LOUD CRACK Sound

edited July 2017 in Rover
Anyone ever hear a LOUD CRACK sound coming from your Rover? Not the normal creaking noises. Wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, but it was loud. Am guessing the inner boom shifted or something.

Checked under the Rover when I got home, used camera and flashlight, didn't see any cracks - even the ones from a previous post where the reinforcement brace was at. Will check Rover over more in the daylight.

Comments

• When did it happen, going straight, turning, etc.
  • I've heard it while making a turn with a higher rate of speed. It sounds like it's coming from right under the seat.
  • edited July 2017
    It is the seat bushing, most likely. You can order them from parts. You need two,I always keep a couple extra. Call TerraTrike tech if you don't know how to install them.

http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt000225.htm

Read the posts on this thread, about replacing the bushings, and disregard the discussions on fixing seat slip. They are two different issues. Unfortunately the videos on this topic have disappeared, but there are enough written tips to be able to do it.
    https://www.terratrike.com/ttforum/discussion/836/seat-slipping-fixed/p2
  • when i hear any creaking on the rover i break out the wrenches. for me, that isnt a normal sound. you might want to check the condition of the seat support tubes on that note.
  • I have heard a sharp sound too. Seems to happen when I am on a side slope. Don't remember if it happens when I return to level ( or when I continue my roll and it is the neck making that sound.) :)

• FINN58 wrote: »
    I have heard a sharp sound too. Seems to happen when I am on a side slope. Don't remember if it happens when I return to level ( or when I continue my roll and it is the neck making that sound.) :)

Last time I will repeat this and then I am done, it is the seat bushings that are making that noise....... Nothing else will cause a loud cracking sound either turning or when on a slope. SEAT BUSHINGS>>>>> ;)

• ...and I just ordered a mesh seat from
    Corporate! ...and he asked if I needed
    anything else too! damn... :p
  • Call them back. They will gladly help!
  • edited July 2017
    WAIT. If the front cruciform is up against the back section of square tube (and of course the boom going through them both) the slight twisting of being off-kilter can make the cruciform and rest of frame rub against each other. Sounds almost like a .30 cal going off.

I stepped the cruciform forward 1/8" and wrapped a single zip tie around the boom between the cruciform and the rest of the frame. Never heard the crack again.

Sorry @Captainbob but these two frame components can be like continental plates under tension. Enough twist, and they shift against each other and produce a very loud crack.
  • We have a seismologist amongst us.
  • edited July 2017
    Thanks. Will get out there and look more. Been fighting some weird bug, had to go for a ride last evening. Don't recall what I was doing, although it startled me. Did not feel any shift or change in riding.

Took about 40 photos with smartphone and flashlight, didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Looked them over on the computer, all seemed normal. Will check the seat tubes/mounts though too. Still had the usual creaking of the seat on the way home.

Will give that zip tie thing a go as I remember that being mentioned before.
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    WAIT. If the front cruciform is up against the back section of square tube (and of course the boom going through them both) the slight twisting of being off-kilter can make the cruciform and rest of frame rub against each other. Sounds almost like a .30 cal going off.

I stepped the cruciform forward 1/8" and wrapped a single zip tie around the boom between the cruciform and the rest of the frame. Never heard the crack again.

Sorry @Captainbob but these two frame components can be like continental plates under tension. Enough twist, and they shift against each other and produce a very loud crack.

Very easy to troubleshoot, loosen seat bolt and look at the bushings you will see that one or both of them are broken.
  • I found that one of my boom bolts was loose. I could rock the seat back and forth. I tightened that bolt and all is well.

I tend to rock side to side as I ride so I have to tighten these bolts every few months.