfort Pedals if you have them. (Probably one of the biggest culprits right here...)

It could be that the seat angle is putting pressure on your thighs which is reducing blood flow to your feet. Try a different angle on the seat. (Possible, but less likely than the first one.)

The boom might be adjusted a tad off. This forces your feet to a position that might not be the best for you. Numbing of the feet is an indication that you need to change something....

It could be that your circulation is rather poor, and you need to slowly work your way up to higher distances as a result. When your foot starts numbing up, time to walk around for a few minutes.

HTH
  • I am not sure if you are using Power Grips (diagonal pedal straps that keep your feet secured to pedals) or not, but I had the very experience you described with the original Power Grips. When I tried the XL (extra long) version the problem disappeared instantly! HTH
  • Seems to happen to me when pressing hard for a longer period of time, or when I don't get to cycle much and am putting on more miles than I should. Seems there are various things one can do of you use an internet search for "hot foot cycling".

Open the strings on your shoe fully, slide your foot in and gently bump your heel (inside the shoe) to get it firmly seated. Rest that shoe over the other sideways if needed, and lace up the shoe snugly - not tight, firm.
    Do that each time as your foot may be more swollen from one day to the next. Try different socks, as thinner put less pressure than thicker. Also try a different insole. If you wear orthotic insoles get a pair for your cycling shoes too.

Change position of your seat, like lay it back more. Also try sliding the seat back half an inch to see if there is less pain.

Check the alignment & tightness of cleats if you use those. Be sure the cleats keep your foot facing forward and are not on an angle. Most cycling shops recommended forward, though some here will toe there's in or out.
    Also pay attention to see if there are any knee joint strains.
  • Some shops recommend adjusting the cleats towards the heel 2 to 5 mm or go with a wider SPD-SL cleat to change the pressure on the foot to more surface area as opposed to one centered spot that can cause a hot spot.

Don't climb so much at first, and take your time getting around on your trike. That extra wheel on the front does make a difference. Take breaks, unclip/unstrap and stretch your legs and feet out in front of you, and do foot exercises. Go for a short walk. Try not to press on so hard/harsh.

If clipped in with SPD or SPD-SL try pulling back on the stroke too.

Also I find when this happens to pull back on the cleats when coasting. Think the hot spot issues goes away when riding every other day until one gets used to riding, and gradually increase distance.
  • (appears there is an invisible numerical count on characters for posts. Exceed that and the post vanishes or one will get a "your post needs approval" error message, then vanishes.) @chonk 's way of keeping some of us from being so windy I suppose. ;)
  • Can you adjust to put your insteps on the pedals? It doesn't happen as often when you pedal that way.

Make sure you have a sugar snack with you. My blood drops and I lose all feeling in my feet which makes it hard to keep them on the pedals.
  • I have my meter with me now on these
    14 mile quickies. I do stop to rest in between for water and check blood sugar. I don't feel it fall when sitting like I can walking. I carry glucose tablets.
  • Do they feel different after you stop? If not, the blood sugar isn't the problem.

How do you angle your feet. When my knees were very tight, I would straighten the ankles on the far section of the stroke and bend my ankles the most when the knees were nearest too me. I had to do that to make it through a stroke. Maybe keeping the feet in one position is blocking blood flow.

Of course, I have yet to go 14 miles in a day. Maybe your body is telling you to go shorter distances. For me 1.5 hours is enough. If I can faster, I go further.
  • At first, I really didn't think I could lose weight. The body is in kind of a dormant position compared to an upright. But low and behold, I am at 185 now. There's five gone. The longer rides paired with some fast sprints I think is doing it. Eggs and chicken as well. No manufactured foods. I've read
    Sugar is the enemy of men over 50. Read the label and see how far down
    sugar is on the list of ingredients. Wife
    texted me saying ice cream is $1.99.
    I told her to leave it there. Tastes good,
    but once it leaves the taste buds, what
    good is it for your body? Sermon is over, carry on...
  • FINN58 wrote: »
    At first, I really didn't think I could lose weight. The body is in kind of a dormant position compared to an upright. But low and behold, I am at 185 now. There's five gone. The longer rides paired with some fast sprints I think is doing it. Eggs and chicken as well. No manufactured foods. I've read
    Sugar is the enemy of men over 50. Read the label and see how far down
    sugar is on the list of ingredients. Wife
    texted me saying ice cream is $1.99.
    I told her to leave it there. Tastes good,
    but once it leaves the taste buds, what
    good is it for your body? Sermon is over, carry on...

