Stowaway Bag

edited August 2017 in Accessories
Previous experience was with Jandd and Rhode Gear. Have a Jandd 6-Pack Expandable I bought back in the 90's and is still in use today. Quality is high, especially since it lasted over 25 years and is starting to list a bit to one side.

The Stowaway Bag serves a niche in the area that is not being used on the trike. http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600345.htm
Had noticed this unused area back in October 21st, 2016, shortly after I bought the 2016 Rover. See, Jandd has frame and other bags that fill in areas, and this one seemed obvious.
36576878016_69472ea8c7.jpg
- In the summer of 2017 TerraTrike & Chonk announced the Stowaway Bag. :)

Onward...
Had noticed the original photos of the Stowaway Bag looks to have a more rounded back end than the frontal section.
leq9k9dnwnev.jpg
Then seen the latest ones Chonk posted the look more flat front to back now. - which is the way it was received today; more flat all across. Have not had the time to put on the Rover yet. Will get to that as time comes.
ewbcv6jao0ju.jpg
As you can see, the Expedition Pannier can also be used with the Stowaway Bag in place. Is rumored there could be an electronic-assisted kit for the Rover, in which the batteries could be attached to either side or both as well as extra TerraTrike Panniers.

The idea of the packs, mounted on the Low Rider Rack, is to keep weight down low on the trike. This allows the advantage in having a lower center of gravity whilst also utilizing an area that would otherwise be unused. The interior is of a soft material in which the velcro baffles adhere to.
36480855981_da1568c8db_z.jpg
These sections can be removed and placed per the user's desire, and the center area does go through to the other side with the baffles removed.
35809467593_1b591580be_z.jpg
However, rigidity is lost when the baffles are removed from the center, and the center could collapse downward. Still, this is behind the seat and should not matter.
35809467303_4ba650eeab_z.jpg

Top Front - 2 Straps on either side, could be for a universal fit for all the trikes.
36618823155_7d2068507b_z.jpg

Bottom Back - Four velcro tabs to hold the bag securely down on the Low Rider Rack. (Mounting hardware sold separately.) http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600361.htm 35809467223_b1374d9ecb_z.jpg[/url]

Low Rider Rack on a Rover
36455299992_d93f0e1cf5_z.jpg

¬ ITL

Comments

• edited August 2017
    There is a lime green (formed) rain fly that comes with the bag.

Top - Elastic closure
    35809467903_23060a65da_z.jpg

Side - Elastic closure - Note: The reflective trimming would be blocked on the sides
    36618823245_17e17c3565_z.jpg

Reverse - Elastic closure
    36618822755_66d9e28a78_z.jpg

Underneath - There are velcro strips to hold this in place in the center
    35809468093_714113f7b4_z.jpg
    A person would have to unwrap a side section in order to gain entry to the bag, and then replaced to block moisture from above. Note: The reflective trime is blocked by the rainfly.

¬ ITL
  • This is the 1990/91 Jandd Expandable 6-Pack made from a water-repellent Cordura material, heavy foam on the inside which doubled as an insulator. The seam folds over, though I tend to forget rolling it over.
    35814477433_13cd37b45e_z.jpg
    There are side pockets and a top pocket, and the expansion unzips in a wedge shape from the seat outward to the back. Very good design. One can throw a light jacket in there for the ride home. :) And there is a reflective strip in the back.

What I would of liked to seen on the Stowaway Bag, besides Cordura exterior and denser foam... would be;
    • Reflective trim on the back & front sides for extra protection - not just the side.
    35809468373_0c33425060_z.jpg
    • Or... a sewn-in loop that the owner could, if they wanted, to clip a red light onto.
    • One piece flooring to keep the flexing from wearing the bag out prematurely

In essence, this bag is not a replacement for a luggage pack as I had hoped. It is not rigid enough. However one can store extra items in there like a pair of sweat pants, a light rain slicker, some gloves, extra socks, bug repellent, food items, emergency water filtration (which mine will go in there), first aid & snake bite kit, reflective vest in case you're riding out late, etc.
    With the center removable one could put an hand pump inside there and still allow the baffles to hold the center out more.

Would like to get an Expedition Pannier to run with this bag at some point in time. Could use this for when going to church or doing social runs as people are always trying to send something home with me. Probably could not put a Ukulele in the Expedition Pannier...

¬ ITL
  • edited August 2017
    Top Front - 2 Straps on either side, could be for a universal fit for all the trikes.
    36618823155_7d2068507b_z.jpg

Got to thinking... these straps might also be used to store a light-weight fleece blanket with, place to hold your jacket / reflective vest when you decide to socialize. Since there was no literature explaining the attachments, one can only guess. ;)

¬ ITL
  • Will try and get the bag on the Rover tomorrow before heading off to work, and getting some photos posted.

¬ ITL
  • edited August 2017
    I don't see this thing fitting under a seat that is leaned back very far at all. In fact, wouldn't that vertical bar setup on the low-rider rack prevent a person from having their seat leaned back much at all?
  • Jrobiso2 wrote: »
    I don't see this thing fitting under a seat that is leaned back very far at all. In fact, wouldn't that vertical bar setup on the low-rider rack prevent a person from having their seat leaned back much at all?

Trade offs. Can't fit six pounds of s**t in a five pound sack. I think the rack and stowage is a great idea and lowers the C.G. versus the load up high on a rack.
  • The U portion does not have to be installed.
    Think it's purpose was for added protection to keep the specialized bag from sliding back in case a velcro strap was compromised. However, it could also be to keep the bag from riding on a rear fender if that was installed. And to go one further, a person could wrap something around the U bracket to keep mud from being slung in that general direction.

