Planet Bike Protege 9.0 mounting

Planet Bike Protege 9.0 cycle computer came in today but it is for a standard handlebar mount. Was hoping the bracket was universal, as wanted a vertical mount for Versa Bar.

Trying to find somewhere to mount it, without having to resort to a stubby mount. Guess going to be down another week if I cannot find a suitable mounting area. /sigh

Think I need to fabricate a stubby mount for the Versa Bar. Any suggestions or methods of construction pf a stubby mount?

atswiu196gou.jpg

Comments

• Have two of these Issimo Designs NOB Universal computer mount coming in from Niagara Cycle Works. Figured best to get another just in case I needed another one for something else.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PTC6CK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rather get a metal one with a band or compression-lock... but try finding one that will go from a vertical to horizontal on the same mount. (!)
  • Well, I'm not sure that this can help you, and it is quite pricey, but have you seen this?

And here is another approach at the other end of the price structure.
  • edited July 2017
    Been thinking of two other ideas in between my restlessness in trying to sleep in a hot trailer.

• Shaped tubing to side of Versa Bar, bolted in, large washer on other end, fastened by a nut
    ouvltphi3r7y.jpg

• Shaped tubing idea, cut a slot into both sides, slip a hose clamp through
    nh0mdnfqy9lp.jpg

Tubing can be aluminum, PVC, or some other lightweight material. Won't have time to try these until next early week. Had a spare aluminum tapered handlebar laying around here, but soon as I wanted it - the dastardly thing is hiding! /smirk
  • edited July 2017
    Check out www.rammount.com for hundreds of components for attaching anything to anything. The only limitation is ones imagination. Recall that Gern used rammount components for his front fender install. Reference his post entitled Easy Front Fender for an example, with photos.
  • My apologies. The post to which I reference by Gern I can no longer find.
  • It's weird, of all the cycling computers I've owned this is the only one requiring a horizontal mount. Guess I should of paid more for a Sigma with similar features.

Could mount it where the AirZound is I supposed, but then where to mount the AirZound in case I need it. Around here in traffic it is used a lot more than I had thought it would.
  • If could find something like this locally, I'd have it mounted tomorrow - after shortening the bar length. :)

barend-micros.jpg
    https://clee-cycles.co.uk/P1347/product
  • Or... PVC / ABS T Fitting from local hardware store, some tape for gripping, maybe some zip ties or a hose clamp. Not as visually appealing but should work. Or go fancy, copper T fitting. :D
  • Almost any local bike shop will have mountain bike bar extensions, which is what that picture you posted looks like.
  • edited July 2017
    Hunted all over Home Depot to find a T fitting that would fit to no avail. Went back a second time, and found this blue fitting thing...

Should of cut off less material
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/wICHb9vPceIHQRcm1

Worked at night while it was cool, using a headlamp. Got the temporary clamp on.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ajUkEOZwLkE8fqVf2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/soGpJNudyxSwDfHo1

This should hold me till I find something more suitable or when the NOB comes in. Had extra cord from the kit so did an S loop in one spot with a semi-loose wire tie.

According to the manual settings, a 20" x 1.75" = 1502
    http://planetbike.com/files/8001and2manual.pdf
  • New mount is working out. It's just far enough in that my thighs don't touch it, although I could move it more forward on the Versa Bar if needed.

Mn0W8fCYEYZkAFh86sE9vXWk6MGYZwww9W5FqYs_yYQi-Q1e7108kJShm0KlgouHQ7zVwQAqfMl7wlhcxViee4xmtlYa3itUe8PcnQK24mRaFH48Qib7XsarMwAABjMbXJsU2EN9SlDrt82_wsKtsrQcvEEzPJwKxInnJCPX7C94MMSYPBShrnSEqvWHi1_Oj1m9rR3VtNsp49LXDQH4MfvEMaePWbJN6iBvNuOZgqlorttiNXIFcU612xJZUX2qLv15crVXnj-EXjjHMqzRVIHW9WDI41F0Lows79P3cIpQWyTVHAL0QbYM7ILUG9TRQEnzkOD4BfwyeNFOpk4mhusQrgk3HDMpZCubczAfVq8g-cLCnD12yVvaPKrryYey3dNEUw_JGz3nYtNp_iUs-_QpWB_7tgTNuSkxNwTi5wfe0-07c7AVkdKQjK5tNdj2LFyBpr1NkrFC3LsbHxZDuMdkZynTQxV1SGCAbLtycsZ1Hgifo729gOqmh89H6g1cN1CCrr27RFcSdyIjdVhKzREw3Yq61sSaPb2v54rOWCsFtsJBxFolll8ZK492D9mYN4KqkEWPnZ6t_RtxbSkk7MHPy0OErfELI_fTw-Zg0E3WaAWZqxBQosjo=w360-h640-no

Compared this computer with CycleDroid and CycleDroid says I'm going just a bit faster than the Protege 9, so I may have to do the whole measurement thing.

Now for the wheel measurement, should I be seated in the Rover to get a more accurate distance measurement, or does that not really matter?

• Compared this computer with CycleDroid and CycleDroid says I'm going just a bit faster than the Protege 9, so I may have to do the whole measurement thing.

Now for the wheel measurement, should I be seated in the Rover to get a more accurate distance measurement, or does that not really matter?[/quote]

Did you get a chart with the computer for tire size input ?
  • edited July 2017
    TCEd wrote: »
    Compared this computer with CycleDroid and CycleDroid says I'm going just a bit faster than the Protege 9, so I may have to do the whole measurement thing.

Now for the wheel measurement, should I be seated in the Rover to get a more accurate distance measurement, or does that not really matter?

Why not just get a tape measure and do a roll out calibration, nothing more accurate than that.
  • Captainbob wrote: »
    TCEd wrote: »

Why not just get a tape measure and do a roll out calibration, nothing more accurate than that.

