First ride today, seat material a bit rough on the bare leg.

Took my maiden voyage on my new Rambler and I enjoyed this trike very much.....with the exception of the seat material which was a bit abrasive on my bare leg. I was wearing street shorts at the time.

Is there a material available that might cover the leading edge of the seat so as to keep the abrading under control?

I am really hoping I can get away without needing to wear the Lycra and chamois diaper shorts that I have been wearing over the years.

Any advice?

Comments

• Cargo shorts work great. They're long enough to prevent the edge of the seat from rubbing on bare legs and the cargo pockets are great way to prevent items from slipping out undetected.
  • Answered my own question. When I sat on the trike, the edge of the upper layer of fabric pulled back a bit, exposing the strap and buckle below. This strap and buckle then rubbed against my leg. A bit of black paracord tied to the offending strap and tied off at the bar at the rear of the seat pulls that strap and buckle back under the seat material where it belongs.
  • Tilting the seat more upright resolves the problem also. It changes the angle of your legs to the seat.
  • edited July 2017
    Aye, tilting can help or make things worse. Some of us prefer the seat to the second to last hole, which in turn causes issues with our thighs being poked by the seat material roll-over. I use a granny chair cushion to get past that. Agree on cargo shorts or cargo knickers.

Strange that your seat is having that issue. I'd probably loosen all the straps, check for proper adjustment of the seat material, then tighten all them buckles back down & loop the tails back through the buckle loops.
  • There is the added issue of everyone's anatomy is different. What works for one may be problematic to another. My wife is 5'0", I am 6"2", and while we both prefer to be reclined as much as possible, we have had to make allowances for our differences. We have found that we have needed to tinker, tweak, adjust, and fine tune to arrive at what we each differently feel is best. Keep working with it and you will find the best seat position for you.
  • Do wish it was possible to have the bars come back more without needing to change hand placement. Leaning the seat back to make everything else comfortable in turn moves the handles more forward. Some rides causes shoulder & arm discomfort.
    The handlebars are only adjustable around that bolt, they don't tilt in or out. :\
  • PapaSkisNTrikes, you may have something there with your comment on the cargo shorts. I'm a short legged fella and the inseam on my Cabela's brand trail shorts is 5".

As such, when I ride, they do ride up.

Perhaps a longer inseam on my shorts, like the more typical 9", would do me well.

I will try those longer shorts.

Thank you.

Albert Einstein was once asked a question that he couldn't answer, by a reporter.

The reporter snidely commented, "I thought you were a genius."

Einstein replied that a genius does not know everything......but rather is a person who knows enough people......who collectively.....do.

I like this forum.

Thank you again.
  • My seat has been up and down. I change it frequently. I recently moved it more upright to catch breezes while it's so hot down here. In the winter, I will probably move it back down.

Yes, when you move the seat, you move the handlebars closer to or further away from you. However, you can adjust by moving the front boom in and the center boom out. Also, if you don't extend your legs as far, you can avoid the thighs hitting the seat frame.

Just keep making adjustments until you find what works for you!
  • Just go to TJ Max and get a pair of "sweat wicking" basketball shorts. They provide a perfect barrier for abrasion, and weigh about nothing. $10
  • That is exactly what solved the problem for me. I ditched the short inseam canvas cargo shorts (just when I ride) and instead moved to the longer inseam and slippery basketball shorts. Plus, I added the seat wedge under my thighs, which also helped.
    Now, if I were to start wearing multi-colored boxer shorts, and pull the new basketball shorts down off my waist by 8 to 10 inches, I'd look 60 years younger!
  • Seat wedge, least for me, did not keep the material/seam from bugging me after a few rides. A cheap chair cushion was helping till it gets mashed down. Not had the time to try other ideas between two part-time jobs and this blasted heat.

Now the Treasure Valley is being inundated with heavy smoke particles from all the wildland fires. Not seen it this bad in a couple of decades. Not good for the lungs either.
  • Rockler woodworking, online. Look for a router non-slip pad. Fairly thin, inexpensive, and we can sew or otherwise connect it so that it protects us from that nasty seam that folds into a point and digs into the thighs.