Wheel Bearing Replacement

My 2016 Rover 8ext is developing a little play in left front wheel bearing, so presume it will need replacement soon. Anybody changed them out? Technique? Can't find anything in the forums or TTUniversity. Have to DIY as no LBS out here in boondocks.

Comments

• Got the wheel off and bearings out using a 21mm long socket as a driver on outer. Inner came out when I pulled wheel off axle. It was tight on axle
    . Was the outer bearing. TT out of stock but gave size and ordered through AMAZON.COM. delivery Mon
  • Did you ask TT what torque setting to use when putting the wheel back on, and/or blue loktite was needed?
  • That is covered on TTU
  • That is covered on TTU

What is a "TTU" ?
  • Guess I misunderstood something you said then...
    My 2016 Rover 8ext is developing a little play in left front wheel bearing, so presume it will need replacement soon. Anybody changed them out? Technique? Can't find anything in the forums or TTUniversity. Have to DIY as no LBS out here in boondocks.

• edited July 2017
  • edited July 2017
    Disregard, that link won't work either. You have to do a search on Youtube for the terraTrike University Playlist to see all the videos. Ok, I see if you click the top left of the videos it pops up the playlist of all of them.
  • No worries. Hope you get it sorted out quickly, Mr SP :)
  • We'll see how it goes back together. Do not have a press for putting bearings back in hub. Will have to make one if new bearings cannot be tapped in. We'll see. Promised delivery Monday. Have to walk until then! Boo-Hoo!

TT really should post some info on how to service these wear items.
  • Can put the bearings in the freezer for a time say 10 minutes, and then it can make it easier to install the bearings on the hub. If needed can use a threaded rod with spacers, washers, sockets etc to press the bearing in. If you lived close by you could come over and I'd show you how to do it, best wishes!
  • edited July 2017
    Thanks for the video link Captain Bob and the tips Ironman1518. Got the new ones today and put in w/o incident. Tapped, then pressed and finished w another couple of taps. The right wheel was still ok but a little rough so popped the outer seals, lubed and reinserted seals. Will do for a while. Will order a bearing pulled before putting the new bearings in as the spacer TT uses to maintain the space between the inner and outer bearings could make it difficult to knock out the first bearing w/o damaging the spacer. Once one bearing is out the spacer slides out and it is simple to knock the other one out of the hub
    Here's a few picts of the bearing assembly and spacer as well as the 21mm socket I used as a punch to knock out/tap in bearings https://photos.app.goo.gl/zIM8KPpqVdt8I4Hp1