Or that.
  • Interesting. Thought Planet Bike says 1502 is the measurement for 20 x 1.75, this calculator says it's closer to 1555.

http://www.berkshiresports.org/index.php?ID=bikecomputertiresizecalculator
  • Every tire is different. Rolling measure on the ground is pretty much the only accurate method, I think.
  • Grr, stupid editor killed my post... again. Really?!?

Rode to Denny's this morning to meet up with Roger. It's been a couple of weeks. His knees were bugging him so he drove his truck, so I got the primo trike parking spot. :D
    Gave him some TerraTrike seeded cards & a sticker, since already had a sticker on mine.

After getting home measured along the cement area out front. Looks like the measurement was 62 3/16" which equates to 1579.5625 mm. Although 1555 was close, there was slight differences since the computer records when I'm goofing off, and didn't have CycleDroid running when I was goofing off.

UylDCjC1U5mS04qq9DdfRTrYm2xYy59s-svJkMrdM7lmt4eLq2onlCXb5MrGOHGxSh0nsIEAJQ=w328-h219-no
    ef4Pgtigq01YDEe2YrCHXqQGoMGtx6MfynO2sPPNd4VDKwcLYLs_hAAw5W1-rTGzcsEptm8zbGarVz810CBsnyVIEb9ovECnui7UnwwxiEjMmQ-ZsupezEFjOPzIs9MwDufQgFcKqE5JMGreOMu-yb5aA4MEZIh5ShT08LV9kD4Yr4amMEpcE_Qm2YW1f76mGrCOMzTDbVgO3Dn8_-Fk4Ln0oYrn7KDprWZdIYzj82JorpbrWbM2p3_V9pniFwLcfxOVmNcd14ehjpeQwzEtxy4Yf-crWdDxhyNTXsfgdTj7tDrzRCfx6DJJTaIEzi_HeMFphlwsPrZSuMA5QLJQlew8HKhoKTDe593FbioGKu2vaPPH0aNVI-gOsVJ9yevr5SFbE4JVAHzO_zNm5IOFdsfWjR5gl8bddufN4CeMW66R-wDbn_aCFyz-JdtO0imsm0M7rOoCTIFPRd-txIX8PTEXZGbk4KQf2HGxymTWuVkfa_MAbfdczT8kUj07F2JXRtso5B8geWSE4lLh9oybzNIdT1BUy_mPlOitmg8IuikG51wEbxRSo7rDAhwfRsaIMc1ZXEz790MZMoEOm4usP5y5tQcD0-FBoEmajN8oT0e8VavjJJAh=w949-h316-no

Rounded off 1579.5625 to 1580 so will see on the next ride how the two compare. CycleDriod gives a bit more details although I haven't figure out how to determine the grade percentage after a ride as it's (- -) blank and only displays when actually riding over the grade. By then my head is back on the headrest, and I'm concentrating up taking the grade as opposed to looking at the phone.

Headrest makes grades MUCH easier! :D
  • Cycledroid graphs include pitch over time, I believe.
  • edited July 2017
    Variations if average speed, maximum speed, distance.

Two different rides, one in morning other late this evening. CycleDroid & Fitbit both use the phone's GPS, and the Protege is using the wheel setting of 1580.

CyleDroid - Morning
    Avg: 7.3
    Max: 20.8

CycleDroid - Partial Evening
    Avg: 7.3
    Max: 18.3

Fitbit - Morning
    Avg: 4.8
    Max. 8+

Fitbit - Partial Evening
    Avg: 7.7
    Max: 18

Protege 9 - Combined
    Avg: 5.9
    Max: 18.4
    Distance: 8.22 mi
    RTM: 1h 23m 17s

Do know I was slower this evening's ride. I could feel it. Protege was showing a decline in the current average speed. Could be CycleDroid & Fitbit both using the phone's GPS could have sharing issues despite a quad core, minus what's going on with the space weather.
  • My reccomdation is use one of those devices and turn the others off and enjoy the ride and being outdoors. Sometimes technology is best left behind.
  • Temporary mount - has been working out well.
    35917861211_b4931f1268_z.jpg

NOBs came in the mail today. Will have to decide whether to use one for this mount or leave it the way it is and perhaps use the NOBs for a rear light as opposed to using a lightbar.
  • He wins the "Trick yor Trike" competition.
  • The NOBs came in yesterday afternoon. :)
    36060702935_75e05edb37_z.jpg

Would of liked to gotten The NOB XL but those seems to be hard to locate.
  • edited July 2017
    The Nob did a better job and did not take up nearly as much room, and far more adjustable. As to why no company makes something like this in metal boggles me. This is nothing more than a plastic hose clamp with a molded mounting surface - so simple.

Protege 9.0 mounted on Versa Bar with The Nob
    36093492355_97166cf7b4_z.jpg

Side view
    36093492195_11f6e4c371_z.jpg

Other side
    36053553416_04bcc14a53_z.jpg

The Bontrager lights don't fit well on The Nob. Would require something to extend the width some as the rubber grips need more width to grab onto. Might work with other lights though.

The Nob is 1 inch around, 9/8 inch wide, with a 4 1/2" strap. There's a plastic screw that pulls the strap in tight.
  • @IdahoTrailLizard you're running Marathon 40-406 up front, right? What's the circumference of those tires that you put into your bike computer? I just switched to them and I need to re-program my Cateye.
  • edited July 2017
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus, 20 Inch, 406 Tire
    The measurement was 62 3/16" which equates to 1579.5625 mm, so chose 1580.
    nze7d7e5yemp.jpg
  • You've got Plus all around? I put regular Marathons up front, the Plus is only in the rear. Dang. OK, Rolling measurement here we go.