Steering Bushings

I got my Rover in the summer of 2010, don't know how many miles are on it, but alot. I have never changed the steering bushings. It seems to steer properly. My question is , is this something that should be done as preventative maintenace, and if so are their any instructions on how to do it including necessary parts to order? How difficult a job is it?

Thanks,

Comments

• I did it a few weeks ago to my 2013 Rover I bought used in May. Steers like its new. Can use one finger to push each side. Easy job. I tipped up on other tire to work on one side. Used a screw drive n hammer to tap old ones out. This is after I tried loosening cap bolt plus re greasing them. Nothing helped til new ones were installed. Steering was hard b4. Pushed hard or punched end of handle to move it.
  • FINN58 wrote: »
    I did it a few weeks ago to my 2013 Rover I bought used in May. Steers like its new. Can use one finger to push each side. Easy job. I tipped up on other tire to work on one side. Used a screw drive n hammer to tap old ones out. This is after I tried loosening cap bolt plus re greasing them. Nothing helped til new ones were installed. Steering was hard b4. Pushed hard or punched end of handle to move it.

What has to be loosened, what comes apart first , what bushings are needed before starting the job? Do brakes have to be removed?
  • There are two hex bolts per side on my Rover. First one takes the cap off. 2nd loosens the collar that the steering arm mounts with. Four bushings are needed. $5 each from TT. Wait til those arrive so you can still ride. The assembly will drop thru hole after the two bolts are loosened/ removed. I had to tap mine down. Might use a coat hanger/ wire to hang brake/tire while working on that side. I ordered mine thru site. Maybe you want to call and tell them the year of yours. Can't
    imagine there would be a difference.
  • FINN58 wrote: »
    There are two hex bolts per side on my Rover. First one takes the cap off. 2nd loosens the collar that the steering arm mounts with. Four bushings are needed. $5 each from TT. Wait til those arrive so you can still ride. The assembly will drop thru hole after the two bolts are loosened/ removed. I had to tap mine down. Might use a coat hanger/ wire to hang brake/tire while working on that side. I ordered mine thru site. Maybe you want to call and tell them the year of yours. Can't
    imagine there would be a difference.

Thanks.....