26" wheel?

Interested in Rover, possibly purchase in spring. Will a 26" wheel fit? If it does does the factory offer it as an option?
I have an Easy Racer LWB recumbent, 26" rear wheel that I have been riding for 20 years and I use the 38 tooth chaining with a 13-28 rear sprocket set 99% of the time.

Comments

  • Why change to a trike? Why a Rover? Other Terra Trike models come with the 26" wheel.

    I'm sure others will chime in but I believe the larger real wheel will push the pedals too low to the ground. It could be dangerous depending on the size of your feet
  • On my Rambler, with a 20" rear wheel, the center of the pedal spindle is 6" from the ground at the lowest point.

    Raising my rear wheel by 3" (simulating a 26" rear wheel) reduces that dimension to 5" from the center of the pedal spindle to the ground at the lowest point.

    Larger feet could indeed be an issue.
  • Why?
    Price foremost. I cannot afford $2k on a trike.
    Why a Rover? Simplicity. Plus the design is similar to a trike I built 15 years ago with the square tubing and 26" rear wheel. The 26" wheel which I now have on my Easy Racer is an 25 1/2" in diameter. What is the actual diameter of the mounted standard 20" tire?
    Not crazy about 24" wheels since the tire choices are rather slim but would consider it if need be.
    Size 10 shoes. And I use Look road pedals. What is the bottom bracket height on a 20" Rover based on the middle of the BB spindle?
  • works ok w a 24" Clearances in the back fork could be pretty tight with a 26 depending on tire size. Running a 24x 2.15
  • bottom bracket height is 13.0", 170 mm crankset. no wheel size option. 24-66 gear-inch range.

    happen to have a rover with a 16-inch wheel, patterson crankset, nexus 8-hub with a 22-tooth sprocket. change that to a 16-tooth sprocket [~$8] for 16-77 g.i. you can up the gear range with a larger patterson chainring for $50.

    20x3 kenda flames for cushy ride up front, scorcher 16x1.5 rear for a bb height of 15 inches. rack, mirrors, bell, derailleur post, wide seat and handlebars.

    $750 at gainesville, fl

  • mjrodney wrote: »
    On my Rambler, with a 20" rear wheel, the center of the pedal spindle is 6" from the ground at the lowest point.

    Raising my rear wheel by 3" (simulating a 26" rear wheel) reduces that dimension to 5" from the center of the pedal spindle to the ground at the lowest point.

    Larger feet could indeed be an issue.

    Very useful info. I will have to measure my shoes clicked into the Look pedals.
    Can you measure the diameter of a 20" wheel tire combo?
  • What is the standard crank on a x8 Rover? Teeth and crank length?
    Might be better off considering a 42 tooth chainring road crank and a set of Big Apple tires inflated to 100 psi.
    On my trike I used to have high pressure ACS tires which were 407 size but 2" wide. Great tires, never had a flat. Too bad they are not made any more.
  • mrbill5 wrote: »
    mjrodney wrote: »
    On my Rambler, with a 20" rear wheel, the center of the pedal spindle is 6" from the ground at the lowest point.

    Raising my rear wheel by 3" (simulating a 26" rear wheel) reduces that dimension to 5" from the center of the pedal spindle to the ground at the lowest point.

    Larger feet could indeed be an issue.

    Very useful info. I will have to measure my shoes clicked into the Look pedals.
    Can you measure the diameter of a 20" wheel tire combo?

    My road shoes locked into the Look pedal are 7 1/2" from pedal axle center to back of shoe. And since one sits several inches higher than the crankset the full 7 1/2" would probably never be vertical while pedaling but could become vertical while coasting.
  • My Easy Racer 38tooth crank, 12-28 rear 35" to 82"

    Base Rover 24" to 66"
    Base Rover, 42 tooth crank, 26" to 73"
    Base Rover, 24" rear tire, 29" to 73"
    Base Rover, 26" tire, 31" - 86"

    So probably best starting point for me might be different crank, 42 teeth chainring and high pressure fat 20" tires.
  • Default front teeth on a Rover are 32T.
  • mrbill5 wrote: »
    mrbill5 wrote: »
    mjrodney wrote: »
    On my Rambler, with a 20" rear wheel, the center of the pedal spindle is 6" from the ground at the lowest point.

    Raising my rear wheel by 3" (simulating a 26" rear wheel) reduces that dimension to 5" from the center of the pedal spindle to the ground at the lowest point.

    Larger feet could indeed be an issue.

    Very useful info. I will have to measure my shoes clicked into the Look pedals.
    Can you measure the diameter of a 20" wheel tire combo?

    My road shoes locked into the Look pedal are 7 1/2" from pedal axle center to back of shoe. And since one sits several inches higher than the crankset the full 7 1/2" would probably never be vertical while pedaling but could become vertical while coasting.

    This one is easy. Just a hair over 20" at 60 lbs of pressure.
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    Default front teeth on a Rover are 32T.

    Spec sheet has 32tooth chaining for the I8 hub. X8 hub is listed as 38 tooth chainring.

    I personally am not interested in a gearhub, low tech derailleur is fine with me.
  • 26" wheel on a Rover is not a good idea.
Sign In or Register to comment.