The Look

Young guy fishing along the shore yesterday turned and saw me approaching. The look still makes me laff. Mouth open. Arms straight down. "
I want to buy your Trike. How much?"
I chuckled and kept peddling. Could hear him back there as I went on. Kept
thinking there was not enuff length in
your legs and change in your pockets.
Can TT make up a metal sign we can hang on the back, "Yes, I know.
It's a TerraTrike." ????

Comments

• Lots like our trikes till they find out how much they cost. I tell them that TT has financing, but they've done lost interest. People don't realize that you don't get quality & a lifetime warranty for $400.
  • I get the looks and questions, too. I tell them to go to Terra Trike's website because there is no dealer within 250 miles.
  • We are in west Michigan, about an hour from corporate, same to the nearest dealer to the south. Some are
    very interested and want to talk about them. May carve a small sign to hang on the rack in back. But yes, the price
    scares most right away. Guess they will ride on in pain :'(
  • Conventional bikes are pricey also.
  • same folks aghast at the price of a rover have no problem paying $40,000 for a $20,000 car over a 6 year loan carrying required insurance while keeping the gas tank full.

doesnt matter the explanation, quite incapable of understanding that if they were to abandon car, commute to work and haul groceries with a rambler evo, no insurance payments for three years pays for the trike with health benefits added in for free.

simple economics being carfree but economics seems beyond the grasp of the masses.
  • You are so right. Saw a man get off his seat in pain as he finished his ride with his wife. I had to get out and tell him I used to be like that. And that is the reason I got a trike. They drove by on their way out but didn't stop and ask. I have let people ride mine and they were impressed, never knew it could feel like that.
  • edited July 2017
    There are some preconceived notions that play into this. For some, these trikes are perceived as something that are only useful for "old people." Now that we ride trikes, my wife and I wish we had had them when we were in our 30s. We rode DFs when we were in our 30s and while we enjoyed cycling, we still dealt with the sore butts, numb wrists, and aching necks. Now, as we all know, those issues are a thing of the past.
    Secondly, there is a segment of bike riders that are into the "macho" aspect of cycling and look on trikes with disdain as beneathe their dignity. When I encounter one of those, I just smile to myself and then say to myself, "Your day will come." :-)
  • that didn't work with my emoji's. I have
    seen five other recumbents locally. Two
    we're older riders. Wife and I are both
    58. Two ladies I saw were younger. Last fellow was on one low to the ground. I could never...
  • it will indeed!

coupla months back was at the lbs. a chap and his wife were there to test ride a rover. couldnt - lbs has a problem getting enough rovers to keep one in the floor.

too painful for the gentleman to ride a 2-wheeler any more, they followed me out the door, asked if i minded a few questions about the rambler.

well, you're about my size - hop on and take it up that hill. he did, came back with a big grin. about three hours later had put on different wheels and sized it for him to his satisfaction and helped him load it in his van.

have thought it best not discuss what happened to the rambler when chatting with the lbs manager about recumbents. the rover still suits me fine, better steed for toting groceries.
  • I get the looks and questions a lot when I am on the River Greenway trails here in town. The ride I did yesterday was sponsored by the local velo club. There were a few two wheel recumbent riders, I was the only trike. I got questioned by a few riders asking how comfortable riding a trike is. I let them sit on my trike and I just needed to see there facial expression when they sat down to know they were impressed.
  • s8cm5ks33dhe.png
    We have these cards that explain the benefits of trike riding that we give out to owners so that they can just hand onlookers one and keep riding. They are printed on recyclable bio-degradable paper with wild flower seeds impregnated in them, so if they just toss it on the trail they are essentially just planting flowers.

If you want some, email me your address and I'll send you a stack.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • JamesR wrote: »
    same folks aghast at the price of a rover have no problem paying $40,000 for a $20,000 car over a 6 year loan carrying required insurance while keeping the gas tank full.

doesnt matter the explanation, quite incapable of understanding that if they were to abandon car, commute to work and haul groceries with a rambler evo, no insurance payments for three years pays for the trike with health benefits added in for free.

simple economics being carfree but economics seems beyond the grasp of the masses.

A trike only lifestyle is not that simple. I admire the ability to accomplish it but it would be a difficult and isolating existence for many.
  • I get the look from young kids frequently. Maybe they are not that far removed from their big wheel days !
  • edited July 2017
    Second TCEd. Many a kid has enthused, "Hey Mr. that sure is a neat bike." However by the time they are well into their teens, they refer to me like my grand daughters do, "Super Dork!"
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/myBsaGMm7Kb5IxMF3
  • chonk wrote: »
    s8cm5ks33dhe.png
    We have these cards that explain the benefits of trike riding that we give out to owners so that they can just hand onlookers one and keep riding. They are printed on recyclable bio-degradable paper with wild flower seeds impregnated in them, so if they just toss it on the trail they are essentially just planting flowers.

If you want some, email me your address and I'll send you a stack.

Novel idea! Wished more companies would do similar. Can't imagine someone throwing away a catalog or similar items. I've got your catalog from 6 years back packed away, along with Leatherman memorabilia & items.
  • Thank you for the info cards, @chonk ... and what accompanied them. Made me smile. :)