Schrader & Slime...

Was airing up the tires before riding over to Denny's to meet up with friends, got the back and right aired up no problem. The left... that Schrader valve is leaking.

First cleaned out the floor pump, got the slime out but still could no get any air in. Found an old valve core remover and pulled it. It was full of slime! Washed that puppy out, cleaned the valve stem, and was able to air the tire back up.

So... guess I'll have to keep a small tube of alcohol/water mixture on me in case another valve gets plugged up on the road. And why don't bicycle tools have any valve core tools on them?? Guess I will have to find a 1/4" flat bit for the Leatherman or alter a flat screwdriver to make one.
The valve core remover I have is on an old Schrader valve stem, with Loctite. But it's hard to find in a rack pack at times cause it is black, and do not hardly use it except for changing tires or tubes.

Comments

• walmart - slime 4-way valve tool $2
  • Cool. Will look when I go throw chips tonight. Thanks @JamesR
  • Found that dastardly tool in the automotive/stereo section at Walmart - not the bicycle section. They came with 4 valve cores too. Also picked up a set of blue aluminum valve caps.
  • Looks like I'm going to WallyWorld
    today...
  • Park Tool VC-1 it's blue
  • very strange thing, this tool. you can order it from grainger for $4 but they will not ship it to country of origin or another 4 dozen countries: https://www.grainger.com/product/SLIME-4-way-Valve-Tool-33M173?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/33M173_AW01?$smthumb$

a ways back, tried to buy such at the lbs. they looked at this daft old man with pity and gave him a coupla valve caps from the scrounge box that had the stem remover cap top. like trying to find hens teeth if you search the web for those.
  • the slime tool is at Auto Zone $1.39 and Home Depot $1.48 in stock at both stores where I live.
  • Is there is a better valve core or if they are all about the same thing?

Saw the greasy spots around the valve stems and knew they were leaking. Would be beneficial if valve caps would be a secondary block. May have to go with a different innertube?
  • At Walmart I bought Goodyear tubes,
    professing to be 80% thicker.
  • Guess I should of reemphasized about replacing the innertubes with those that hold air longer.
  • Never used slime, it's like stop leak in your radiator or transmission in your car, causes nothing but trouble.
  • Stop Leak causes issues.

Slime actually has a benefit unless it is a garroted valve. Slime stays in the tube, doesn't go anywhere else. Can plug up a leaky valve, but that just means the valve was causing the leak and that needs attention.
  • question for the slime and thick tube users:

run of the mill inner tubes - schwalbe, bontrager, kenda, cst - seem to leak about 5 psi per week. the relatively expensive chaoyang tubes, on the other hand, might drop 3 psi per month.

what is your experience with a slimed tube regarding pressure loss?
    how about the thicker goodyear tubes?
  • Good question! I've wondered if anything would stop the loss.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    question for the slime and thick tube users:

run of the mill inner tubes - schwalbe, bontrager, kenda, cst - seem to leak about 5 psi per week. the relatively expensive chaoyang tubes, on the other hand, might drop 3 psi per month.

Get into that 80-90 psi range and they lose much more. We have to add air before every ride.
  • edited July 2017

TCEd wrote: »
    JamesR wrote: »
    question for the slime and thick tube users:

Get into that 80-90 psi range and they lose much more. We have to add air before every ride.

Many pumps have a large chamber that when you hook up the hose to the valve, has to fill up so the gauge can read. Try checking your pressure with a small gauge, and I bet you are not losing much air at all.

• Many pumps have a large chamber that when you hook up the hose to the valve, has to fill up so the gauge can read. Try checking your pressure with a small gauge, and I bet you are not losing much air at all. [/quote]

Yes, the new pump does have a large chamber so that may be the reason. Had not considered that.