Right brake pads locked

Dumas here rode a bit Wednesday with right brake locked. Didn't realize it
right away and don't really know how far I rode with it like that. Pads don't
release like the other does. Could the pads be damaged? What is my first
step?

Comments

• I'm surprised you were able to even move the trike with the brake locked. That tells me that the brake wasn't adjusted correctly.

Back the pads off a bit, spin the wheel. If it's not grabbing anywhere, then tighten the pads up a little bit. Keep testing for the brake rubbing. Do a look on YouTube for adjusting bike disk brakes. You should see a few good guides on how to adjust them.
  • I adjusted the knob down by the caliper
    after watching a video. Really grabs now. Can't move wheel with parking brake on. I looked at the pads and disc as I applied brake and saw a small gap
    on the inside. No gap on outside.
  • edited August 2017
    one of the signs of cable stretch, quite common. you need daylight between either pad and the rotor. flashlight is quite helpful in making sure there is enough pad projection to avoid the rotor chewing on the caliper walls. using velcro straps instead of the push-buttons when parking will prolong the life of the brake cables.
  • edited August 2017

http://www.www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Yn3xd6kcY nails it, gets caliper parallel with rotor.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    http://www.www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Yn3xd6kcY nails it, gets caliper parallel with rotor.

Broken link
  • JamesR wrote: »
    one of the signs of cable stretch, quite common. you need daylight between either pad and the rotor. flashlight is quite helpful in making sure there is enough pad projection to avoid the rotor chewing on the caliper walls. using velcro straps instead of the push-buttons when parking will prolong the life of the brake cables.

Most times cable stretch happens within the first couple of hundred miles. I use push button locks on handles and have for many years , and never have to adjust the barrel adjuster for cable stretch
  • Thanks. I am the third owner of this 2013 model. Was told not many miles on it. Put Marathons on it while up north. Met an amputee woman with a Rover. She was a runner and was hit by a drunk driver 25 years ago. Now into triking. Has the same tires I took off
    Hers is a 2015 Rover, blue. I am going to look at the brakes close today, once I get a pulse. Wife's going to get the paddles out again, clear prop. :) :)
  • This is a good video. It uses the BB7 brake, but other brakes are similar as far as adjustment.
  • @Elrique64 - apologies for misposting link, old men and butterfingers stuff.

• There is light coming thru the tight side. I have noticed that the rotor deflects a bit when brakes are applied. That is what I'll work on as the next project. Bought a Schwinn upright tire pump at
    Walmart that does a flat to 50 psi in
    15 pumps.
  • $23 at home depot - very lightweight battery powered pump. Heaviest thing is the battery. Doesn't come with one, assumes you have one from other Ryobi tools.
    My wife and I never ride without it once we got it
  • Just have the lil ones in our bike bags. Have a compressor but that is wrapped up in a tarp in the kayak trailer for the trip nordth in two weeks. I guess 0-rings are replaceable inside these pumps when they go.