Excellent post. Exercise and diet and amazing things happen.
  • ...And minimize or eliminate processed foods!
  • Some meats. Fruits. Veggies. Some dairy (eggs). The other aisles bypass
  • Water water water. There is a flavoring
    with Stevia in it. Strawberry kiwi is my
    favorite. The rest of the artificial sweeteners are just sugar renamed.
    Aspartame is/was made by Monsanto.
    Fertilizer is what comes to my mind when I think of that company.
  • And just to be clear, Stevia is a natural sweetner, not artificial. It is said to be between 30 and 200 times sweeter than sugar.
  • Natural yes. From leaves.
  • It's also refined. Honey is more pure than Stevia.
  • A spoon full of honey with natural cinnamon ground onto it - best health food in the world
  • Diabetics & those with sweetener issues swear by Agave. Not tried it myself. WinCo sells it on tap.
  • I will be 72 the end of this month, July. I learned one year ago that I am diabetic. Nice birthday present. Have been a very active outdoor person, hunting, fishing, biking, snow skiing, but was at 242#, 6' 2". Doc sent me, wife went along also, to dietary classes at local hospital, 12 hours over four sessions for diabetics. Following the dietary plans laid out, basically reduced carb, avoidance of certain foods, and consistent focused exercise, including trike riding, both actual and virtual through the winter months , I am now 207#. I feel better than I have in 30 years, and enjoy the trike rides more immensely than ever thought possible. I have another 17# to go to reach my goal of 190#. Another benefit, has been the tingly feet are now 90 reduced, basically a thing of the past. So, thank you Terra Trike for your part in my "rebirth." :-)
  • Great story. Thanks for sharing.
  • I forgot to mention that at the same time, one year ago, we come over from the "dark side," purchasing two Sportsters in the x30 configuration, got rid of all our bikes, and have never looked back. :-)
  • I've been diabetic for 20 years. Well controlled (diet, exercise, and pills) for the last 5 years, and best yet the year since I started trike riding! I would never choose agave over stevia, and know of no diabetic who would choose agave over stevia. If you want to try stevia, I recommend using the no-alcohol liquid versions as they tend to have little or no aftertaste.

Stevia has no calories AND it's a natural sweetener. Agave is a natural sweetener that is slightly less caloric than sugar. However, artificial sugar substitutes such as saccharin, aspartame etc. may not be fooling your body. As reported in TIME magazine back in 2008, scientists at Purdue University showed that animals fed with artificially sweetened food consumed more calories and gained more weight than animals eating food flavored with sugar. The research supports the claim that artificial sweeteners disrupt your body's ability to regulate incoming calories and may help explain why people using artificial sweeteners have trouble losing weight.

"Agave syrup has either a dark or light amber colour and it's slightly thinner in consistency than honey. It contains 60 calories per tablespoon – versus 48 for table sugar – but because it is about 1.5 times sweeter than sugar, you can use less of it. Nutritionally, agave syrup is similar to high-fructose corn syrup.Jul 15, 2013
    Are stevia and agave syrup healthier sweeteners than sugar? - The ...
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health...a...stevia...agave.../article13204159/";
  • It was recommended by other diabetics and those with sugar tolerance issues while I was in the store looking at it & the cashew butter machine. Others claim it was a better alternative, so passed it on.
  • Agave is probably better than sugar, but not a great deal better. It is probably best if folks like me (so called sweet tooth) learn to enjoy foods that aren't sweet and minimize the majority of those that are naturally so (think fruit).
  • Best yet if we all minimize or eliminate ALL processed foods!
  • PapaSkisNTrikes, I learned at a diabetic class that statins and other cholesterol medicines cause diabetes in later ages. Most of the people in my class were over 70 years old and recently diagnosed. The nurse teaching the class advised the students to take Benefiber once a day. It helps to control the cholesterol and blood sugar. Has anyone else heard this? I put it in my smoothie I have after riding. But, riding and other exercise keeps my blood sugar down.
  • We just did our longest ride to date, 26 miles on a fairly flat path. Had glucose tabs with me, that I kept downing the first half of the first leg. I felt off though I was sitting on the trike. Sugar never climbed during this trip. Was 71 when we finished. 86 when we st
  • Toes started to fall asleep on the return
    leg today. Shoes were loose enough that I could scratch the insides by 'clawing' with the toes. Seemed to help.
    Stopped a few times for breaks n gel
    caps. :)
  • Well, sort of Florida_bound...

"Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs May Be Linked to Diabetes
    But the benefit of taking these statins often still outweighs the risks"

By Steve Mitchell For Consumer Reports February 11, 2016

"You may have concerns about taking a cholesterol-lowering statin drug, such as atorvastatin (Lipitor and generic), rosuvastatin (Crestor), and simvastatin(Zocor and generic), after a recent study linked those drugs to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes. But Consumer Reports Best Buy Drugs experts say the heart-protective benefit of statins usually outweighs the risk of diabetes, so don’t skip a statin if you need one to lower your cholesterol.
    Diabetes isn’t a new side effect of statins. The Food and Drug Administration added it to the label of all statins in 2012 based on a review of studies that found a slightly elevated risk. For example, one study that reviewed 13 randomized, controlled clinical trials of statins found that 4.9 percent of people who took one of the drugs for 4 years developed diabetes compared with 4.5 percent of those who didn’t take a statin."