Have the seat lowered to the second from last hole and there's still plenty of room before it could even begin to touch the seat backing. Doubt that it could unless you had a short luggage rack (I don't have) and you shortened your seat post radically that you would be almost flat, then maybe there might be an issue with the U bracket.

¬ ITL
  • I mounted my Stowaway Bag yesterday. The front of the bag sits far enough forward that I can feel it through the seat when I'm riding.

Keep in mind, I'm 6"3", so I have my seat a bit further back than most people would have theirs. I also have a motor mounted where the rack would normally sit, so I had to make a pair of brackets to move the rack back to it's normal position. The rack's mounting hardware is forward of the intended spot and the brackets move it back to where it should be.

I guess it's the nature of the beast.
  • Who ever designed this pack ... argh! Okay, the pack is fine the way it is, although would of helped a lot more if the back end had more room than the front - the initial rounded back end.

Attaching them velcro strips with big hands was quite annoying to say the least! Did have to raise the seat to get the Stowaway Bag positioned in there, and it fit snug on its own.

35919091853_dc5d84c7d4_n.jpg

Front velcro straps were okay, ... it was the back ones that were highly annoying. Do yourself a favor, use a large wire paperclip or something to loop through the tab before sliding it up through the plastic cinch ring. I used a Leatherman Skeletool to grab a corner and pull the tabs through.

Think I wasted 30 minutes of riding time getting the back velcro loops installed. And only go through the first metal rod of the Low Rider Rack, not both - there is not enough velcro tab if looping around both rods. And you'll end up using your finger to poke up underneath to seal the velcro surfaces.

35893872624_98f7f1df08_n.jpg35919092043_5ee7a9e5df_n.jpg

Once the velcro tabs are in place the pack is not going anywhere. There are adjustable loop buckles that you can attach to the seat backing if you want. Think these are to hold the outer front pieces up as a laid back seat does make for a rather cramped fit.

35893872224_22563e5b03_o.jpg

Stuck the JBL Flip 3 in between the center area and adjusted the removable panels/baffles accordingly. Man, talk about bass!!

Kept the rainfly in one pocket area, and slid a camera case into one side, a can of insect repellent on the other. Needed the bug spray once I got to town, and owned a few PokeGyms while I was there.

The dual zippered pockets are easy to reach while seated and riding. So a person could stuff fruit or snack towards the front and grab them while pedaling. Reaching back any further might depend upon the individual.

¬ ITL
  • Did stop at Idaho Power to take some night time photos to see how the angle of the 3M reflective strip did.
    35893872404_d8920552a0_n.jpg

And can say the reflective strip can be seen from the front & rear quarters as well as the side.
    35919091733_07bdac9cf2_n.jpg

It does make a difference even though the strip seems rather on the skinny side of things - compared to the reflective trim on the seats and seat bag.
    35893871924_b4211e2596_n.jpg

¬ ITL
  • Saw your homemade headrest. Very inventive!
  • edited August 2017
    TT headrest :) That blue thing is a light bar for two rear lights, with foam padding for the shoulders.

¬ ITL
  • Ooohhh! I didn't see the headrest in the pictures and assumed the foam was the headrest. That's an even better way to mount rear lights. My rack will not accomodate my light so I need to mount it somewhere else. So far, I haven't ridden at night. But, I have noticed how much reflective material is on the trike. I open the door to the garage at night to make sure I closed the large door. Both the trike and the teardrop flag shine like crazy. Great to know you will be seen at night!
  • be well-lit at night - those 2-wheel yahoos riding without lights could spoil a pleasant outing.
  • When I bought a Bontrager Flair R I was impressed, so decided at one point to get two of them. Did not have a headrest back then, and used the TT seat bag.
    At one point, beforehand, someone mentioned using two driveway markers from Home Depot. Well, the reflectivity on those were bad... so later I attached small TT flags to them - and added a light-bar, or a bar to add rear lights to.

Since the Bontrager Flair R's require a handlebar-like mount, used a piece of grey PVC, drilled holes on each side, and used zip ties for friction so I could raise and lower said light-bar up or down.
    alp7ujpd2ono.jpg

Later on I added a foam pool noodle and found that it did not made for a very good head rest while riding. After adding a thick pool noodle my shoulders gained a cushion - since the seat isn't nearly as high as I would have liked.
    Thought about making a seat extension with metal pegs to hold into place.

Bontrager Flair R has 4 modes: Steady Bright, Steady Low, Irregular Daytime Strobe, Nighttime Strobe. I've had many compliments and remarks about the daytime running strobe.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-lights/bontrager-flare-r-tail-light/p/13202/
    But... I would rather have a mounting bracket to fit on the angled headrest mount so I could mount one up higher. So far not found anything that will work, and The Nob isn't wide enough - may have to add an extension to it and try that way.

Alternatively I also run a Bontrager Ion 800 R on front, which has 5 modes: Irregular Daytime Strobe, Nighttime Strobe, Steady High, Steady Medium, Steady Low,
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-accessories/bike-lights/bontrager-ion-800-r/p/14302/
    The Nighttime Strobe keeps a medium-low beam on the road at all times, and a steady flashing mode with it, so you get the strobe & a constant illuminated frontal beam.
    Wished had two of these really, as the steady beam does not last as long and I have a few dark stretches where I'd like a tad more lighting.

And why all this?

¬ ITL
  • Love my under/behind seat bag for my Rambler EVO. Plenty of space!