Rover steering bushing replacement

edited July 2017 in Rover
My Rover is about 7 years old with many thousands of miles, and I was thinking of replacing the steering bushings as a preventative maintenance issue. I have a couple of questions for anyone that has managed to do this:

1 Is a stand necessary, because I do not have a Trike stand.
2. I have BB7 Brakes on my Rover, do you have to take the brakes off to change the bushings.
3. How exactly do you remove the old bushings and insert the new ones?
4. Any special tools needed?

Comments

• Coming from a Rover 2017 viewpoint...

1. No
    2. No.
    3. Remove the handles and the top keeper nut & washers. Lift up, and the steering slides out from underneath. Might be best to put the boom on a block though.
    4. Allen wrenches
  • Coming from a Rover 2017 viewpoint...

1. No
    2. No.
    3. Remove the handles and the top keeper nut & washers. Lift up, and the steering slides out from underneath. Might be best to put the boom on a block though.
    4. Allen wrenches

Thanks.
  • edited July 2017
    remove the tierod.
    consider cutting a few cable ties to avoid stretch when the assembly drops.
    remove the capscrew.
    remove the handlebar. make sure attached cables are not going to get in the way.

with the opposite brake locked, rotate the trike toward it and wiggle/slide the spindle assembly out. it may be tight enough, coming off at an angle, that a block of wood on the kingpin and a few whacks will help getting it off. if you have one, a padded jackstand at the cruciform could make this a bit less physical.

a 3/8 wooden dowel inserted into the tube with judicious hammer whacks walking around the clock will get the bushings out.

clean the tube, lithium grease it for corrosion protection. grease the underside of the bushing, center over tube and see if you can start pushing it into the tube a tad. once started, a block of wood atop and some gentle whack-whack should seat it. eyeball to make sure it is going in straight.

if the bushing does not want to cooperate: i used a long 3/8 bolt with fender washers larger than tube diameter. bolt head - regular washer - bushing - fender washer at far end, regular washer, nut.
    hold the bolthead with a box-end wrench, draw the bushing in with the nut end. be careful the bushing is aligned and being drawn straight in.

grease the bushing side of the kingpin washers. reinstall the wheel assembly, lightly tighten the capscrew, position and secure handle. do the other side and after installing the tierod, good to check toe-in.

tools: 5 mm allen wrench and a small crescent or 13 mm wrench for the tierod nut.
  • edited July 2017
    Thanks. Is the kingpin or the inside of the bushings greased too?
  • pop the new bushings into the freezer for at least 4-6 hours...will help ease installation
  • Didn't know that when I did mine. Three
    went in nicely but last one was a .....
    I wasn't watching the angle of the tube
    close enuff but it finally went in.
  • grease kingpin and inside of bushing - yes.

dunno about popping the bushings into -20 temps, might make fragile. being plastic and a non-conductor, expect temp has little effect on them.
  • Changed bushings tonight. New bushings produced stiff steering. Does this loosen up after riding the new bushings awhile?
  • You greased the bushing, correct? Might want to loosen up the bolt some of it is too tight.
  • Mine were loose right away. I was able to tighten that cap bolt a lot and it didn't affect the steering one bit.
  • Greased the heck out of it. Turning the wheel was stiff, without even fastening the steering handle assembly, like just a tight fit between the steering axle and the bushings.
  • Have you ridden it? I had some trouble
    getting it back together too. But when I
    rode it wow, just like my wife's Trike.
  • At the suggestion of the nearest dealer,
    I took some fine sandpaper to the shaft
    as well as inside bushing. It may be compressed a touch.
  • edited August 2017
    FINN58 wrote: »
    Have you ridden it? I had some trouble
    getting it back together too. But when I
    rode it wow, just like my wife's Trike.

Just rode it about 1/2 a block. Going to take it out tomorrow and ride it. I also called Terratrike, but they were busy, will try again tomorrow to contact them and ask. I am hoping that the new bushings have to wear in a bit before it loosens up.
  • And I am talking about 800, 1000 grit
    black sandpaper. Automotive section
    at Walmart.
  • Where do you live? Fly me there and we'll get it right.